Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Thrifty car hire: experiences?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Meant to be picking up a car tomorrow morning. Booked a BMW 3 series “or similar” for ten days 250 notes. Nothing on any of the paperwork or booking voucher mentions deposit or bond, just what ID to take. I do have a credit card but the limit is only 600, I never use it and not sure about the pin either.

Anyways, too late to phone now. Just been Googling and seems they don’t have the greatest rep. Is that fair to say? Don’t suppose any has used them of recent and knows how much they expect for a deposit?

nairnster
    Free Member

I would imagine somewhere in the region of 2-300 hundred, which is about the going rate, although some companies charge differing amounts in different areas.

nairnster
    Free Member

In fact it’s all there, scroll down to rental payment terms.

I would say £300

http://www.thrifty.co.uk/uk-booking-guide.htm

diz

Used them half a dozen times this year they just wanted a credit card swip as bond, each time I’ve used them they’ve been excellent, super efficient with clean decent cars.

allthegear
    Free Member

Thrifty are really good. I used them regularly last year. DO take the full insurance.

Rachel

Smudger666

yeah – take the full insurance and check the car before you leave.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I hired online and followed a link with the transaction for an insurance waiver – €33 for the three days. When I picked the car up at Dublin airport the employee told me that this wasn’t Thrifty’s own cover/waiver, which was then going to cost me just under €70, and so the full insurance excess of €1600 would be required, pre-authorised on my credit card.

Additionally, when the car was given to me the employee presented me with a series of photos on an iPad showing the car from all aspects, to demonstrate that there were no scratches or dents. I was then obliged to sign to say that the car was free from damage. When I actually checked the car I easily found 13 instances of damage, all of which I would have been liable for upon returning the vehicle. It added another 15 minutes to the collection time while I waited for another employee to go over the vehicle again with me to record all of the damage, so their time-saving iPad ‘inspection’ was completely pointless.

I would still use them again if they’re the cheapest and most convenient.

project
    Free Member

Tryed them once they wanted a 1000 quid deposit either cash or card, where snotty and unhelful, went to another local company, great customer service except for limited mileage allowance and 750 quid deposit damage waiver which they said they would keep in the event of damage or accident, and it was my problem to priove i hadnt damaged or crashed.

check mileage allowance, exxpect to have your picture taken ,large deposit etc.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

300 quid from debit card. Picked up a silver 320d with 500 miles on the clock. I didn’t take the excess reducing insurance (1250 quid down to just 250 for an extra 15 per day)

I have taken out excess cover from another comp when I got home. It was 32 quid for the ten days.

Found a scuff on the ns front wheel after they told me it was clear of any damage.

Annoyingly, some **** has already marked the full width of the boot lid. Not scratched but some kind of black line which I’ll need to buff n Polish out before sending back. Barstad….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Thrifty car hire: experiences?’ is closed to new replies.