Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thought I had a knackered old shed….
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

….in my new garden, haven’t had time to look properly but at the bottom of my garden are two run down wooden sheds, one in amongst some trees (propertys been empty for 3 years) the other is falling down.

Went and had a look to see how much hard work they will be to get rid of and the larger, tree ridden one has foundations, what look like brick, plastered walls (can’t get in to see properly yet) wooden cladding that made it look like an old wooden shed, and a mains electricity supply.

I was going to knock them down and build a shed/outbuilding there, but now I might be able to save and salvage this one.

What do I need to look for to see if the building is for knocking down? Damp etc? And the roof? How do I know if it’s going to be more expensive to rebuild than repair?

colp

The plaster will show any damp very clearly, look for stains bottom (rising) and top (leaking roof).
    Check the roof timbers for stains, tiny holes (woodworm) or crumbling.
    I’m guessing the structure is block clad over, so the block will probably be ok.
    The main thing will be the roof, even if it needs a new one, some WPB ply boards and a roll of roofing felt will sort it. Definately worth trying to save.

slackalice
    Free Member

Tread carefully when you get inside.

If the roof is still water tight, then the structure of rafters, trusses and possibly collars, will be more than likely fine. If it has leaked, wear a hard hat, just in case!

As above, look for blown plaster or bricks or mortar for signs of damp. At low level, not a biggy as you can sort that.

Lucky you!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ourmaninthenorth

Don’t forget asbestos!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks for all the tips. I’m going to go and have look in a bit. How do I check for asbestos?
    Going to get reputation as a nutter with the new neighbours walking round the garden in my bike helmet!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Some pics here, it’s not brick like it looked before I could get in, but on closer inspection its wooden with what looks like a render on the inside? Hope you can see in the photos, there’s some rot and the floors goosed, roofs bowed but in tact so there’s definately a leak in the roof.

Reckon it’s salvageabe?

gobuchul
    Free Member

How did you end up buying a house and not knowing what condition the outbuildings were in?

If you have the money I would knock it down and start again.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I couldn’t get at this shed properly, it was overgrown. From what I could see I had two wooden sheds to knock down, now I’ve cut the wildness back ones not in that bad condition, is that okay with you?

shifter
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member

Don’t forget asbestos!

What he said.
    I wouldn’t recommend smashing it to bits without someone giving it a once-over.

sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s doubtful they would have used asbestos on that, but worth keeping an eye open for it.
    Personally I’d knock it down and start afresh – if it’s been overgrown it will have been subject to damp conditions for a long time and is just nor worth the effort involved in trying to save it.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ok cheers, looks condemned then!

proutster
    Free Member

Burn it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thought I had a knackered old shed….’ is closed to new replies.