Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Thoughts – Stumpjumper or Santa Cruz 5010
  • woody74

So narrowed my new bike selection down to either a Stumpjumper 150mm of travel or I have seen deal on a Santa Cruz 5010 carbon for just £2800.

I have a fairly good view on what the Stumpjumper is like, but what do people think of the Santa Cruz 5010. I want a fun trail bike so wonder if the 5010 might be a bit too tight and less playful.

somouk
    Free Member

Your last paragraph may have hit the nail on the head but see if you can get out and ride one to see if it suits.

honourablegeorge

Bronson is more the Stumpjumper equivalent at 150mm, I’d have thought.

woody74

Loads of reviews say the 5010 feels like it has more travel than 130mm and more like 140mm. I know a Bronson is more like a stumpjumber but i can’t get one with £1200 off the price.

honourablegeorge

1200 good reasons to consider it, then.

Is it the older model 5010? They were a bit on the short side, but good bikes

woody74

Its the 2016 model which I believe have the longer top tube. But thanks for reminding me as I really should check that out.

jonnym92

I think the 5010 is supposed to be a pretty fun bike. Though if you’ve ridden the stumpy and liked it.. Can you go and demo a 5010?

tomhoward

I am of the opinion that the 5010 is as close to perfection as I have seen in an off road bicycle.

Stump jumper? Meh…

sharkattack

I am of the opinion that the Stumpjumper is as close to perfection as I have seen in an off road bicycle.

5010 Meh..

FTFY.

In all seriousness. Stumpjumpers are excellent bikes. My old Evo was the best bike I’d ever ridden at the time and I’d ridden all the demo bikes at the local Spesh dealer before I put my money down. I thought I needed an Enduro but the little Stumpy was an eye opener.

I won’t hesitate to buy another one as soon as they copy the Enduro and put a threaded BB in it. As it is, it’ll creak like your granny’s hips. Conversion kits are available but you shouldn’t have to use one.

woody74

Im not bothered about press fit BB’s as never had a problem with them, famous last words.

Just found a place I can do a test ride on a 5010 but feel a bit cheeky as I won’t be buying it from them. I guess I can chuck some servicing there way in the future. 5010 comes with Avid brakes so will no doubt need bleeding some time soon!!

sharkattack

Im not bothered about press fit BB’s as never had a problem with them

You’re on a very short list. Even new Specialized road bikes come fitted with the Praxis conversion kit that was invented as a response to the horrible things in the first place.

deadkenny
    Free Member

5010 so far is the best bike I’ve ever had. Awesome. Don’t be fooled by the travel. “Fun trail” stuff rarely needs anywhere near 150+, and frankly the 130 I don’t notice is lacking at all (I’m not heavy though and I don’t slam landings on big drops, or hit big drops at all really). You can likely run the front to 140, at a push 150. I’ve not seen a need to though.

It’s very easy to pedal, insanely light (mine is CC model plus has carbon wheels), and very agile and fast. Got an old 170/160 Nomad and while it’s like a sofa hammering down big rough stuff at speed, the 5010 still feels fairly plush on the same stuff and I really don’t do anything outside of a BPW trip that gets the most out of big travel. The 5010 however is way easier to ride and much faster.

Bronson is another option, though I’m not much of a fan of that. I would however consider a Hightower in plus wheels, but still relatively new so no cheap deals about.

5010 comes with Avid brakes so will no doubt need bleeding some time soon!!

The specific 5010 you’re looking at? Normally they’d come with SRAM Guide brakes. Yes SRAM is Avid, but the rebrand is deserved as Guide brakes are a million miles away from old Avid brakes. You won’t be bleeding them, and you will think they’re awesome. Unless they really are old Avids (unlikely).

BB on 5010 will be non creaking proper threaded, as with all Santa Cruz.

clubby

Had my MK2 5010 6 months now and it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden. New geometry is totally sorted and feels like more than it’s 130mm travel but still really poppy and lively. Takes the Dunkeld enduro trails in its stride. Way more confidence inspiring than the 160mm Mojo HD it replaced. Only problem is I paid full price and today got an email from Stif with the sale prices in it 🙁
    Don’t worry about the SRAM brakes, never needed touched in 6 months of hard use.

woody74

Surprisingly picked up carbon c 5010 with the Pike and 1×11 gx1 build kit today. My first thought was god this is bloody heavy. Must have weighted the same as the Stumpjumper that is retail around half the price. I was really shocked and a bit confused.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Am a spesh fanbois and don’t really like Santa Cruz.

I’d have the 5010 in a heartbeat

sharkattack

The thing with Santa Cruz is when they change the ‘colorway’ in a few months everyone will know you’re on an out of date bike. There’s nowhere to hide when you’re all neon’d up.

The Stumpy is much more low key. No one will look at it which suits me fine.

I haven’t ridden any of these bikes yet of course! I plan to ride as many as possible when I’m in the market. My bloody hardtail refuses to snap.

deadkenny
    Free Member

C model is cheaper carbon and heavier. CC is the lighter. Though never tried a C.

Wheels are a major part of the weight of any bike also.

Superficial
    Free Member

The thing with Santa Cruz is when they change the ‘colorway’ in a few months everyone will know you’re on an out of date bike. There’s nowhere to hide when you’re all neon’d up.

I assume there are some people who follow such developments, but I am certainly not in that camp. I have no idea what colour is new/old. However, SC ownership does of course open you up to weird kinds of inverse snobbery and ATGNI accusations.

The 5010 looks like a nice bike. Enjoy.

muggomagic

I don’t think you’d go far wrong with either tbh.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Maybe test ride both and get which one you prefer?

Paceman
    Free Member

What they said… get a demo ride if you can, although I doubt you’ll be disappointed with with bike judging by feedback from owners.

sbd16v
    Free Member

In 2014 i bought a stumpjumper carbon expert evo and built it up 1×11, i rode it for 6 months before my mate offered me a Bronson so i decided to sell the stumpy and i havnt looked back, descending i didn’t see much of a difference tbh but climbing was night and day, over 2 years later i still have no intention of changing the bronson.

Having ridden my mates 5010 and read the reviews i would take the SC over the stumpy.

However, SC ownership does of course open you up to weird kinds of inverse snobbery and ATGNI accusations.

^^^^^^^^ True.

antares
    Free Member

I want a fun trail bike

5010 it is then

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts – Stumpjumper or Santa Cruz 5010’ is closed to new replies.