Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Three bikes on roof & a roof box…?
  • Pook

Impossible? I want my big bike with me on our family holiday to Exmoor in a few weeks, so it’d be 3x adult bikes on top + the (normal size) roof box.

Cloud cuckoo land?

ransos
    Free Member

I can only fit one bike alongside my roofbox, and that’s a squeeze. Don’t forget that you need to allow extra space if you want to open it when the bike’s fitted.

tomhoward

Impossible?

Yeah that. Unless your daily driver is an aircraft carrier

winston
    Free Member

what bars? which box?   if its standard 120 cm bars (961) and a narrow 60 cm box then it might be possible if you can slide the box right to the edge but it will be a jigsaw fitting the bikes

franksinatra

Even if you could fit it on you will need to be careful of overloading, all roof bars have a maximum weight loading.

Pook

Skoda yeti with Thule aero bars

winston
    Free Member

Yeti has 135cm bars so it might well be possible. Don’t worry about the roof loading it will be 100kg and can safely be upped slightly

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You could get one of those sea sucker (or rock bros copies) and suction that onto the top of the roof box. That would work. Whilst the car isn’t moving.

T1000
    Free Member

If you hadn’t already gone bars, i’d have recommended Thule slide bars as loading the inboard bike will be difficult

ads678

If you manage it post a pic!!

tomhoward

For ads678…

ads678

🙂

We usually have four bikes on the rear rack (tow bar mount)and pretty large roof box on our trips to France in the summer, this year I want to take my and my lads road bikes as well. One will go on the roof next to the box but I might have to disassemble one and find room inside the car for the other.

The missus could fly I suppose……

hot_fiat

Yeti’s are tough:

It might just be possible with some jiggling, if you put one bike backwards and perhaps have one set of roofbox clamps on the outside of the rails. Our OEM skoda roof bars wouldn’t let you do that, the thules might (they’re aero, with separate clamps not wings with integrated, right?)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pedals off and stagger the mounts? bars off and zip ties to the fork with padding?

madhouse

I’ve had two bikes and a box on the roof of our car, if you get them nice and snug with the middle one facing backwards you might just be able to do it.

I filled the roof box first as you’ll find you will need to remove the bikes to open it.

Nowadays we’ve a rear (towbar) carrier.

lardman
    Free Member

I get two bikes and a roof box on the car, no problems. It’s an S-Max so quite wide.

When i need more on the top, i use a Seasucker mounted rearward of the box/racks for 3 more bikes.

It’s a faff to get them on/off, but for long trips it’s fine.

benp1

Just get a boot rack (if you don’t have a tow bar)

I had this problem, big roof box means no space for bikes. Previous I used a 2 bike boot carrier (kids were in a trailer then). new bike has electric boot so fitted a tow bar and a 4 bike carrier. Certainly makes life easier for getting the dog in and out too

Took 3 bikes with us to the lakes, was fine. 4 bikes going to france this summer, should be a piece of cake

joshvegas
    Free Member

Bikes in the car ziptie the humans.leave the luggage

takisawa2

If your going to spend hundreds on new racks etc, (& assuming one is available), just take a second car…

trail_rat
    Free Member

do like the dutch .

Trailer.

scotroutes

We get 6 bikes on the roof, so 3 on one side and a long thin box would work. That’s a Ford Tourneo though.

fletch71
    Free Member

We have had 2 bled and a large box, with one of the bike being a dh. One either side of the roof box, so I reckon you could do it with a narrow box.

kimbers

mate did it when we went to mega, but with a narrow box, pedals off, bars rotated

with a wide box, I doubt it unless you drive a humvee

2tyred

Depends how wide ‘normal’ is, surely.

I get four bikes and a narrow Thule box (like the one up there ^^ coffin type box) on the roof of our Zafira, no worries. One or two pedals off and maybe a seatpost up or down to make it all neat, but simple enough. Bikes all nose-to-tail.

Another three on the towbar rack and the smallest one inside (wheels off) means two bikes each for an Alps trip.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Three bikes on roof & a roof box…?’ is closed to new replies.