Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Threaded rod for home made BB press
  • singletracksurfer

Where can I get one from (online)?

Thanks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

eBay.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    stumpyjon

B & Q

belugabob
    Free Member

B&Q

singletracksurfer

Thanks.

Couldn’t find them on ebay and can’t got to the shops easily.

My problem might have been that I was looking at M8 or 10.

takisawa2

Ask for All Thread.
    How much do you need ?
    And what size ?

weeksy

I bought loads last week for my KTM crash bungs, M10 ebay… literally loads and loads of sellers.

singletracksurfer

I need 140mm in length. A couple of nuts which I know will fit would be good,
    although I may well have some that fit. If anyone has some extra they want to sell on.

I could see lots of packs of 5 and I have lots of other bolts and didn’t really want to buy 5 if I could get one somewhere.

singletracksurfer

thanks.

Lummox

I was looking and considering an acme threaded rod due to being a stronger thread, unfortunately finding threaded nuts proved a bit more problematic

nickhit3
    Free Member

just bought a DIY headset press of the above type for a few quid on eBay this week. Seemed less of a hassle than sourcing all the bits-but i was being especially lazy. Arrived all assembled at my door in 24hrs. Trying it on sunday. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say… seems like it’ll do the job nicely though. A departure for me from the old wood and mallet method…

fathomer

nickhit3 – which one did you buy, I need something to press a tapered headset in?

singletracksurfer

Yeah I saw the complete kits, they look pretty good and are good value, but I have the cups so just wanted the rod.

eulach

Buy the right tool for the job. It’ll save on the swearbox, the knuckles and doing it 5 times because it goes in crooked.

Nick

I tried to make one, it was complete pain the arse

Got one of these, made it so much easier

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TOJWHSP/jobsworth-headset-frame-cup-press-(also-bb-press)

theotherjonv

brilliant local bolt shop close to me

https://www.margnor.co.uk/

also now do online sales (albeit with P&P on top*)

I always feel vaguely embarrassed going in there, buying a selection of bits and pieces and then being presented with a bill for under £3

* a huge £3.50 plus VAT unless you spend £50. Which given most of my purchases are genuinely under £3 – I’d have to buy a chuff of a load of bolts to hit that £50!!

nickhit3
    Free Member

nickhit3 – which one did you buy, I need something to press a tapered headset in?

@fathomer can’t link it so some reason – but the seller is called ‘headset_123’ on ebay. ‘heavy duty’ model for £7.99. The heavy duty refers to the thicker square plate which avoids any washer bending. Yet to use the tool myself as i mentioned but the tool itself shouldn’t be to blame if it goes wrong.. will report back early next week if when it’s a success but it all looks exactly as all others ive seen on the net for the last few years. Seller based in UK, NE England if i recall, good communication and arrived v fast.

FWIW, I’m inserting a traditional cheap 1+1/8th FSA Pig DHPro headset. The OD of the lower assembly is EXACTLY the same dia as the circular washer on this press- the part shown with a green backing felt. Any smaller, and the press would be acting on the sealed bearing within the steel (in this case) cup assembly, something that could possibly damage a cartridge bearing during torquing. I’m confident there’s enough acting on the headset body to push in accurately having dry assembled the parts BUT if it was a larger headset you may want to mod the plates/washers possibly with a larger piece if wood for instance to increase the pressing area. Just a thought. Also, grease the threaded bar (and headset interface of course) liberally to aid pressing is something that I’ve seen mentioned loads.

PS to those reading this, no lectures on price please, i know i paid more than i wold buying bits etc… but CBA with that this time 😉

happybiker
    Free Member

After years of making do with nuts and bolts I decided to buy a proper bb press with adapters for all the current bb standards. It works well… Until I tried it on my Fargo headset which has the world’s longest head tube. I might get some of that threaded bar to extend it!

nickhit3
    Free Member

also, sorry for this- i know i’m actually lecturing here.., but to any pending smug comments along the lines of “pfff, buy the ‘right’ tool” that’s nothing but unhelpful in this context. As can be seen above, even they have their limits and drawbacks. No one reading this thread would be here if buying a vastly over priced branded tool was an option at this point in time. Super glad it is an option for some, but it wasn’t for me and neither the OP or countless others it seems. There is a time for spunking on £150 Park tools blah blah blah but this isn’t it. For various reasons this is particular mechanical is a VERY infrequent task for me, so i cant justify 3 figures on something i might use infrequently. The On-one tool looks great for £25 but…at the end of the day its just some black handles tack welded to the bolts over the solution some are describing above. Seems a lot comparatively for essentially the exact same solution that could be had for even less than i paid..

tthew

I was looking and considering an acme threaded rod due to being a stronger thread, unfortunately finding threaded nuts proved a bit more problematic

Unless you are actually trying to squash the headtube to a smaller length, I reckon M10 will be sufficiently strong!

Nick

that’s nothing but unhelpful in this context

Don’t agree really, my experience with homemade was frustrating, and I was pleasantly surprised how the apparently “exactly the same solution” wasn’t.

nickhit3
    Free Member

@ Nick Glad you found a solution that worked. You said you “tried to make one but it was a pain in the arse”. Did you manage to make a tool that worked or did you give up? Seems like there’s plenty of diy success out there. Sure i could buy a branded tool too but then… we wouldn’t be here would we?

My point still stands. If the OP was having car engine trouble for instance and I said, “yeah I tried cheap cars for years. Bought a Porsche in the end. Glad I did.” It wouldn’t look good eh? Op was looking for suggestions on the DIY route. Lazily telling him and/or others to ‘just buy this’ is information he’s likely to be aware of.

nickhit3
    Free Member

@singletracksurfer

Just a follow up- eBay press worked like a charm. Some gentle taps on the underside during initial press to keep the cups lined up with a regular hammer then screwing away as expected. Whole thing took about 5-10 mins. No mallet or block of wood deployed at any point. All things considered, for well under £10 and a little prep, I’ve got a new headset in. YMMV but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this to anyone in a similar position to me. If I did this routinely, of course a bespoke tool is best but I’m left impressed.

singletracksurfer

Thanks Nick. Do you have a link to it?

Thanks.

nickhit3
    Free Member

@singletracksurfer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Tool-Headset-Press-Headset-Cup-Press-Universal/232247113588

This is the seller. The tool I bought, the ‘Heavy Duty’ version for Headsets isn’t currently listed as i assume he makes them to order so to speak. If you want to see my own pics in use etc there’s a few shots of it on my Instagram @joyopposite

Cheers, hope it works for you!

singletracksurfer

Thanks

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Threaded rod for home made BB press’ is closed to new replies.