• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Thule CX1 trailer – anyone used one?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Wife is looking at horrifically expensive, like more than the car for a second hand one, bike trailer for the small child.

Anyone used one? Is it any good? He’s three months old and can’t really hold his head up, this claims to be OK for him, does experience back this up?

Cheers.

burko73

We bought a second hand pre Thule chariot single seater cts for our first child. used it loads behind the bike and also as a jogger (not necessarily jogging but the 3 big wheels mean it is super efficient as an off road buggy) with the big wheel at the front. We had a baby insert for it but didn’t get it until our daughter was well over a yr old so I can’t help you there. I think advice at the time was wait until the kid is over a yr if you’re going off rd.

Having looked at or used a few other trailers we thought we’d scan ebay for a decent price second hand chariot  and sell it on when we were finished. If its in good nick it’ll be easy enough to sell I guessed.

atrthanks
    Free Member

Trailers don’t really seem to wear out our depreciate. One of the other parents at the nursery delivers their kids in a Burley trailer every day – Brixton to Waterloo – and it still looks in good nick after a couple of years. So I guess it’s an “investment”.

If you like I’ve got a Burley Honeybee trailer you could have (including a second trailer hitch – so you can have two bikes set up to tow). Its only been used for 2 holidays – 6 days of cycling. It rolls brilliantly but the boy is now too big for it. You can buy an infant insert.

Not sure what a fair price would be. £350 new so maybe £250. Based in London. Can send photos.

leffeboy

I had the two child version back when it was owned by Chariot. My eldest was in it until she was almost 6 (when I needed to move both rather than use bike seat).  I then went it to two other families for several years for their children including several touring holidays and now it’s back with me.  The wheels feel a little rattly now and the hitch is very worn but new bearings would fix that I think. The hitch on mine said to replace after several years but that was never done. Highly recommended although I confess I’m not sure I would put a young baby in as there isn’t really any suspension and they really do bump around

Looking at how to build mine out to be a trailer for shopping now

grahamt1980

We have the cx1. It’s great, has fairly rudimentary suspension but it works.

I got an infant insert (basically a polystyrene bed) and strapped it in. Didn’t bike with the boy until he was older but it was a great off road trailer when he was little. I can sell you the insert if you want it.

The trailer is awesome, have used it for biking, running and walking, I even managed to roll it last time out, which got me a telling off from the little boy who said i was going too fast.

In short yes it is expensive ~900 for ours. But is absolutely worth it. We have pics of zach at chicksands in it from 6 weeks old

ransos
    Free Member

Burley, Croozer and Thule/ Chariot are all high quality, you can’t really go wrong.

alchiltern
    Free Member

We’ve got a Chariot CX1, we use it for day’s out, road rides to the park / pub, wide tracked off road,  road running, trail running, town bimbling and shopping. It’s  got them all covered, especially the trail running. Used from 12 months with the head support, she’s  three now and loves going out in it, whatever we’re  doing.

Keep an eye on Ebay, Gumtree et al,  we paid £350, it’s  an older version but in great condition. One thing I would say about alternatives, if you’re  doing any reasonable  running, having an effective brake is a probably worth considering, they can carry a fair  bit of momentum.

i_like_food

We had a Chariot CX1 second hand when out nipper was born. Used it as a trailer, jogging  buggy and stroller (with the additional wheels). Had the baby sling and so used it once he could hold his head and added some old  puffer jackets to hold his head at first (jogging round the track).

We both say it’s the best thing we had, used it endlessly for about 3 years then sold it for almost what we bought it for. We basically rented it for 3 years for £75 and it allowed to be be active together and continue have adventures.

If you’re an active family you won’t regret it.

Good luck!

richardkennerley

As above, we’ve got an older chariot version. Started using it with the baby sling when little one was just under a year. They recommend waiting until 12 months old, but it’s all to do with them having a strong enough neck to support themselves.

I’ve not done anything extreme with it yet, but little one loves going out in it for little rides round local area and up and down the prom, nursery drop off etc’. Would like to try some forest trails really.

Also have the third jogger wheel and we got loads of use out if it as an off road pram until we bought a better primary pram.

It is quite heavy, but it’s sturdy. It does fold down, but it takes up loads of room in the boot.

You won’t regret it, so long as you actually use it!

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Sound very positive

I’m near Edinbrugh ATR, is it a PITA to post?

Quick suplementary hub questions: Wife has a Genesis CDF steel frame cross bike, convential QR rear hub, geared with a disc brake. I have an alloy Ridgeback tourning frame, Di2 Alfine 8 with a bolted hub, disc brake and tensioner. I guess they have built in clearence for mechs and things as that’s fairly common, disc brakes maybe less so amongst trailer users? Any issues with them fouling? Both chainstay-mounted calipers and 165mm rotors. Also, is it easy to swap from one to the other? Do the bolted-hub adapters just stay on the hub and the trailer pops on and off or is that a bit of a pain, or more so than any other kind of trailer?

grahamt1980

We have the one with the qr adaptor. No problems with clearance at all.

Should clear pretty much all rotor sizes as it stays well clear of the frame

csb

Used a 2nd hand cx2 for 3 years to get 2 kids a mile to nursery. Very heavy but bombproof. Massive to store folded and so wide I had to get the garden gate widened. Cx1 would be easier. Got a hitch from holland (they dont allow here no idea why) that clamped onto the non drive chainstay that let me and the wife transfer easily. They don’t work on disc bikes. Had a baby sling  that we used from 9 months just fine.

grahamt1980

The weber insert is the thing we have, forgot the name of it

jaminb
    Free Member

we lashed the car seat into our Burley – supports the baby and the extra weight of the seat makes the suspension work.  We took our 3 week old on the Eroica family ride the other week – she slept all the way same at Freeride yesterday.  Older one doesnt seam to have suffered any ill effects – she wanted to get in yesterday but there isnt room with the car seat.

lesgrandepotato

Fantastic piece of kit. We have to sell ours it’s surplus to requirements. Has baby adapter, running wheels, and bike hook and a couple of hitches

lesgrandepotato

Located in Cumbria. Come have a look / trial if you lieks

richardkennerley

I use the trailer with a croix de fer (qr adapter) no problems 👍

I’d like to get the correct adapter so I can use it with my MTB as well, but they’re bloody expensive!

Daffy

The Robert Axle Project axles are cheaper and work fine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Thule CX1 trailer – anyone used one?’ is closed to new replies.