• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Three bretheren – Borders
  • fergal
    Free Member

Any tips on the best and most enjoyable way to the top, from the Yair side, I know the Enduro last weekend has probably made some of the descents a little more challenging than usual, but any recommendations for a good descent from the very top, singletrack would be a real brucy bonus, ta in advance.

pigyn
    Free Member

From the Yair side the best way up is to just follow the southern upland way. It’s direct, efficient height gain.

Nice and quick, none of that fire road nonsense.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

My favourite has always been the Corbie Linn descent into Selkirk as used in the Merida Marathons. Nowt technical but absolutely flat out hooning all the way down.

fergal
    Free Member

Thanks, any pointers on a good descent, possibly obvious from the top? but i’m not sure, i have only done the old school loop up the minch road then back down towards Selkirk.

edit that one

br
    Free Member

The Enduro HAS made a mess of the usual tracks, but since they didn’t use Stage 1 that will be fine. Do you know that descent?

And, for something different for the climb. Leave the Yair Bridge car park and head for the start of the SUW climb in Yair Estate. About 50m before it (and just before the rise) there is a track to the left that follows a stream, take that. it crosses the stream and then climbs, take the first right and then the left onto the fire road. And right at the next. Follow until you get to the SUW.

fergal
    Free Member

Which descent was stage 1? please.

fergal
    Free Member

Could anyone comment on how double decker has held up.
    PS. i promised to take the boy out somewhere different, tomorrow looks like a break in the weather.

onehundredthidiot

There’s an enduro vid doing the rounds and double decker looks wrecked.

fergal
    Free Member

Come on guys where was stage 1 going to be, you go there with 400 hundred riders in an organised event, then get all my precious over a couple of guys looking for info.
    l will be going to have a look anyway, it would just be a little easier with a heads up, we will then be able to avoid the trashed areas, allowing them to recover, win win.

pigyn
    Free Member

Stage one was on the ridge line towards Selkirk, ends on the Yair to Selkirk road. The only other trail I know of that wasn’t used starts off the SUW in the direction of Inners. Have a strava explore then mark anything downhill onto an os map. Then repeat the climb as much as you want. Double decker will need to dry out for a few weeks.

br
    Free Member

From the saddle ride up the double track that traverses Peat Law. When you get to the crest, ignore what looks like a track to the left and continue for about 50-100m and there is a left singletrack thru the heather.

Follow this across to eventually you get to a gate (in the corner). Over the gate and follow the descent. Eventually you’ll get to the road. Be careful of windblow.

fergal
    Free Member

ta muchly, will get a ride in on the morrow.

petey
    Free Member

Fergal, if you are going to ride Sunderland Rig, could you maybe access the march gate by following the fenceline. We were asked by the farmer to stay off the open hill. It’s lambing time and he has sheep all over that part of the hill (anything east of the twintrack from Corby Linn to Yair Forest gate. Thanks in advance….Pete.

br
    Free Member

sorry Pete 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Three bretheren – Borders’ is closed to new replies.