Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Thousands of Shimano parts stolen from gassed lorry driver
  • stwhannah

From Shimano to The Sopranos: Organised Crime Sets Sights on Bike Parts Bikes being stolen from shops and garages is a sadly common enough affair, but …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

Thousands of Shimano parts stolen from gassed lorry driver

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the button below.

honourablegeorge

Lol – “put him to sleep with gas let into the cab”

That bit is undoubtedly untrue, he either slept trough it, was pissed, was somewhere else, or was in on it.

thols2

That bit is undoubtedly untrue, he either slept trough it, was pissed, was somewhere else, or was in on it.

My money would be him being in on it or intimidated into silence.

Murray

Used to happen all the time in the 90s with lorries bringing Dell PCs from Ireland

chrismac

Even longer waits for parts

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Maybe the ebike parts will be stripped for spares since Shimano refuse to sell any?!

darlobiker

Police are looking for a man in a top hat wearing a monocle.

pmurden

@honourablegeaorge

I wouldn’t be surprised it’s been happening to people towing caravans and motorhomes on the continent for ages.

BigJohn

Even longer waits for parts

Quite the reverse. Depending on what sort of pubs you drink in.

ta11pau1

Hmm, I’m currently watching a set of cheap brand new cranks on eBay… Box slightly damaged…

😬

MSP

“put him to sleep with gas let into the cab”

Those truck stop breakfasts with baked beans can do that.

james-rennie

Shimano parts destined to complete ten thousand bikes

Ten thousand bikes !?! I have no idea how many bikes are sold monthly/annually in the Czech Republic or Europe as a whole, but that sounds like a BIG number.

Do Shimano parts used by bike companies in the UK come via this Czech distribution centre?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ten thousand bikes !?! I have no idea how many bikes are sold monthly

It’s ebike parts though so assuming that a chunk of that was motors it’s only really 1000 sales and 9000 warranty replacements isn’t it?

Davesport

As Bruneep points out, this has been de-bunked already. “Gassing” was a common factor in thefts from motorhomes up until the statement from the RCA. There was never any evidence to back up the claims. It was a relatively common topic at the time on motorhome forums here in the UK until the RCA made their opinion known.

“Thank you for your enquiry. I would like to inform you that you are not the first enquirer with this question. Professor Hatch, our Clinical Advisor, has given the following previous comments:

“I can give you a categorical assurance that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious with ether without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect of the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a rag, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day.

There are much more powerful agents around now, some of which are almost odourless. However, these would be unlikely to be able to achieve the effect you describe, and the cost would be huge enough to deter any thief unless he was after the crown jewels. The only practicable agent is probably the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege – I advised the BBC on their programme about this. The general feeling is that they used an agent which is not available outside the KGB!

Finally, unsupervised anaesthesia, which is what we are really talking about is very dangerous. In the Moscow siege about 20% of victims died from asphyxia, because their airways were unprotected. If the reports you talk about are true I would have expected a significant number of deaths or cases of serious brain damage to have been reported.”

I hope this information is helpful to you.

The Royal College of Anaesthetists”

Whatever happened to the lorry driver, I hope he’s ok.

honourablegeorge

pmurden
    @honourablegeaorge

I wouldn’t be surprised it’s been happening to people towing caravans and motorhomes on the continent for ages.

As above, it’s a myth, but one that people being robbed are happy to believe (I know someone who claims it happened to them)

indeedfox
    Free Member

frogstomp

Police are looking for a man in a top hat wearing a monocle.

Was it Rees-Mogg taking advantage of a Brexit opportunity?

ransos
    Free Member

A family member was a lorry driver BITD, and was delivering a consignment of stacking hifi systems (this was back in the 80s). He found a way of evading the security checks, got a box back home, and opened it to find the spare cables for all of the other boxes…

richb1910
    Free Member

great shame.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Thousands of Shimano parts stolen from gassed lorry driver’ is closed to new replies.