Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Thoughts on Avid BB 7'S please??
  • bones76
    Free Member

As the post says really, am looking for peoples thoughts on these brakes and if they had the choice between these or any other brakes what would they choose?? Hope that makes sense…. 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

I have them on my cross bike but use hydraulics on my two mountain bikes (both elixirs in various forms).

I got the BB7 because they were my only real option for road levers.

If I was looking for brakes for a mountain bike I’d fit cheap hydraulics because in my opinion and experience:

they are more powerful (might be a setup thing)
    they are more reliable (less moving parts and no cables to stretch and corrode).
    they are just as cheap
    they look nicer (mechanicals are quite big compared to hydraulics)

bones76
    Free Member

Thanks for the post, the brakes would be for a CX bike, thing that is concerning me is i don’t really get on with Avid brakes in general, how do you find setting them up? changing pads, maintence etc…

And if you could run any others on your CX bike what would they be?

druidh
    Free Member

Love my BB7s. I have them on my Fatbike and on my Cross/Tourer. I don’t have any issues with setup or maintenance.

However, if you have a complete aversion to Avid (I’d never have their hydros) then have a look at the new Shimano CX disc brake system.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

3 of my bikes have BB7’s and I love them, using Superstar’s replacement pads they last for ages.

I’ve 2 bikes with “proper” brakes on and these are stronger stoppers when there’s more downhill but for most of my rides BB7’s brakes are perfect.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t like Avid hydraulic’s much but BB7s are fine IMO. You do have to adjust the pads in reasonably often with the dials on the calipers, but it’s very very quick and easy to do.

jameso

Hardly got halfway through the pads in 12 days of (dry) Alpine bikepacking this summer, fitted them a few rides / maybe 200 miles of wet use before the trip. Pretty impressed tbh. Reliable, easy to adjust, need adjusting as you go but it’s so easy to do, not prone to random annoying rubs etc. Loads of power (180mm f+r), good feel – not quite servo-wave XT level of control but I’m quite happy with them for pulling up a 40lb+ bike and luggage on a big hill. I like Avid’s cable-operated stuff. Get good levers (I use XTR) and cables tho, that helps.

Davesport

My Pugsley came equipped with them. I was prepared to be underwhelmed & planned to replace them as a matter of urgency. A year later they’re still there & performing brilliantly. Not the best stoppers on the planet but more than adequate to slow down a whale riding a slug 8)

bones76
    Free Member

OK guys thanks for the info big help…

tommid
    Free Member

I love them, so easy to set up and maintain. Ok not as powerful as hydros, but they are just so easy to live with.

davidhadsley
    Free Member

They’re easy to maintain and adjust and they stop you well enough. You need to set them up properly first and use good cable and levers. I use XTR cable and Avid SD speed dial levers. I like the fact that with a simple multi tool you can adjust and fix most problems with them out on the trail.

jonba
    Free Member

There aren’t really many other options until someone develops a good hydraulic system.

If you are methodical the setting up is easy enough, just not as easy as the hydros but that might be a familiarity thing.

Pads etc. are fairly easy. They might be the same as the jucy 5 in terms of changing pads?

eshershore
    Free Member

BB7 = good

BB5 = f*cking shite (loads of production bikes come with them and mechanics hate them…)

Shimano have their Ultegra CX disc brake coming out, but its not arriving until Jan/Feb 2013 🙁

Del

after a bleeding nightmare i fitted BB7s to my 5 before a trip to the alps earlier this year. a quick click at the end of the day set them up for the following day, and they were good to go. don’t see me going back to hydros any time soon, and as my hydros fall apart on other bikes, i’m moving over to BB7s. 90% of the performance for 20% of the faff. IMO.

jamj1974

In my experience BB7’s are a better option than a budget hydraulic. I have used them before and would happily use them again for XC/trail use. I think they would be good for Cyclocross.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

BB7’S are wonderful. Set them up correctly and -like all parts-keep an eye on them, stop on a dime power but no modulation.

With a 180front and 160back setup I haven’t found anything better for the money.

I’d have them over “cheap” hydraulics every single time.

In the same breath i’d have quality rigid forks over “cheap” suspension.

But I like them so much I have spare calipers in the cupboard I got cheap, ready to go on the next build.

If you couldn’t guess, I’m a big fan.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They are excellent and a much better option than cheap hydros.

Use good cables – I use gore rideons – g2 or g3 rotors (some sellers on ebay bundle these instead of the nasty roundagon rotors) – organic or kevlar pads – and avid speed dial levers.

With the sd levers you can run a bigger gap between the pad and the rotor and have enough leverage at the lever to give good power and single finger braking. This is a big advantage when it is muddy as you will have less brake rub than with a hydro system – although I think the servo-wave system is better than a lot of other hydro systems in this area.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Also, as an important aside, they don’t “break”.

If you’re stuck out in the middle of a moor, say a big empty Scottish peaty one, you can do spectacular botch-jobs that jut can’t be done on Hydros.

“That’ll get me home”.

kcr
    Free Member

I have used BB7s for nearly 10 years on my work bike (on my second set). They do the job OK. I find the feel and stopping power not quite as impressive as hydraulics, but plenty good enough, and I have done some big alpine road descents with full cycle camping kit.
    I do find that they don’t stand up to winter road conditions very well. The body materials corrode quite easily, so they quickly get a bit tatty, the adjusters can seize, and the pistons can get a bit sticky. Doesn’t stop them working, but they could be a bit more resistant to the usual water, salt and crud of winter commuting.

I’m interested to see what the new Shimano road discs are like (saw a picture on here recently). Has anyone tried them out?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

kcr, that’s a good point about winter conditions.

I’d rather have to strip & fit BB7’s than a set of Hydraulics but I am a fettler.

I use them on “hardcore hardtails” as well as commuters and am still to be left wanting for stoppage.

It’s a thin crowd, but cable actuated works.

drofluf
    Free Member

Yet another thumbs up for them here. I’ve got them on my road bike, front end of pub bike and fat bike. Easy to set up, great stopping power.

As others say they do need adjusting regularly but it’s a thirty second job with no tools required (although a Torx bit helps if you need to move the inner pad) so not a deal breaker.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Had them pn my CX bike for ages. Once set up almost a fit and forget

Not as good as hydro discs but way better than cantis in the wet

Mind you I’m replacing mine with a TRP Parablox hydro set up

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not as good as hydro discs but way better than cantis in the wet

depends which hydros…

they are ways better than the HFX 9s I had, more modulation, less grabby.

Avid should produce some high grade mechanicals – BB7s are still a bit budget in construction.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on Avid BB 7'S please??’ is closed to new replies.