• This topic has 44 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by a11y.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Thoughts on a new (prob 29er) ‘enduro’ bike, Slash/Reign/Sentinel/S150??
  • jackal
    Free Member

Contemplating getting a new bike to replace my 2017 Specialized Enduro 29.

Ideally looking for something with slightly longer reach, a lower BB and a tad slacker (current spesh is 450 reach, st/ha 76+66). Thinking I want to stay on 29er wheels.
    For ref. I’m 5’10.

Riding wise – I want it to do everything, but coming from a dh background (a long time ago) it needs to be good on descents, not that fussed about climbing ability but I do enjoy a good techie climb nowadays (when I’m fit enough).
    It’ll be used mainly in the peaks, the odd dh type day (ie. Wharncliffe etc) but also the odd Welsh trail centre/uplift type riding. Love rocky tech stuff.
    Soooo…. it needs to be capable of DH duties but still rideable enough for a 30 mile xc loop.

I’ve shortlisted it to the following bikes, all 2020 models on the base spec, in size large (looking to spend between 2.5-3k).

– Trek Slash
    – Giant Reign 29
    – Transition Sentinel
    – Whyte S150/G170 (G170 would be 27.5?)

Love the look of the Slash and hear good things about them, it’s just not that much longer than the Enduro and st angle doesn’t look as steep? A degree slacker ha though.

Reign appears to be spot on other than the extreme reach of 493 in a large, better brakes than the Slash. Also looked at the reign SX but maybe a step too far with the coil etc?

Sentinel looks good all over but probably a little heavy in this spec (slightly more than I want to spend too), better damper in the yari’s, poor brakes.

Whyte s150, I have kind of dismissed this as it’s not as slack as I’d like and I don’t particularly like the look of them. The g170 looks spot on geometry and spec wise but it’s 27.5″ wheels (can’t stretch to the carbon 29″ version).

On the giant/Trek I’d look to upgrade the damper (or even coil?) In the forks as not that impressed with the 2017 yari’s I’m currently running.

So what’s owners/people’s opinions of the above bikes and have I missed any in that price range? I haven’t ridden any only looked and sat on so actual riding experiences greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Of that list, I’ve ridden or owned 3 of those bikes.

The Slash is a straight no for me. It’s now a 4 year old design & it wasn’t that great when it came out IMO. Sizing is weird & the STA is hilariously slack. I thought my old Reign was bad, but I was literally over the rear axle on the Slash. I’m amazed they haven’t updated it yet.

The Sentinel just felt like a really heavy trail bike which didn’t use its rear travel well. But the geometry is great. Found it worse riding flats on it, never rode a bike where I blew my feet off the pedals so much. Because of the weird suspension it made it feel really unbalanced to me.

The new Reign is surprisingly nice. If you can make the sizing work. I was on the previous Reign before I went to 29” and still rate it as one of the fastest bikes I rode, the new one is a fairly decent blend between trail bike and our right enduro race machine. Seriously considered getting one as my team bike this year (the black carbon one, as the spec for the money seemed about the right balance) but their availability was terrible, I think it was due Feb at the earliest.

I wouldn’t consider the Whyte, most because they look gopping to me.

Personally I feel with enduro bikes getting bigger and bigger, and the evolution of trail bikes, they are the sweet spot now for those of us who love the descents and put up with the climbs & still race a bit. Mine really is a do everything bike. From local trail riding to regional enduros, nationals & managed to get into 3 EWS’s again for 2020. Yes it won’t be perfect for that end of the scale, but that’s maybe 10 days riding out of the whole year. It’s plenty a good enough bike that I can hang on and not disgrace myself at them 🙂

twohats
    Free Member

Stumpjumper Evo seems to tick a lot of those boxes.
    I’ve owned one for 10 months now and it’s a very capable all round bike.

SirHC

I have a 2019 Enduro, in Large and have ordered a Privateer to replace it, I’ve replaced my smuggler with a Reactor 290, so can go for a bigger enduro bike.

Reach numbers have to be taken with a pinch of salt, as if they have short headtubes, you will lose reach as you bring the bars to a sensible height. There is also the issue with spacers/bar height pushing you further back. I bought a Stumpy evo and it felt like I was hanging off the back of it, lasted two rides!!

Slash in large is smaller than the Enduro, you’d have to be on an XL to go bigger (then the seattube is silly high)
    Reign 29 is a fair bit longer, do wonder about the top tube length and seat angle whether you are hanging off the back of it when climbing.
    Sentintel is a bit bigger, felt comfy pedaling it about.
    S150 looks ugly.

jackal
    Free Member

Cheers @Hob Nob thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I believe the Slash (the aluminium one) has been mildly updated for this year (slightly steeper SA and a tiny bit longer reach) still not that much different from my current bike though.

I’m leaning towards the Reign I think for the reasons you’ve confirmed above.
    Reach wise I think it can work, the current Specialized is 450 and it’s still got the stem that it came from the factory with which is something stupid like 60mm. I’d be dropping to the shortest stem I could on the new bike so effectively the giant will only be 13mm longer (reach wise) with the shorter stem taken into account.
    Wheelbase will obviously be longer but hopefully these new new modern lo offset forks should help with that?

jackal
    Free Member

Cheers @Sir HC @twohats

Yes the stumpy Evo was top of the list but they’re just slightly over budget. Also heard reports of them blowing through the rear travel a little too easily?

The Slash in large is same as my enduro (enduro went longer in 2018 I believe? Mines a 2017 so shorter).

Head tube length, yes this does have an effect on reach of course but I always run my front ends low with one spacer under stem and 10mm rise bars (my current enduro is 110mm head tube).

I’ll have to check that seat tube angle on the new reign, thought they were pretty steep?

Cheers.

chiefgrooveguru

Cotic RocketMAX is just in budget! The Privateer looks good too. Banshee Titan would be too expensive as a full build sadly.

SirHC

Yes the stumpy Evo was top of the list but they’re just slightly over budget. Also heard reports of them blowing through the rear travel a little too easily?

I rode the one I bought intially with a coil shock, terrible. With a a DB Inline, much better. No idea why Specialized specced a coil on the Carbon, Super Deluxe would of been a much better choice. They are very linear, so more suited to an air shock.

I felt the Stumpy Evo was less of an all rounder than the Enduro I have. If you are hitting bike parks all day, then it would work, for me in an S4, but as a trail bike it didn’t work.

chakaping
    Free Member

This may be worthy of consideration, if you can pull off the “angry unicorn” colourscheme.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-sommet-29-vrs-bike-xt-slx-1×12-2020/rp-prod182714

And let’s face it, who wouldn’t want to pull off an angry unicorn.

chakaping
    Free Member

BTW – The gap in reach measurement between the medium and large Reign is nuts.

jackal
    Free Member

Yes it’s as if they need a m/l size stuck in there. It’s something like a 50mm jump up inbetween sizes isn’t it?

mashr

– Whyte S150/G170 (G170 would be 27.5?)

G170 29er is available too for full ENDURO points

jackal
    Free Member

G170 29er only avail in carbon and too spendy at the minute.

Gotama
    Free Member

Based on Katy Winton’s blacked out bike in her instagram story i suspect there is a new slash out shortly. A friend has the recent alu one. He likes it but having had it for four months or so he now accepts that a longer bike with a steeper seat tube would have been better.

I have a Rocket in 29er. If it fits your budget its worth a look.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I got myself a Stumpjumper Evo last year. Straight away I removed the shock spacer to get 155mm rear travel. Riding mostly natural rocky trails the rear end feels much more stable, comfortable and bottomless than my previous AM9 did. I guess most of the complaints about it going through travel would go away with this easy mod.
    On the front I upped the travel to 160mm (approved by Specialized), together with the high setting the BB is at a good height and the geo feels perfect. The bike just feels so good as it is now.

The Slash is likely to be replaced this year, the Sentinel will be for sure.
    A good deal of great concepts are to be available this year, Privateer, Propain Tyee, Banshee Titan, Norco Sight, etc.

In your position I’d either grab a Stumpy Evo (with the mods I’ve mentioned) or wait until may or June to see the new releases

nickc

Airdrop Edit? It’s in your budget as you can spec it to suit, and suits your riding. I had a V1 and it’s a bunch of fun.

submarined
    Free Member

The Edit is 27.5. Plus you’d have to look at that seat mast abomination and vomit every time you took it out of the garage.

OP – I’m in a similar position. Rode a mate’s Sentinel, and loved it. However, didn’t get nearly as much time on it as Hob Nob, so I think he can provide a much better picture.

I’m pretty much settled on a Privateer, it’s just that coming from an IT background (with a partner who works in automotive) I can’t bring myself to be an early adopter of a new frame from a new company (I know they’re Hunt, but it’s still unknown territory) so I’ll wait it out a bit.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I considered an S-150. I’ve never really been a fan of Whyte bikes, but their recent stuff has really caught my eye.

I’m 2 rides in on my 2020 Slash 8 and honestly, it’s the best bike I’ve ever had. Did a 24 mile/3000ft loop the other day and still felt reasonably fresh at the end. For a bigger travel bike, it pedals very well and the slight SA change was welcome.

I’m on an XL and even on steep climbs, the front wheel is planted (this is in the low position on the flip-chip). I’d say it rides more like a long-legged trail bike rather than an enduro steam roller.

I can live with the Yari for now, probably going to get an aftermarket damper eventually and I’m changing the Guide R levers to RS as I have them spare. Every thing else has been spot on for the price!

The only minor niggle (depending on your leg length) is the seat tube length. The Bontrager dropper is slammed to the collar at 150mm of drop. I would have liked to try a longer dropper, but it won’t be possible for me.

I bought it expecting it to be half-decent, was surprised it is very decent 🙂

From all the bikes I’ve ridden, everyone will have their own opinion on what they like. This is usually based on how good or fast the rider is.

Someone like Hob Nob will notice things about a bike that might not really affect me due to him racing rougher and faster stuff. I try to be really honest about my riding and figure out what would be right for me, rather than what would be right if I was much faster.

Most of the time, I don’t bother test riding things now and just have a look at what I liked about previous bike and what I didn’t like, then try to see if there’s any similarities.

jackal
    Free Member

So after trawling through a lot more geometry charts….
    Has anyone got/owned/ridden the new 2020 Norco Sight??

The numbers look spot on, other than maybe a bit heavy? Also like the look of it. What are the fox forks/shock like on the 3k aluminium one?

I was an early adopter of the 650b wheels with a Norco Sight and absolutely loved it, unfortunately I vowed never to have one again due to a cracked chainstay and taking 3 months to get a warranty replacement, so I could be backtracking a little. Any issues with the newer ones?

superstu
    Free Member

Sentinel has changed quite a bit in recent years, not sure when Hob Nob had one. Aluminium transitions are a bit hefty but then most things are for this type of riding.

jackal
    Free Member

Yes whatever I go for (especially at this price point) is going to be on the weighty side. Current enduro with beefy tyres is definitely no lightweight.

boxxer7
    Free Member

^sentinel hasn’t changed since its release as far as I’m aware, you maybe thinking of the Patrol which has changed over the years.

That said, transition are selling off the sentinel frames and bikes at the moment which could mean something is on the way.

I had one for a couple of years, it is heavy and a bit lazy but is brilliant on the steep stuff but can get a little overwhelmed when things get really choppy.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I’m running a brand new Reign 29er Carbon and have to say it is insane. Ive owned the likes of Hope HB130 and other bikes in the past year.

The reach numbers are long, but when you jump on the bike it doesnt feel as long as the numbers suggest. It climbs insane for the travel and is pretty light too.

Availability is good now with all sizes being in stock to order from Giant. I work in the trade and am happy to sort out a deal if you go this way. Otherwise, if your midlands based, your more than welcome to come and have a look and mine and have a sit on it.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Are all enduro bikes 29 now? I’m thinking of getting one too.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

There are some bargain sentinel frame around at the moment, second hand price is crazy, mainly because of low season and the impending new frame.    They have been testing 150mm rear travel in the summer, but i’ve heard it it going to be more, plus other tweeks (the usual seat angle, HT angle etc) The design hasn’t changed since it was released in 2018.

Sentinel rear suspension isn’t easy to set up i think, but it is a fantastic point and plough bike. I really like transition so i would probably hold out for the new sentinel, but those new reigns do look great.  For a more budget option i wouldn’t look behond the privateer.

jedi

Check out Gt bikes too

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Norco on paper looks great. The large is pretty much my ideal sizing. I had some bad thoughts over the Optic, as that just looks like a great bike 🙂

There was one reason why I didn’t seriously consider it, nor would I. Evans.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I’m also curious with the new Sight, geo seems to be dead on on the L for me, even if Norco curiously recommends the XL for my height (184cm). Also allows for a 170mm fork, and I’m all for long forks

Some reviews seem to suggest it doesn’t really feel like a long travel enduro, more like a long legged trail bike, which seems to make sense as it is marketed as an AM. Norco hinted that they are to release a full on enduro, maybe to replace the Range

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Has anyone tried just throwing a set of 29er wheels into a G170S?

Curiosity decrees I may have to steal the wheels out of my sons Stumpjumper at the weekend just to see what occurs (he never rides it anyway grrrr!)

jackal
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

By coincidence I was looking at the Optic last night after reading up on the sight.
    I’m not hung up on having 150mm plus travel so a little less could work if it brings out the playful poppy nature of it. I’m used to riding hardtails too (had a few Stanton’s in various guises), assuming geometry is good less travel still can be as fast I think just need to adjust riding style slightly. I guess it just gets rid of that safety margin on bigger stuff or if you do something wrong?
    The price also seems good, 3k for a carbon with pikes and dh rear shock….

I need it to feel different enough from my Enduro so decided the trek is definitely out 🙁
    Currently narrowed down to Reign or Sight with the optic chucked in as a but of a wildcard. (The sight/optic bring marketed as all mountain by Norco is no issue to me, it’s the numbers and spec that determine how good it will be for what I want).

Those privateers look good but I’m tied to mainstream stuff as will be using cyclescheme.

zezaskar
    Free Member

The thing is that the numbers you mention, specifically rear travel, often say very little about the bikes character. You can have a 170mm bike climb and pedal exceptionally well or a 150mm one feel like sofa. Start with >150mm of travel, throw in lots of anti squat and progression and you generally have a very good climber and “traily” feeling bike. My AM9 was a perfect example.
    So when Norco says the Sight is an AM bike, and reviewers, when comparing with other long travel 29ers, say that it feels like a long legged trail bike, there might be some bases for that.
    But who knows, I never tried one.

Now this reflects only my personal opinion, but I’m very skeptical of this new crop of trail bikes like the Optic. They have enduro bike builds, tyres, weight and geo, while being often described as climbing as good (or as bad) as enduro bikes but being handicapped downhill. So, a handicapped enduro bike. Doesn’t make much sense to me. I bet in an year or so lots of them will be for sale as owners realize what they needed was a good pedaling enduro or simply put lighter tyres

peaslaker
    Free Member

I’ve got a Norco Range and first hand experience of Evans being as bad as everyone says.

Start by sending them a solicitors letter. It saves time.

The guys in Evans shops that I’ve dealt with have been fine pleasant individuals.

As for the bike, I’ve been a neglectful owner. After a season of enduro racing and (probably more telling) some Scottish winter night rides, I found I’d let the main pivot slacken off to the degree that muck had worn the spacers/frame leaving a 1mm gap.

A quick trip to a local engineering shop has me up and running and better than ever.

The warranty problem I had was a very early discovery of a seized bolt at the seatstay pivot. Eventually Evans saw me right begrudgingly with a newly fitted bolt.

Apart from that the bike has been solid.

The new Sight has an obvious overlap with the 2018/2019 Range. The sight would be my go to for a replacement with the sole proviso that I’d be looking at the models with the fox X2 to get LSC adjustment. The shock stroke is shorter than the Range so the spring and damper will be working harder – not necessarily s bad thing

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Now this reflects only my personal opinion, but I’m very skeptical of this new crop of trail bikes like the Optic. They have enduro bike builds, tyres, weight and geo, while being often described as climbing as good (or as bad) as enduro bikes but being handicapped downhill. So, a handicapped enduro bike. Doesn’t make much sense to me. I bet in an year or so lots of them will be for sale as owners realize what they needed was a good pedaling enduro or simply put lighter tyres

Whereas I’m the opposite, to me the new crop of trail bike (and I include my SB130 in that) is right up most people’s street. As someone who used to race a reasonable amount of DH, and still race enduro to the odd win, podium etc it’s all I need in the UK, having had a big 29” Enduro alongside the 130, they have gone to the point of nearly DH bike levels of commitment to ride them properly. I found I wasn’t really any quicker on anything in the UK on the big bike, and it really only came into it’s own in Canada when racing, even then on the tech it was a real handful.

Hell, most proper race bikes now weigh as much as DH bikes, whereas a decent spec trail bike even with big tyres on is somewhere between 30-32lbs.

A decent modern trail bike with some decent tyres on for racing is pretty much spot on IMO.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I should have clarified that my comments are not strictly for UK use, so that is for sure a factor

ifra
    Free Member

What about a bird AM9?

jackal
    Free Member

Still not made my mind up.

Now also discovered the Ripmo AF, looks good value and seems to get good reviews?
    Also on the more ‘all rounder’ side of things 2020 Fuel ex? Geometry wise very similar to my enduro but 20mm longer and a little less travel (but I’m prob swaying from what I was originally stated in the op with this one? With some proper tyres on should still be capable downhill tho?).

So shortlist(s) so far…..

On the more DH side of things;
    -Norco Sight
    -Giant Reign
    -Ripmo af
    -Sentinel (still not sure on this one)

Others that are more ‘all rounders’ that I hadn’t considered before;

-Norco Optic
    -Fuel ex (same ha as my enduro but longer, less travel and lighter, so looks good as a ‘trail’ bike that can take some abuse).

Any more thoughts anyone?

johnw1984
    Free Member

See, I was on the fence when I ordered my Slash 8 and nearly went for the Fuel EX. Most of the reviews said it was capable, but a bit soft in the rear and wasn’t the poppiest bike or eager climber.

Supposed to be really good for grip on techy climbs and descends well for the travel. Went with the Slash because it didn’t look like there were any downsides to the extra travel over the Fuel EX.

jackal
    Free Member

Cheers. Only downside I can see to the Slash is the length (and maybe st angle), I need something longer than my enduro so I can get rid of the daft 60mm stem.

adomanim
    Free Member

Just use a sunrace hd 12 speed cassette? Opens up masses of cheap wheels with shimano freehub then

Lucky Patcher Kodi nox

johnw1984
    Free Member

It’s hard to comment on the size or length of a bike as it’s really personal choice. I’m 6’2″ on an XL Slash 8 and it’s the best fitting bike I’ve ever had.

Try to have a sit on some and go for the one that you like the look of best, or get the best feeling about. I think it’s pretty hard to but a “bad” bike these days, but what I find good, you may find horrible.

I’m sure a lot of us can only go off personal opinion on what we’ve owned or ridden. Some people swear by Transition, some people really don’t etc 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on a new (prob 29er) ‘enduro’ bike, Slash/Reign/Sentinel/S150??’ is closed to new replies.