Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Thule ProRide 591 bike mount any good?
  • JackHardcore
    Free Member

As title, anyone use a Thule ProRide 591 cyclemount?

I’ve a CUBE Stereo and neeed something suitable, I’ve roof bars already that I use for my snowboards/skis so roof mounted would be best… just nervous about £2000’s of bike on my roof, need something VERY secure!

Also I’ve pretty wide tyres, fat alberts I think, 2.4… that going to be suitable??

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I have two – they are brilliant. Solid as a rock (if fitted properly)! Tyres will be a squeeze but should be fine.

brassneck

Yup, they’re great. The backup for spares from Thule is great too, they sent me three new rockers that got lost during a house move for a donation to the NSPCC. You ‘ll probably want to drop a few psi on the tyres but should go on – largest I’ve fitted were Michelin 2.15s but they seemed like clown bike tyres to me, they were huge.

iainc

the more recent ones have longer straps to accomodate bigger tyres. I have 2.35’s and they fit fine with loads to spare

richmtb

Got two on my car, they had an issue with the wheel trays snapping when you used big tyres but the more recent ones have a slightly different design with more reinforcement so as Ian says not an issue with bigger tyres now

JackHardcore
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies!! Does anyone use the optional THULE 9772 rim adaptors? Says they protect the rims?

Thanks!

lipseal
    Free Member

Bit unnerving in high winds but they are rock solid, just make sure you remember to use the locks plus I use a bike lock too.
    TBH didn’t know there was a rim adapter, might get some.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Rock solid. I’ve got two and regularly carry my mates Stereo (with the same stupid 2.4 Schwalbes too!). Not a problem. Did nearly loose them off the roof once on the M6 but that was due to not tightening the roof rack up enough – the 591s actually saved the day as they were holding the front and rear of the roofrack together!

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Re: rim adapters. My older 591s just had the two wheel straps. I bought two new 591s this year and they have an extra piece of rubber that threads onto the wheel straps. I guess this is supposed to protect the rim; doesn’t look like the 9772 though.

Never damaged a rim, but the rubber piece seems to make the front wheel especially more secure.

edit: the racks seem very solid to me

iainc

there are occiasional tales of the bikes coming of, but usually seem to be to do with not being fastened up properly etc. I do keep the speed below 80 when I have bikes on the roof right enough -)

JackHardcore
    Free Member

Fantastic, love this forum 🙂

I just got two for £115 delivered… bloody bargain if they are as good as you say!

Thanks again!

snowslave

I’ve got 3 – my last one was from Tescos online pretty cheap.

Used them prolifically, including trips to the Alps, and I think they’re easily the best of all roof mounted options.

I have noticed occasionally some bike frames can be fiddly – if you’ve got a complicated bit of suspension/welding near the bottom bracket, try them out first.

Also, I’ve started taking them off when not in use, cos it advertises there are bikes around the house/garage etc. to the hobgoblins. But that’s probably only applicable in Manchester, which of course is hobgoblin crime central.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Word of warning…
    A mate recently had a bike snatched from the roof of his car. The clamp (although it locks) isnt secure and just bends out of place if pressure is applied. So dont go leaving it anywhere you wouldnt leave an unlocked bike.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thats just common sense though…

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I would advise regularly lubricating the locks, as I had to recently drill my locks out of the roof bars (same locks as the 591) after they seized.
    Had mine for years and they work like new, the black paint has flaked off one of the arms, but hasn’t rusted or corroded.
    Jack Hardcore – where did you buy them for £115 delivered?

snowslave

They’re £95 on tesco online…

Dansk1

Great, unless you’ve got a Marin.

Will gradually scuff through bike paint though, so use helicopter tape where it grips if you’re bothered by such things.

iainc

My mate had a problem with his Mount Vision, but by unbolting the forward mount and moving the wheel tray forward about 15cm it fitted fine

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Thats just common sense though…

Not if you think its secure…

JackHardcore
    Free Member

They’re £95 on tesco online…

Yeah, each! I got two on ebay brand new 2010 models for £115ish via 48 hour courier 🙂

richmtb

I got mine here

Skidrive

Very good prices and good service, carry all the spares too if you lose/break something

richmtb

My mates Marin full sus fits on the drivers side with the frame clamp in the gap between the BB and the linkages its a bit snug but it fits fine and is nce and secure

iainc

rich – we both have mates with Marins 😥 we need more mates !!!

you guys still ok for Sunday ? looks like there will be snow on the tops 😛

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of these and the seem very good. Wider rails would be nice for bigger tyres but it doesn’t appear to be a problem in practice. I’ve not tried my old Enduro on the rack yet, but all the other bikes have been fine.

TiRed

I have four on top of the CRV. Love them. Time to unload and load is minimal compared to all other carriers. They can mark a dirty frame, so I wash just that part of the bike before I leave. I binned the rubber rim protectors on the two newest as they are just extra pfaff.

It’s not obvious (until you’ve mounted all four, spaced them out, cut the rubber aero tracking filler, then read the instructions to the end), but you can reverse them so that the locking mechanisms can point to either side – not an issue for three, but it is for four.

“Only a 20 minute job dear…” 😳

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Thule ProRide 591 bike mount any good?’ is closed to new replies.