Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Three day lakes Epic planned this weekend and..
  • GaVgAs
    Free Member

I havent actually finalised a route yet, Theres a group of us riding from Penrith and staying at High Cross yha (first night) Wasdale YHA (second night) and Keswick (Third night)

So I am lucky enough to have a pretty good knowledge of the Lakes, and don’t usually carry a map, but after the recent deluge of snow I am loosely thinking of the following route.

Askham fell, Ullswater lakeshore to Patterdale, either over Kirkstone pass (road) or grisedale tarn via fairfield col to Grasmere

Langdales, Rosset gill,Esk Hause, Styhead pass Wasdale Head

Or further south Via Walna Scar Hardknott, Miterdale ,Wasedale.

Wasedale, Blacksail pass, Scarth gap,Honister pass caslecragg

My question is whats the trail conditions like in these areas? ta 🙂

Gary_C

Can’t help with the trail conditions Gavin, but i’m as envious as owt looking at those routes !

boxelder

I’d definitely go Walna, then birks bridge and around the west side of Harter Fell, Miterdale, Burnmoor, Wasdale.
    Not sure about snow, but don’t think theres much north of Bootle (ish sort of area).

Seen my pics of Garburn from today? 😯

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Marin – no, link please.

Was with Max this evening. From the last 3 days riding – Grizedale North Face (not great riding anyway) very slow going and a lot of pushing. Loughrigg/Arnside (and likely Langdales?) riding OK. Today, Borrowdale Bash riding really well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hmmm if I wanted to know about Lakes conditions I’d be calling Gav…

boxelder

Snow really patchy though mike – 3 ft drifts in places near Lorton, but Fangs Brow clear??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers,

Not much use as currently sat in shorts in Oz…. was just winding Gav up really. I’ve seen plenty of good pics from there, apparently my old place was snowed in for a few days.

d45yth
    Free Member

Keep off the tops whatever you do…there has been an avalanche warning issued this evening! 😯

postierich
    Free Member

mad!! we kept it low level around Elterwater tonight and it was twitchy!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Skiddaw went in the week I heard. Keep it to steep slopes only

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, im kinda thinking we need to stay on the popular routes, to get some kind of rideable trails..

parkedtiger
    Free Member

GaVgAs – Member – Thanks for the replies, im kinda thinking we need to stay on the popular routes, to get some kind of rideable trails..

My advice would be: if you want to ride, don’t let Dave lead 😆

Have a great weekend – we’ll be down in The Bank on Sunday from about 7.30pm if you fancy a post-pizza beer !

tomaso
    Free Member

Yeah I was with Rich last night and around Little Langdale was hard going with drifts on exposed sections. Lower down, in the woods and on well trod paths it wasn’t too bad.

I think Rosset Gill, St Head and Black Sail would be very very hard going on what are already very difficult routes. Anywhere that hasn’t had the footfall or traffic has fairly fresh deep un-compacted snow that stops bikes dead – and I can’t see those passes having much footfall given how inhospitable the weather has been, especially with wind.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

cheers tomaso,much appreciated..

boxelder

Went up over Grizedale Pike just now – 3 ft deep in places on sheltered western slopes, otherwise ace.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Three day lakes Epic planned this weekend and..’ is closed to new replies.