Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thule carriers and Loooong bikes
  • teethgrinder

Th next frame is a longer, lower, slacker 29er. Geo charts has this as 90mm longer (making it 1287mm) than the current bike.

Anyone know what the max length a Thule 591 will take, or has anyone modified the alloy base to extend it?

sotonkona
    Free Member

I’ve used both the ProRide 591 and now the 598 with my carbon Process 134 29er in XL. My bike wheelbase is only a little shorter than yours at 1255mm which is just outside the Thule max size. Both have worked fine for me on several long motorway journeys and feels perfectly sturdy. I haven’t modified the base as the tyres just about squeeze in! Max wheelbase on the 591 is 1182 and 1235 on the 598. The 598 does feel much sturdier as the design is a little better.

nedrapier

Depending on your fork offset, you can lose 6-10cms wheelbase by turning the bars 180 degrees.

StuF

Flipped the forks round on my Soul and a very old thule rack. It survived a trip to Italy and back

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I get a longest Geometron on my racks (don’t know if its a 591 or 598 mind, I’d guess 591), that’s got a wheelbase of 1324mm.

Biggest problem is the incessant talking up of its reach /wheel base by the owner and being unable to escape it in the car.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Bike rack – long wheelbase

Plenty of comments in this thread you may find useful.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I dunno but living in peebles and parking on the main road, there have been a few instances where the wheels have nearly clouted be whilst moving around the car.

so… one hwere the wheels come off?

teethgrinder

The 591 has about 30mm more for the wheel clamps to go at either end before hitting the end stops. Guess I’ll wait to try it, and if it doesn’t fit, it’s either turning the bars or cutting the rail and bolting in a couple of lengths of steel plate.

I dunno but living in peebles and parking on the main road, there have been a few instances where the wheels have nearly clouted be whilst moving around the car.

so… one hwere the wheels come off?

Hopefully this won’t be an issue with the bike on the roof – though I have seen some decent overhangs in various car parks on rear-mounted racks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.