• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Those Wolftooth dropper remotes….
  • iainc

….was just reading about the new light action one on the news page there and contemplating one for my new Fox Transfer post. I have the post currently on a 2x lever on the right as I have arthritis in left thumb, but if the Wolftooth is as light actioned as it’s claimed to be, it would be a great left side lever for my 1x setup on the FS.

I am fine with a well setup front mech shifter on that side on other bike, so if it’s similar actuation force it would work..

Anyone used them, experiences ?

Tracey

Have a wander into a Specialized dealer and try one of the Command Post levers. They are very easy to push with the thumb and it will give you something to try out

weeksy

Magura Vyron is Ant+ so uses a quick button press. Effotless.

prawny

The one on my brand x post is a lighter action that a fairly normal front mech I reckon. A damn sight easier than my old KS one.

iainc

weeksy – Member

The mechanic i deal with in LBS was trying to get me to go that route also, but they get poor reviews, hence went with Fox Transfer.

Tracey, good idea, will give that a go, thanks

munrobiker
    Free Member

If you are happy with a front mech shifter you can just use a Sram one with some of the guts removed. They’re really good.

monkeyboyjc

With a bit of careful dremmel work you can alter a Shimano front shifter so that it works too.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Sorry to be cheeky iainc, but I have a Magura Vyron for sale (not advertised yet).

it’s the 31.6mm one with 150mm drop. I would have kept it for my new frame, but it wasn’t the right size.

I’ve had it for just over a year and it has been faultless despite the low scoring reviews. I was used to the operation and slight delay after about 30 mins to an hour riding.

Let me know if you’re looking for one.

iainc

thanks for the ideas.

johnw – cheers, but have bought the Fox (and need 30.9 anyway !)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, the button is the size of a pinhead, on a switch held on by a flimsy elastic band, making it almost impossible to hit with any kind of regularity.

It’s thus effortless, as you give up trying to use it.

Great idea, stunningly poor execution.

Not to mentioned the post delay & randomly not working despite pressing the button like a madman.

iainc

Ordered one of the new LA (light action) Wolftooth ones, £60 and free shipping so cheaper than the Fox ones in U.K. ,

johnw1984
    Free Member

iainc, I ordered a Transfer as the replacement, but just missed out on stock 🙂

Ended up going for the Bike Yoke Revive. First couple of rides and it’s been great.

Would have been happy with the Fox though judging from the reviews.

Hob Nob, I agree with the button being a bit small, but the remote itself has been solid. I even kept it on when the bike was on the roof and it didn’t budge.

woodster

I have the original Wolftooth remote for my transfer (not a lot of choice for a transfer as you need cable clamping at the lever end) and it is really lovely to use, so much nicer than a Reverb remote and is nice that it integrates with my brake lever. I find the action nicely positive without being hard to press, but sounds like the light action will suit you.

Expensive for what it is, but it seems built to last (I bought a spare axle to keep so that I don’t end up waiting on one, but I can’t see that it’s likely to break sitting where it does)

iainc

Thanks woodster, sounds like it may be ideal for me.

weeksy

Yep, the button is the size of a pinhead, on a switch held on by a flimsy elastic band, making it almost impossible to hit with any kind of regularity.

Not to mentioned the post delay & randomly not working despite pressing the button like a madman.

Maybe you’re just cack handed 😉 Not had any of these issues. They’re releasing a new bigger button for all you cack handed monkeys which is bigger.
    The elastic band works perfectly well, they use them on lights too, you don’t see either scattered aout the trails 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Not really – it was on a demo bike, everyone complained about the post. Most reviews also comment on the rubbish remote & ‘quirky’ nature of the post too – so it’s hardly a unique issue 😉

The only benefit is the lack of cables for swapping between bikes.

To be honest, i’d rather have 2 Reverbs/Levs/Transfers/anything else other than the Magura.

iainc

to get it back on track, I went for the Fox Transfer over a reverb (which I have on other bike) as this one is internal routing and I know that a reverb would be a bit more faff (even with the connectamajig) to pop out when it breaks…

Transfer seems to get nothing but praise and is an easy cable disconnect if it needs warranty. I bought it from LBS to aid that process as and when required.

I opted for the 2x/3x lever, so I can run on right, even though the bike is 1×11, as I have a weak left thumb. I have now ordered the new light action Wolftooth remote to give it a try on left, and it’s a simple cabling job to do so.

dizcostix
    Free Member

iainc – i missed this yesterday. I have the same setup! A fox transfer with wolftooth remote. So easy to set up – The lever action is very light and it’s easy to modulate the post actuation for a partial raise.

You’ve made an excellent choice!

iainc

^^^^ 🙂

That’s good to know ! Cheers

nixie

Maybe you’re just cack handed Not had any of these issues. They’re releasing a new bigger button for all you cack handed monkeys which is bigger.
    The elastic band works perfectly well, they use them on lights too, you don’t see either scattered aout the trails [/quote]

Not had any of these issues either. A tiny bit of sugru solves the button size and had no problems with the remote floating out of reach. The delay is no different to getting use to reducing power when changing gear on an alfine and is not a significant as some reviews would have you think.

Given the reverb failure rate I had anything other than another of those (3 posts, 2 failures, other one sold to avoid failure).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Those Wolftooth dropper remotes….’ is closed to new replies.