Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thumbnails not visible in File Explorer
  • Harry_the_Spider

Just dumped a load of photos to the hard drive on my new laptop that will be transferred to a backup drive in the next couple of days.

Got a message to say that my One Drive was full, but I’m not bothered about that. However, I can’t see the thumbnails and I get a little red cross (One Drive?). The images are there, but without opening them I don’t know what they are… And there are 4,800 of them!

Any idea how to get my thumbnails?

stumpy01

Is it just a case of the laptop needing some time to create thumbnails for all of the images?
    If you dumped all of those photos in one go maybe it just needs to churn through them all and generate the thumbnails?

Dunno if that will apply to a laptop, but I know my NAS drive can take a while to create thumbnails because it’s not very powerful.

Harry_the_Spider

Been like this for a couple of hours. The ones that are behaving have a cloud icon on the corner. Those that don’t have a cross. Some sort of synch error? Really not bothered about the OneDrive.

Harry_the_Spider

Any thoughts from the day shift?

Greybeard
    Free Member

If it’s Windows 11, there are apparently some issues with the way thumbnails are working, and you need to choose large or medium icons, not small. Google has quite a few hits for windows 11 thumbnails.

I don’t understand how OneDrive is involved?

oceanskipper

Are you automatically syncing with OneDrive the folder where you dumped them? If you are and your OneDrive is full then that might explain it…

Put them somewhere other than “Pictures” or “Documents” folders…

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks. Seems to have worked.

As I don’t actually want OneDrive what would be the consequence of uninstalling it?

Cougar

Why would you not? It’s free backup and versioning.

If you go into its settings you can select what is / isn’t synced, so you could (for instance) deselect the Pictures folder but keep Documents. It’s not an all-or-nothing solution.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.