Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Three 5G broadband
  • ta11pau1

I’m currently on an out of contact vodafone FTTC broadband connection, which at 25/5mbps is lacking a bit most days – virgin media have expanded to less than a km away but don’t look like they’re going to be coming here anytime soon, so looking into alternatives – we get 5g signal here (according to the coverage checkers anyway) from both EE and Three. EE 5G broadband deals are rubbish value – £75 a month for 100GB? no thanks. But Three are doing unlimited data on 5g, 24 months at £27 (plus 50% off for the first 6 months, so £13.50), which is great value and only a few quid more than we’re paying now.

In a room with good reception, on EE 4G I get 40-50 down and 20-30 up, so fingers crossed the Three 5g signal is decent. Have ordered a Three payg sim to test the 4g on my phone and have asked a mate to do a drive by bandwidth test of the 5g on his phone 😀

I work from home with phone calls over voip and RDP so need a reliable connection, also PS5 downloads so more than 25mbps down would be really bloody helpful!

Anyone else on Three 5G home broadband who can share horror stories/insane speed test results?

Finally 5g is a possible landline broadband replacement, and it’ll only get better (or worse, as contention increases…).

mattyfez

I’d suck it and see – don’t three do a monthly PAYG contract, so if it sucks you can bin it or keep it if it’s ok?

I guess it’s not so much the upload/dowload speed, but the stability and realbility.

ta11pau1

Yeah their 5g payg sims aren’t speed limited apparently, unfortunately I don’t yet have a 5g device to be able to do a longer test.

TBH it can’t be much worse reliability wise than our current broadband, maybe a loss in connection once or twice a day. We had the line from house to pole replaced a few months back, and a new socket installed, then recently there was also a fault at the exchange. It’s now settled at 25mbps sync rate, and most broadband deals give 20mbps as the minimum guaranteed speed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve had 4g three home broadband for the last two years nearly. Whilst the coverage and download speeds can be acceptable the router that they provide is absolutely garbage. It’s the weakest link in the chain by far.

We’ve since signed up with sky and will be cancelling Three as soon as the contract expires.

I also have Three mobile which is fine as the 4G obviously doesn’t rely on the router

dirtyboy

Look for a mobile network coverage app, to confirm coverage I use Network Cell info off the play store

robertpb
    Free Member

I’m on 3 4g broadband, the router they supplied in tests came out the best, I have a Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 antenna attached. Just waiting for the 5g now.

ta11pau1

For anyone interested, this is the speed I’ve managed after a few hours of trying to get a decent 5g signal.

Bear in mind, I’m 900m away in a straight line from the mast, which is apparently on the edge of their range, with trees/houses/cars/you name it in between me and the mast. It’s also chucking it down outside and blowing a hooley, and 5g doesn’t like rain, or wet foliage… I’m pretty happy if I can get a solid, reliable 100-150mbps. download speed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Three 5G broadband’ is closed to new replies.