Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Thoughts on Orange P7
  • orangefatlad
    Free Member

Looking for a nice hardtail, previously been looking at things like Bfe, Soul, 456, Alpine. I have spotted a nice P7 but wondered whether they’re in the same league as those above, has anyone has had any direct experience with them?

meehaja
    Free Member

I’ve had a 456 and a P7 (also had an Orange crush for a bit). I like my P7, I got lumbered with the S rather than the pro, so the spec wasn’t great, but it’ll do. Its a nice ride. That said, so was the 456, though that was perhaps a bit small for me (18′ 456, 19′ P7). Only really changed as I got it on BTW and wanted to run SS specifically. I’d buy either again, though the Orange appeaeled as I’ve had a few and liked them and I’d wanted a P7 since my first race back in the 90’s!

Del

i have a P7. nice. look back through my profile or do a search as there was a thread about them and a few of the others last week.

sportsmatch
    Free Member

Got p7 which I like its a bit different to the trex ex 9 which I ride the most, the p7 is not used much. If your near s.wales your more than welcome to have a go its a 17″ frame
    I found a far nicer ride than my alu cube
    Gary

br
    Free Member

Two riding pals have them, they seem to like them including one who’s done the Kielder 100 on his. Both are good builds.

vegasdave
    Free Member

I’ve got one,a lovely bike to ride,…can’t see much point in replacing it.
    For balance,I’ve rode the Cotic Soul and Sanderson Singular and they’re both fine bikes.

Northwind

It’s a really nice riding bike… Heavy and expensive though, for the current model. Cotic’s BFe weighs the same, and is stronger, and uses more expensive tubes, yet costs much less, frinstance. Not to say that you’d neccesarily prefer a BFe but it’s a good comparison in terms of the metalwork.

martymac

ive got one, and a cube full susser too.
    i will have the P7 until im too old to ride.
    its not light, or cheap, but a great ride.
    i doubt its much different weight wise from other steel frames at a similar price.

Northwind

Over 6lbs as of last year, for a medium… That’s heavier than a 456, and more than a third heavier than a Soul (which is cheaper). They had some bother with CEN it seems, the weight went way up.

p7rich
    Free Member

Owned a 2009 P7 from new and LOVE IT as an everyday trail bike. I think EU safety standards forced a change to the design a bit after ’09 (heavier & stronger I believe?). Lovely supple steel and really composed. The other bike cost 4x as much and it always gets left behind for local rides. Mine’s a 19″ and a year or so ago i upgraded the forks to the 140mm Fox’s and i reckon the geometry must have been designed around that spec’.

orangefatlad
    Free Member

Thanks guys, anyone had any experience with the Dialled Alpine?

skinnysteel
    Free Member

2007 single-speed here – prefer to my Soul where the ups permit. Nicely balanced ride: not the lightest but has that ‘just right’ feel, for me at least. Dunno if current version is comparable given above comments re CEN compliance tho’.

martymac

@ northwind
    ah, didnt know later ones were heavier, mines a 2008.

Jeffus
    Free Member

my 2010 was 7.8lb 17″ , awesome bike, one of my favs.

Northwind

Jeffus – Member

my 2010 was 7.8lb

Seriously?

br
    Free Member

my 2010 was 7.8lb 17″ , awesome bike, one of my favs.

Jesus…, twice the weight of my large 456Ti frame 😯

Jeffus
    Free Member

Yes , according to the bike shop I bought it from when they weighed it,

I had it set up full XTR , RS Revs dual air , Hope Hoops DT4.2’s ,
    Easton carbon bars and seat post , Thomson stem, 2.4 Nobby Nics, SDG ti saddle, Ashima rotors , Ti bolts, came in at 29.8lb, my Nomad was only 2.5lb ,more 😀 but it was a dream to ride only sold it when I was made redundant, I’d still have another.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Try one; see if it fits.

I’ve had many different generations of P7, and I can’t find a hardtail to replace it. The 456 was an awful fit for me, I was never happy on it.

I started in 1990 on an Orange Clockwork, maybe I’ve assumed the shape of Orange’s geometry. They always fit me – just so.

I’d try and find a pre-631 tube one, too. As above they are lighter, and they ride better.

jameso

I may have this wrong, but I think steel Oranges come from a different place than they did when the CEN tests were causing issues. Whether that was the reason behind the change I don’t know. I shouldn’t speculate but also it’d be wrong to judge current/future P7s on the heavier ones of a year or 2 ago.

CEN test results appear to vary from tester to tester, it undermines the test as there’s only a recommended method in the regs document and variation in method used can make more difference than variation in fork dimension used.

So the newer/current P7s may not be the same as the 6lb ones, as far as I was aware that was just one version/batch.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Mine was one of the first batch of new 2010’s , great bike, weight never bothered me .

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Got a P7 and love it, much more forgiving than my previous Evo4, absolutely no intention of changing, best hardtail I’ve ridden.
    I’ve been riding with some lads who really know their stuff today and had a test Ragley Blue Pig. All were very impressed with it, that’s definitely worth a look.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I had a P7, a 2008. Was a great bike. Only sold it as I was going self employed and needed help with cash-flow. You dont really notice the weight, too busy having fun.

youngrob

I’ve got a 2005 P7, it’s been my only bike since I got it ex hire from the Hub. I’ve ridden it everywhere, natural, trail centres, Whistler Bike Park, I’ve even done a cyclocross race on it – it has 150mm Bombers! I have thought about changing it a few times but just can’t seem to let go.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on Orange P7’ is closed to new replies.