Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 192 total)
  • THREAD FOR VENTING ABOUT THE WEATHER
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

Payback for April, May and June of last year. Remember them?

April last year was very wet with the exception of a few decent days near the end. May and June were very dry, and July was exceptional.

Every year is different anyway.
    This is the wettest I’ve seen it in Summer. It’s like Summer 2012 and 2017 only worse. But not as bad as Winter 2015 – the worst I’ve ever seen it.

ratherbeintobago

It’s pissed it down all week. Getting really fed up with it now.

scuttler

Nonsense from last night’s ride. ‘Av iiiiiiiiit.

welshfarmer91

Well we did need a spot of rain but as usual it takes the mick, as long as it dries up for combining I’ll be happy.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Hailstone in June is a first for me and not in the highlands or up a mountain either, outrageous!

Drac

Hailstone in June is a first for me and not in the highlands or up a mountain either, outrageous!

Hailstones in early summer is a fairly common occurrence as they are caused by similar weather to thunderstorms.

Ben_H

I’ve had the small mercy of travelling with work a lot, which means no long bike commutes and fewer MTB rides (apart from some wet Bromptoning around London).

Just as well the work has coincided with rain… I hope it means tons of sunshine is due for when I stop travelling.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Nice puddle action scuttler!  Typical June weather if you ask me.

Haze

Most years people are moaning about the weather in June, usually following a decent April/May.

grannyjone
    Free Member

It’s not typical June weather.
    June is on average the month which has the most Sun hours and is the 3rd warmest month of the year temperature wise.
    It should not be a bog fest.
    If you don’t expect it to be good in June then you might as well never expect it to get good because “on average” no other month is much better. Only July and August are comparable and slightly warmer.

I’m talking about expectations. Of cause any month can be rubbish, as we can see right now. But the probability of June turning out total rubbish is lower than any other month except July and August.

garage-dweller

16-20 knots, wind against tide this morning. Wooohoooo! Not all on board agreed for very long but a short and lairy blast in the family dinghy says this weather isn’t so bad!

handybar
    Free Member

I can’t say I’ve really noticed it other than last week. Only a few years ago we had some really bad summers with all the flooding, I don’t think we are any where near that.
    The big change I’ve noted is how warm it is staying into the evenings/nighttime.

martinhutch

Had to hide under a digger today to avoid some torrential rain action. Don’t think I can sink any lower.

iainc

Dry and dusty gravel ride last night.

Couple of hours coaching kids this morning on almost dry trails with minimal mud.

Glasgow isn’t always wet 😀

oreetmon
    Free Member

Been up rivington , put a bit of rain down recently and scattered showers today. It was ace, all the cheekies needed an extra level of bollox to get down them in one piece.
    Got home full of mud and damp, just ace.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you don’t expect it to be good in June then you might as well never expect it to get good

June has often been a washout in recent years in the UK. As has July.

Probably a climate change thing.

Last year was a notable exception, in being dry and warm for ages.

sirromj

I make the same mistake over and over again, when the BBC says 20% chance of light rain around the time of my commutes, they mean 100% chance of me getting soaked UNLESS I take my waterproofs in which case it really is the odd dot here and there.

martinhutch

This is 20% chance of light showers in Yorkshire as seen from underneath aforementioned digger earlier:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2geE7US]IMG_20190615_140222[/url] by hutchinson2017, on Flickr

breadcrumb

I got a good dry lap of Whinlatter last night, hoping today’s dry weather holds out for tomorrow morning’s quick ride.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Lap of Llandegla today. Fairly dry with the odd puddle/bit of mud and it was a nice temperature!

Got home and it was bucketing down! Wettest I’ve been all day was wheeling the bikes into the house 🙂

grannyjone
    Free Member

June has often been a washout in recent years in the UK. As has July.

Probably a climate change thing.

Last year was a notable exception, in being dry and warm for ages.

The only month in recent years to be drier than June and July has been May which has been dry for 4 years in a row. But this is a fluke because pre-2016 it was usually a washout.

grannyjone
    Free Member

all the cheekies needed an extra level of bollox to get down them in one piece

I don’t thrive in bad conditions at all, the level of tech that I ride in the dry will result in me crashing. Or spinning out and failing a tech pedally section.

molgrips
    Free Member

but we’ve got autumn absolutely nailed.

Have we bollocks. Usually windy and wet for us at least.

grannyjone
    Free Member

but we’ve got autumn absolutely nailed.

Have we bollocks. Usually windy and wet for us at least.

He must be thinking back to 2015 and 2016 when it was a good September and October at least it was round here anyway

epicyclo

Today I was fed up of the weather, pissing rain, so loaded the bike in the car for a vintage ride.

I was totally prepared for misery.

Got to meeting point, rain stopped, sunshine most of day with the bonus of cooling headwinds.

Tracks were muddy and slimy though.

A win!

anono

OK – I’ve held off resurrecting this for a while.

I know its winter, its the UK and we expect a things to get a bit crappy.

I know we’ve had a couple of relatively dry winters before this one.

I’ve got the perfect bike for riding in winter slop.

I’ve even enjoyed some recent rides despite the conditions being the worst I can remember.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHEN WILL THE RAIN STOP!!!!

As above, I don’t mind a bit of mud – but on Wednesday I had to pedal to get down a descent that’s usually good for 25mph.

Add your vents/rants below.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

What really pisses me off is that it’s moderately dryish during the week and then hammers down all weekend. For the last three weeks.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve lived on the Sarf Downs for twenty years now, moved down in 2000, and this is the wettest I’ve seen it.  It’s been washed out since the end of September.  It’s been muddy and rubbish, Tuesdays ride was the lowlight, featuring eternal head winds, headset deep floods and then ankle deep mud for at least a mile on what I was hoping would be a less wet route.  It’s so wet near Lewes that I keep seeing Huey’s popping over the paddy field tree lines to take out Charlie with F4’s coming in and dropping “snake n nape” when the action gets too hot.

I want to move to Arizona.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I am so bored of cleaning mud off my bike, car, clothes and self.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

South Cotswolds are now impassable

Poopscoop

Bad weather? Lovely evening out!

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s the wind that annoys me more. Road riding passes the time at best but in the wind it’s grim if not actually dangerous. But the trails are slop.

Where did I put my smart trainer?

ta11pau1

Built my new carbon FS bike at the end of September, it’s not had a single ride when it’s not been covered in mud.

Just been constantly wet for 5 solid months now, I’m not even bothering this weekend, after the storms and rain it’s just going to be a mudfest plus dodging downed tree/branches.

Then you get a few days of no rain and think ‘ooh, it might be drying out a little…’ then BAM. A day of rain.

It’s been so bad I’ve taken up running.

Oh and I’m already thinking about building a singlespeed steel/Ti hardtail with a big fat 2.8″ 27.5 rear and 2.35″ 29 front mud tyre for next winters slopfest.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Early Jan was pretty good. Had shifted most of the chrimbo timber and starting to get a wriggle on. Now fatter than Christmas and depressed and demotivated and pissed off. All I want to do is ride my bike down a trail or two on a Sunday and commute twice a week. Three weeks now with nothing. Bag o shite.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Rain, soaked trails. Quite a mob this past 2 weeks tearing up tweed valley off piste. Sick of riding with packed tools to fix it all.

kayak23

Sick to death of it. Not touched my motorcycle for weeks.

Everywhere is a tiresome slog, and yeah, how does it know to be worst at the weekend?

Screw you God 😠

fatmountain
    Free Member

What really pisses me off is that it’s moderately dryish during the week and then hammers down all weekend. For the last three weeks.

This basically.

senorj

I’ve given up on local off road as it’s so wet. The wind is properly twisting my melon. It seems like a steady 20 mph nearly everyday since January! Piss right off.

crikey
    Free Member

Proper big girls blouse thread!

lister

Exactly the same as me @thestabiliser!

It’s shit and I’m miserable.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 192 total)

The topic ‘THREAD FOR VENTING ABOUT THE WEATHER’ is closed to new replies.