Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Thule tow bar racks
  • Andy_K

Does anyone have any experience of the cheaper Thule models like the 9502/941 (sub £200) verses the top end ones like the 928 (£300+)?

Basically need to be able to fit 2 enduro bikes on, and not sure if the cheaper models have enough wheel base, especially as mine’s an XL Transition!

Cheers!

weeksy

I’ve got an earlier variation of the 9502 i think, it fits 29ers, Enduros, etc. Biggest was a Commencal MEta AM29, no issues at all.

I’ve done BPW with 3 Enduro bikes on it without issue. Taken to Southern France with 3 bikes… All good.

SirHC

I have a 928 and have no issues with the wheelbase, fits my Reign fine (1220mm wheelbase) and there is room for atleast another 50mm.

One issue you will find is the distance between the bikes, the 928 is 22cm between the wheel trails, 941 is 17cm. With boost width frames/forks you need the extra wheelbase (on top of the distance between the wheel trays) adjustement so you can shuffle bikes left and right for axles to clear. (Trek’s rear qr is silly wide)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Andy_K

928 is one of the silly expensive ones though. Really needs to be one of the cheaper end ones.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have an old Thule that may be a 9502 but three bike version, certainly looks the same.

It is a little narrow for my 1200mm or so bike but is usable, just means it wants to roll off until I have the wheels strapped on.

Also the bikes do sit close together but this is not a problem for me carrying two bikes on a three bike carrier.

Another issue is the tilt mechanism, too much hassle to use.

I am treating myself to a new rack, one of these

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/buzz_rack_scorpion_2_bike_folding_wheel_support_rack_brp602/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4urewybzg

Edit: As a CTC member I’m getting 5% off too, price is good anyway I think

funkweasel
    Free Member

If you need to carry two bikes, you’ll need to get one designed to carry 3.

oikeith

I also have the 9504 (3 bike version of the 9502) picked it up second hand for circa £90 few years back. Been using it few times a week ever since picking it up, dont know why I never got one sooner!

I have an XL 29er and it fits on it fine, slight balancing act before you get it strapped in, but with use you get really slick at loading up! The wheels on the Xl 29er do poke out past the width of the car body on each side, but no more then the wing mirrors.

Ive done all sorts of miles using it covering A roads, motorways and country lanes, for example Ive done Exeter to BPW with my XL29er, whyte t130 and a DH bike, there were no issues. For extra safety, I did use a ratchet strap to go with the stock straps.

The rack does say limited to 45kgs and a max speed of 80mph but I’m sure I have gone over this and haven’t lost a bike yet!

The stock straps that came with it where n’t too great, I picked up some fasty straps as recommended on here and they have been great.

br
    Free Member

One issue you will find is the distance between the bikes, the 928 is 22cm between the wheel trails, 941 is 17cm. With boost width frames/forks you need the extra wheelbase (on top of the distance between the wheel trays) adjustement so you can shuffle bikes left and right for axles to clear. (Trek’s rear qr is silly wide) [/I]

On my Thule I cut down the first bikes extension to the clamp, from 100mm to 50mm, means that two wider bikes fit better.

http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/images/cycle-carriers/941-euroride-large.jpg

andyg1966

Get a 4 bike Pendle and only fit 3 sets of hoops. Masses of space. Plenty second hand too.

The carriers with the top tube holders that reach from the front are a PITA to thread through FS bikes with low top tubes and shocks. Avoid.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Thule tow bar racks’ is closed to new replies.