Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • thought i'd try my hand at wheel truing….
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

aarrggghh… not going great so far, in fact iv’e made a very minor defect turn into one where the tyre is rubbing on the fork leg…lol

the bike is upside down, front wheel, looking at it from the front i’m trying to get the right hand side of the rim to come away (move out), i thought that was turn clockwise?

i’ve got zip ties on the forks for judgement…its going to be unrideabel at this rate…! sigh!

dannybgoode

Get Roger Musson’s wheel building book (ebook PDF) – about £10.

You will learn everything you need to know to not only true but build wheels.

Cheers

Danny B

RustyMac

Step 1 put a mark on one side of your spoke key (dab of paint, marker pen blob, some nail polish)

Step 2 pick a spoke any spoke and turn spoke key in any one direction, you will surely be able to tell if you are tightening or loosening a spoke (if you tighten a spoke on the right it will pull the rim that way)

Step 3 make yourself a sign push on mark to tighten or what ever it turns out to be and go from there.

Take your time and if it all goes pear shaped loosen things off a bit and start again, most importantly don’t just keep tightening things.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i’ve been untightening instead of tightening, and doing the wrong side, apart from that its going swimmingly…lol

easygirl

Only small adjustments, about 1/2 a turn at a time, and keep checking

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yeah, imagine the spoke is a single piece screwing into the hub, so looking at the rim end of the spoke you tighten clockwise.

b45her
    Free Member

having no mechanical aptitude must be a terrible thing.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

is it clockwise or anti clockwise, on the video i just watched he was tightening anticlockwise

tpbiker
    Free Member
    Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

ow its anti clockwise if your looking down at the rim from the hub

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

wow i’m getting there…
    😀

mrmo
    Free Member

well i built a wheel last night, it is the final tweaking that is doing my head in. A jig would make it far far easier than trying to use a bike upside down.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

wow, brought it back from the dead, this morning i learnt to true a wheel…..neeeeexxxxttttt

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

it doesn’t help that most rims have stickers on which rub against the zip tie and make you think its out of true..

Davesport

the bike is upside down,

Argghh….You Philistine. Let the flames commence 🙂

wobbem
    Free Member

How about fixing a flat spot in the wheel? Does the tightening the opposite side ie 180* effect this?

allthepies
    Free Member

I would recommend going easy on ride #1 🙂

“…is it clockwise or anti clockwise,…” 😀

Northwind

As far as clockwise/anticlockwise goes, I find it useful to think of the nipple as a screw being tightened into the rim from the outside- usual lefty loosy righty tighty applies.

I can straighten a slightly out of true wheel but I’ve never managed to un-egg one. For everything else, there’s Icycles 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘thought i'd try my hand at wheel truing….’ is closed to new replies.