• This topic has 127 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by PJay.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Thou Shalt Not Cycle During the Royal Funeral
  • neilthewheel

There’ll maybe the ‘home guard’ out to catch anyone not at home at the telly and chase them down

Since they would then also not at home in front of the telly they would have to apprehend themselves.

onewheelgood

I recently let my BC membership expire, and was mulling over renewing it. At least they’ve made the decision easy.

K

I’ve emailed bc membership to ask why they advised this and that I’m nolonger considering using an alternative groupe for insurance.

convert

They have taken it down

kelvin

It’s a hard line for any organisation to walk.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It really shouldn’t be. They didn’t need to do/say anything.

Klunk
    Free Member

FFS this kind of crap makes want let of a load of fireworks and crack open a bottle of champagne.

oldenough
    Free Member

British Cycling strongly recommends that anybody out riding their bike on the day of the State Funeral does so outside of the timings of the funeral service and associated processions, which will be confirmed later this week. Once published, we will share the details of those timings on this page.

I took it to mean avoid riding during the timing of the funeral, if where you were riding came in conflict with the funeral processions ect. Not that you shouldn’t dissappear up a mountain somewhere during it 🤷‍♂️

Onzadog
    Free Member

Totally and utterly this.

Simon

I renewed my British Cycling membership a week ago, I wonder if it’s too late to cancel?

kelvin

They didn’t need to do/say anything.

That would be my approach, but some would criticise them for that as well.

convert

absolutely

longdog
    Free Member

I took it to mean avoid riding during the timing of the funeral, if where you were riding came in conflict with the funeral processions ect. Not that you shouldn’t dissappear up a mountain somewhere during it 🤷‍♂️

Looking again with that frame of mind you could be right, but that’s not how I read it.

What mahoosive percent of BC members live no where near any routes, never mind even in London?

I would assume no one would be daft enough to try to ride through the funeral procession??

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s a Monday. I don’t work Mondays so therefore……………🚵‍♀️🚵‍♀️🚵‍♀️

markgraylish
    Free Member

For balance, have the RAC instructed drivers to refrain from driving?

scotroutes

Surely a good day for those in Englandandwales to be riding some cheeky footpaths as there will be nobody around to see them?

longdog
    Free Member

@scotroutes … need an Aviemore cafe open or not update for Monday breakfast 😁

scotroutes

I’d normally recommend Route 7 but they’re definitely closed. I haven’t seen anything from Cobbs suggesting they’ll be closed.

white101

I see they have rescinded this bizarre advice

crazy-legs

I see they have rescinded this bizarre advice

Yep, gone from their website but still circulating wildly on social media and on various cycling websites.

With the predictable comments. 😅

Wonder what poor Comms Manager is getting it in the neck about that oh-so-simple sentence. Bet their Membership line has been ringing off the hook with complaints.

stevextc
    Free Member

They didn’t need to do/say anything.

.. and ???
    Long list of cyclists who’ve died and they never said no-one should cycle the day of the funeral as some virtue signal.

This whole thing is so out of control it’s unbelievable

scotroutes

Purity! Spiral!

convert

Yep, gone from their website but still circulating wildly on social media and on various cycling websites.

With the predictable comments. 😅

Go on the web page and press refresh – it comes and goes. So must be different on different serves.

Northwind

Do you ever get the feeling that the people responsible for this ultra-forelock-tugging nonsense are secret republicans? People slagging off the royal family are doing nothing but annoying people right now, but this stuff, this is getting people riled. Everything from funerals cancelled to people being arrested for (tasteless) protest, to some sport being cancelled but others not…

kelvin

It’s a line they chose to walk when they didn’t have to. Maybe they should have biked it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Who would “some” be though?

Even LBC isn’t going to start their afternoon phone in with “BC didn’t explicitly tell cyclists not to ride their bikes on Monday”.

Fair enough if some businesses feel the need to close so that staff can watch it on TV, and then post that they’re closed on social media / email etc. B&Q just sent me almost exactly that, but they didn’t feel the need to tell me not to spend the day painting the hallway.

tjagain

I suspect that it was intended to refer to organised events but clumsily written. Even that tho should be up to the event organisers

Northwind

There’s no way TJ, it literally says “anybody out riding their bike”

thecaptain
    Free Member

I just went to the page (for the first time, so not a cache) and it clearly states still

“British Cycling strongly recommends that anybody out riding their bike on the day of the State Funeral does so outside of the timings of the funeral service and associated processions, which will be confirmed later this week. Once published, we will share the details of those timings on this page.”

LAT

but if everyone is watching the funeral, with their curtains shut as a sign of respect, no one will see you cycling.

I suspect that it was intended to refer to organised events but clumsily written. Even that tho should be up to the event organisers

i can’t imagine that many events were planned for a monday that wasn’t a holiday until last week.

ElShalimo

Will the Civil Aviation Authority recommend that planes in UK airspace turn their engines off during the service as a mark of respect?

mjsmke

I have no idea what time the funeral is on Monday and have no intention on finding out.

I’ll be going for a ride or a run at some point that day.

fasgadh
    Free Member

Had hoped never to hear that phrase again, but you are right – I am really picking up lockdown vibes on this one.

butcher

I just went to the page (for the first time, so not a cache) and it clearly states still

It can, and probably will, be cached on their servers. Whether that’s the reason it’s still there, I don’t know.

It’s a mental thing to say though. Akin to telling everyone to stay indoors. It’s literally suggesting we shouldn’t transport ourselves from one place to another (presumably they hold the same opinion on walking, driving, etc). Doesn’t make any sense whatsoever, so obviously a misscommunication… But it doesn’t read as such.

tjagain

Go on the web page and press refresh – it comes and goes

Maybe there is a battle royale going on between monarchists and republicans?

davros

I’ll just wear my invisibility cloak.

LAT

Had hoped never to hear that phrase again, but you are right – I am really picking up lockdown vibes on this one.

undoubtedly. i have a friend whose hospital appointment has bee canceled on monday. makes you think.

Maybe there is a battle royale going on between monarchists and republicans?

this is happening in secret all the time. do your own research. youtube is a great place to start.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Could be worse I suppose…

You could be planning a bike ride at centre parcs. Wtf

The whole thing is madness. Contrary to what the bbc want us to believe, most folks (even those who liked the queen like me) are well over it already.

Does anyone really think the majority will spend their day off in somber reflection in front of the tv watching a church service? I have a tee time booked at the golf course for 9am. If the clubhouse is open I’ll have a bacon roll in her honour.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ll be out in my bike. She’s dead, it’s sad, end of.

scotroutes

Will the Civil Aviation Authority recommend that planes in UK airspace turn their engines off during the service as a mark of respect?

@ElShalimo
    – I’ve already had my email from the CAA (pointing out that Central London will be a “no fly” zone for drones on Monday).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.