Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Thule foot pack stuck
  • trap6
    Free Member

Hey guys
    I’ve had the roof rack attached for some time now (2 months give/take a week or two),and the foot pack locking handles have seized,I can’t get any movement when trying to unscrew,I’ve tried squirting some penetrating oil but nothing is shifting,I know I know I shouldn’t of left for so long,or should of copper greased
    Or such like,is there magic remedy without cutting them off…
    Tia.

mechanicaldope

Don’t really understand what your issue is but would be supprised if this isn’t user error at this stage, not when you fitted them. . I am sure you are missing something. 2 months is nothing for a roofbars to be on. Nothing is going to have corroded together in that time. What footpack/bar are you using?

joebristol

My footpack has been on my Jaguar XE for 2.5 years and last time I checked nothing had seized.

I guess worst comes to the worst you could use an Allen key with more leverage than the little green / grey handled things if I’m a thinking of your problem correctly. The bolts shouldn’t have too much torque on them if you used the standard handles and worked by the little gauge thing on them.

trap6
    Free Member

Not think user error,I’ve never over tightened purely for this reason,not sure on model,I bought them 2 1/2 years ago,this is the longest period they’ve been on,the handles pull out and they have key locks in middle,unlock/pullout then unscrew,the handles are a little loose when undoing,they have to be seated onto what I think is a nut of some description inside,I cannot see any rust on threads,on the last take off they were a lot stiffer too unscrew,in hindsight wish I’d greased.

trap6
    Free Member

Bar is wing,T track that slots onto foot pack.
    No sign of any Allen key bolts,I’m guessing inside locking handles there may be a Allen bolt??

binman

There are some different combinations of bars / footpacks. If your key lock is on the footpack, you unlock it, remove the cover and then loosen off the exposed allen keys.

binman

Meant allen bolt heads with a 5mm (?) key ?

trap6
    Free Member

Yes,that’s the one,decided too have a proper look,unclipped cover of handle lock,but they’re not Allen key heads,I’ve never seen these before,more like a grip type head??not hex,bit like a rippled mushroom,or one of those little gem sweets made of hard jelly,im sure theres a socket that’ll grip,thanks for input.

chr1s
    Free Member

Hi Trap6

I have the same issue. I’ve removed the little cover by the lock and see that splined mushroom headed spindle what socket did you use to it?

13mm socket just spins and 12mm is too small.

chr1s
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter now,

i sprayed some more penetrating spray, gave it a bit of a bash and 1 side came off ok the other i was able to get off after taking the bar of the foot and managed to undo the foot enough to wriggle it off the roof rail,

On the work bench i went to lube it all up and noted that the first foot came off because the bolt had snapped in the middle, not because i had wound it out 🙁

Now need another “Thule 757 Rapid System Railing Foot Pack for Car Roof Racks (THU757)”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Thule foot pack stuck’ is closed to new replies.