Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Thoughts on these Superstar Components wheelset?
  • jivi
    Free Member

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/fuel-60poe-ex23-probuild-clearance-deal.htm

Thinking about getting these Superstar Components EX23 rims laced to their Fuel hubs wheelset. Price ends up around 200 euros using their FB promo code.

Any thoughts?

captaindanger

No experience of these specific ones but the build quality in my experience has been good. The ss rims I had also worked fine!

dufusdip
    Free Member

Friend has SS wheels and if you keep the boxes they do a free truing service. If the wheels have issues, that’s a good price and if they are still offering that service you have a back up.

devash
    Free Member

I bought a SS wheelset last November. The rear wheel has been perfect and hasn’t needed truing at all. The front wheel has needed truing twice and a couple of the spokes have come loose.

Basically, its a lottery. They’ll either be fine or not fine. But for the money its worth a punt.

jivi
    Free Member

So the rims seems to be OK, build quality can be so-so. What about the hubs? Can’t find anything about their Fuel hubs on the interwebz.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I looked at those yesterday, they look good but I can;’t work out their origin – the other SS hubs all seems to start of as Novatech designs and weren’t great in the early days, but have evolved into nice reliable hubs – I guess Superstar won’t want to let too much go in terms of where they started out other than they’re made in Europe, somewhere or other.

chakaping
    Free Member

France they say.

Is there likely to be another company making hubs in France, apart from the one that begins with M?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of sets of their in house wheels and they have been very good.

deviant
    Free Member

Sunringle?

tom67
    Free Member

Did you order the wheelset? I’m also thinking with one of their builds with the Fuel 60POE hub and I would like to know if hub is loud or not.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I ordered some of their older Hubs with Mavic 423 rims about a month ago, they came straight and true and work wonderfully – they’re replacing a set of their wheels with 521 rims I ran for 3-4 years with nothing more than the normal maintenance when I damaged them.

I wanted Fuel hubs but I couldn’t seem to spec them with the Mavic rims.

I’ve just taken them into be trued in my local shop after a ugly landing and a big pinch flat last night – the mechanic declared them “very good” and with a few twirls of the key they were perfect again.

SS do offer a free truing service and I don’t doubt it’s good – but by the time you’ve paid to have them shipped and waited a few days it’s not worth much to me – I paid my LBS a tenner and it was all good.

dlr

I just had a rear wheel fixed under warranty by them as my Delta Evo freehub exploded maiming the whole thing. None of them left in black as discontinued (wonder why……) so replaced with a Fuel hub. Not taken it apart but it does sound similar quite loud buzz ie probably same sort of internal setup. Main issue is that they have no plans for an xD driver, fine for me now as I run Shimano 2×10 but not ideal for some..

jkomo

I’ve had great service when warranty issues arise. Bought 3 sets so far, road, 26, and 27.5.

retrobri
    Free Member

Not this wheel related, but Tech4 TR21s, been excellent last 9 months of abuse and still true. happy user

Northwind

I always consider them to be basically a build kit that happens to come packaged in the shape of a wheel. I’ve had 4 new wheels off them, 1 was really first class, 2 were sort of adequate, one was worse than the first wheel I ever built. To be fair, I got it fixed locally, never gave them a chance to sort it out.

But the main thing was, I couldn’t have built equivalent quality wheels for less, even taking into account the extra cost of the rebuild.

zoobab
    Free Member

Those Fuel hubs are in fact Aivee MT2 hubs:

http://www.zoobab.com/superstar-components-fuel-hubs-are-rebranded-aivee-mt2

I bought a pair of those with rims ZTR Flow MK2, but I will have to open them to check the number of engagement points and pawls. Superstar says 60, Aivee says 30.

BTW, Superstar moderated/censored my comments, so that is the main reason I wrote that page.

jamesoz

I have ex23 rims in 650b and 26″ with no issues, the 26″ were sentinels that I destroyed with a combination of a blow out on Rim Dinger and a crash. Not the wheels fault but £70 for a pair of new rims and spokes built is a bargain. Unsure of the hubs but they’ve done plenty of miles in 3 years and are fine.

Also have the Pave 28 road wheels. Again not sure what the hub is but they stayed straight and true when I got bored on a road ride and did a lap of Swinley blue on 25c tyres.

Kryton57

You can get the Raleigh/Alex Probuild or in reality Halo/Stans Arch wheelset from Merlin and they are bloody good for the price.

markshires
    Free Member

I got some of the stand runs on fuel hubs in the sale just before Christmas, they have not needed trying or anything and work fine, although the free hub did pretty much disintegrate after only about 50 miles, superstar were great with the warranty though to be fair. I’ve probably only put another 100 mile on them since, but currently have no issues.

With regards the noise, I wouldn’t say that there quite as loud as my hope hubs on my other bike.

zoobab
    Free Member

@marshires how did they “disintegrate”? I have the pair I am just mounting on a second frame, interested by the quality of the hubs. They make damn noise, so I suspect they have 6 pawls.

ajantom

I opened up my Futl hub when I got them (in the xmas sale) to add a bit of grease, and they have 6 pawls. Though in a slightly odd configuration – 3 larger pawls with 3 smaller ones between them.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve heard of a few snapped axles on Fuels but I’ve heard of a few snapped axles on pretty well any hub I can think of.

I’d say this isn’t a bad set of wheels for the money – especially now that SS seem to have found stocks of XD drivers again. If they’d had them for the Fuels earlier this year I’d have bought a set when they were doing that Stans Mk2 clearance…

markshires
    Free Member

@zoobab I’ve no idea how it happened but here are some of the pics that I had to send off to them.
    Broken Freehub

Like I Say they were really good with the warranty, and the replacement has been running fine since, although I’ve not done a lot miles on it yet.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Any thoughts on these ?

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/clearance-iul-alexrims-esr-wheelset.htm

Alexrims and Icon Ultra hubs 1550g (excluding skewers) £111

Very little info on the rims but look to be 2014 Ish?

Either these or save some more for Wiggles Cosine 32’s

plus-one

I’ve got the arc 22mm rims on Volta hubs(running tubeless)

They’re so good I bought another set for future use

First set £139

This set £159 still a bargain and very well finished 😀

1timmy1
    Free Member

Any thoughts on these ?

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/clearance-iul-alexrims-esr-wheelset.htm

Alexrims and Icon Ultra hubs 1550g (excluding skewers) £111

Very little info on the rims but look to be 2014 Ish?

Either these or save some more for Wiggles Cosine 32’s

Just got a set for the Mrs, she likes them over the standard wheels (not hard as it is a cheap road bike). They weighed 1557g on my scales so very close to advertised. Seem nice, the SS hubs we have on other wheels have so far been ok so hopefully the Icon will follow suit.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on these Superstar Components wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.