thumbs up for my LBS

Home Forum Bike Forum thumbs up for my LBS

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • thumbs up for my LBS
  • Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Name the nice LBS then.

🙂

Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

The Bike Factory in Whaley Bridge

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

agree thumbs up for good LBS service, but that’s an interesting point.

If the bearings are supposed to be lifetime warranty (ie never need replacing) why would you expect to have to pay labour if that turns out to be false?

I can understand the shop should get paid for doing the work but that would be between them and the manufacturer, surely?

As example – my car was recalled recently for a faulty EGR valve. A manufacturer fault, replaced by the main dealer. Should I be grateful i didn’t get a workshop charge for it?

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Mine did me well today, as ever and sorted out some replacement plates to go in my shoes, these seem not to be available other than with Shimano Cleats, I run Times.

A small but essential item that saved me a lot of hassle and indeed some cost.

All at a very reasonable price too. Cycle Kingdom in Fleet.

Subscriber

Although not so local any more since moving 12 miles further away, but…

Had a squeaky swing arm on my Whyte 46 which was the main pivot bearings. These have a lifetime guarantee, but I wasn’t expecting the labour to be FOC too. Props to them…happy customer 😀

Subscriber

theotherjonv, I think the big difference between car dealerships and bike shops – in my experience at least – is that the car is under warranty as a whole, albeit with some parts excluded. The labour is therefore part of that car warranty. Bikes are probably warrantied for a year or maybe 2 max, but the parts may individually be warranteed for longer. I wouldn’t expect any car dealership to indefinitely provide FOC labour to replace lifetime warrantied parts.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it put a smile on my face

I also don’t equate “lifetime warranty” with “never need replacing”. Two very different statements if you ask me

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

put it this way – if my LBS charged me labour for replacing it a bit that had a lifetime warranty, I’d be less than thrilled and seeking a new LBS.

There are LBS guys on here – what’s the rub here then?

I also don’t equate “lifetime warranty” with “never need replacing”. Two very different statements if you ask me

OK, I’m sure that’s interpretation but what in proper terms do you think lifetime warranty does mean then? I’m guessing “it shouldn’t need replacing, but never say never – but if it does we’ll give you new ones but you’ll get charged for the labour bit” wouldn’t be considered much of a selling point.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good service from the LBS but it’s also what I’d expect. Or do I expect too much?

Would genuinely like to hear opinions, otherwise I’m going to be the bloke contesting a labour charge at some point in the future while everyone shakes their heads at me.

Subscriber

what in proper terms do you think lifetime warranty does mean then? I’m guessing “it shouldn’t need replacing, but never say never – but if it does we’ll give you new ones but you’ll get charged for the labour bit”

yes, exactly. I see lots of posts on here with people moaning about certain forks that “need” servicing every 5 minutes and cost a bomb for that servicing. FOC warranty parts are much better than that, even if you have to pay for labour. For all I know the LBS will reclaim the labour off the manufacturer.

Of course this is irrelevant since I didn’t get charged. Hurrah! 😀

Premier Icon singletrackmatt
    Subscriber

I think the whole lifetime Guarantee* thing put LBS in a no win situation (speaking as an ex LBS) Yes the part from the manufacterer may be replaced under warranty but takes in no account of time for the LBS or Mechanic working for them- When The Second Generation Cannondale Scalpel came out it cost a bloody fortune in un-reclaimable labour .

*Why would you do that anyway for a moving bearing dragged through mud and grinding paste?

Subscriber

*Why would you do that anyway for a moving bearing dragged through mud and grinding paste?

As a manufacturer I have no idea, as a consumer I’m delighted

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘thumbs up for my LBS’ is closed to new replies.