Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Thumbies
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Feeling retro and retro my wife’s bikes got them, my daughters bike got them ( a mint muddy fox courier mixe frame)
    Where do you .get new ones from?
    I checked out the Paul converters , but how does it all work out?

flap_jack
    Free Member
    rp16v
    Free Member

I have some deore lx ones knocking about u can have for 15 posted im never going to use them again(down sizeing the fleet)

JoeG
    Free Member

Microshift make new ones, I’ve heard that they’re not cheap, though. I think that they do 8, 9, and 10 speed but I’m not positive. i believe that Surly use them on some of their fatbikes.

globalti
    Free Member

rp16v I’ll buy the thumbies, you’ve got mail.

T1000
    Free Member

Sjs sell their own version (forge mounts…. Like Paul’s + dura ace tt shifters) cheaper than Paul’s

Have some suntour Xc pro thumbies for sale 7/8 speed £20 posted

T1000
    Free Member

Oops should have said + I have some Xc pro thumbies for sale…

globalti
    Free Member

I’m even more interested in the Suntour XC Pros than the Deore LX – I’ve tried to contact you but can’t see an email address; can you PM me?

globalti
    Free Member

Bump

T1000
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    whats your email address?

globalti
    Free Member

I can’t find yours and I can’t see how to add mine to my profile so I’ve added it as my website address.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

You can run a 9-speed cassette with 8-speed SunTour thumbshifters if you use the Hubbub modification to the cable routing at the mech:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

You set things up so that you have the eight highest gears with ‘clicks’ and then the lowest (biggest back cog) is a friction gear, with the mech travel limited by the appropriate adjuster screw.

bentudder

Velo Orange mounts here, plus Dia Compe downtube shifters (Rivendell also sell the Dia Compes branded as their own for extra dosh, but a bit of extra smug). They work very nicely indeed.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have some suntour Xc pro thumbies for sale 7/8 speed £20 posted

I don’t think they’ll work properly with modern Shimano cassette spacing though. Suntour used their own standards.
    I tried mixing Shimano and Suntour back in about 1993 and it didn’t work.

JoeG
    Free Member

I still run Suntour XC Pro thumbshifters on my bike. Been doing it with a mix of Suntour and Shimano for years. The Suntour thumbies will work fine with any 8 speed cassette and a Shimano non-10 speed derailleur. I use SRAM chains on mine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Thumbies’ is closed to new replies.