Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Those waist pack,/bum bag things. Any good, lad wants one for christmas.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

When out riding with his mates which involves a lot of sessioning and dicking about he notmally wears a skate type rucksack. It’s a bit on the big side so hes suggested he might like a waist bag thing. Any recommendations, can you get essential snacks, a gopro and a few tools in one, enough to satisfy a 14 year old anyway.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, they’re great. Evoc here, takes a fair amount of kit.

sandwicheater

Perfect for wee little rides or something longer but still close to home.

Was a tad dubious, picked up a second hand Dakine 3 litre jobby.

Just big enough for pump, tube, wallet, phone, tyre leaves, multi tool and a few snacks.

Great in the summer without the sweaty bag.

Does’t move about, barely notice it.

whitestone
    Free Member

Head to a running shop – tend to be popular with runners so plenty of options. Outdoor shops will have them as well.

The running ones will be able to fit enough things in – usually they are big enough for the mandatory kit in fell races – full waterproof cover, hat, map, compass, a bit of emergency food – so something like 2 litres capacity.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Head to a running shop – tend to be popular with runners so plenty of options. Outdoor shops will have them as well.

Funny you should say that but I looked in the usual places, crc etc and there wasnt that many to choose from that looked “bike specific” so wondered if they’d been seen as a bit of an enduuurrrooo fad but n reality weren’t all that useful.

Pyro

Bought an Evoc one for shorter solo rides, just to carry tools, pump and a water or windproof jacket, and it’s grand. Runners one would probably have been a bit cheaper, but never found one I got on with all that well (though I do have a Salomon one for winter night orienteering, wouldn’t use it on the bike though)

joebristol

I’ve run a cheapie one for a year or two now (I forget when I got it) for short rides where I can get by with a water bottle in the bike and just a few tools in the bag. Decided it’s brilliant in concept – especially when it’s hot and you’d normally get a sweaty back with a full bag.

Taken the plunge now and got a more expensive one – it’s a Camelbak Tepack LR4 – so it has a water bladder in it too.

My cheaper one I found moved a bit if it wasn’t really tight and the straps gradually loosen on it m. The Camelbak feels much more secure with better straps – so I’m hopefully it’s worth the investment over the cheapie one. I also think o can now do longer rides without having to go for a big bag too as I’ll have 1.5 litres in the bag plus a water bottle on the bike.

bonni

Another Evoc hip pack here. Bought for £50 in a sale earlier this year to avoid faff and just get out the door and ride.

It’ll easily fit essentials in it without a bladder. I have stuck a smaller bottle in the elasticated side compartment to supplement by my bottle cage in warm weather.

I hardly realise I’m wearing it, so no complaints.

dawson

I like the look of the Evoc  but they seem to be £80-£100

Have also seen Lowe Alpine at £28 but possibly a bit too big for what I wanted.

https://lowealpine.com/uk/mesa-6

fathomer

I’ve got a Camelbak Repack and it’s really good, use it all the time. Easily get a small waterproof, 500ml soft flask, pump, multitool, puncture repair kit, spares pouch and phone in it. Plus some food and keys in the waist pockets. Another bottle and tube on the bike, job jobbed for most of the year.

If I was looking now I’d probably go with the Osprey offering as I really like their bags. The Dakine and Evoc ones also look pretty good.

Kamakazie

Bontrager Rapid Pack is small and relatively affordable.
    Nice and comfy with room for phone, snack, multi-tool and either a bottle or jacket in the middle.

bikecurious
    Free Member

I’m on my second bonty rapid pack. First one some stitching came undone (in a tumble, admittedly) and was warrantied. I love it; it’s so freeing to ride without a pack, moving around on the bike feels a lot more comfortable.

kazafaza
    Free Member

I’ve had the waterproof roll-top OverBoard 3l, it was great as long as it wasn’t overloaded – the narrow belt did tend to dig in in me muffins. Camelbak Palos was fine, same as the current Deuter Pulse – that can be had for half price from Tredz. I’m tempted to get a spare one at this price, especially that being a different colour too.

zilog6128

I have one, it’s good although I mainly use it for hiking. Has he tried one of the low-slung backpacks e.g. Camelbak Skyline? That’s what I use, really rate it, feels a million times better to ride than a traditional backpack.

globalti
    Free Member

Isn’t this what Americans call a fanny pack?

ayjaydoubleyou

Got the dakine 2L one.
    Totally adequate for any daytime ride short enough or with resupply points to only need 1 bottles worth of water.
    The bottle goes on the frame, the side mount bottle holder on the bag isnt great, noticeable off centre weight and wobble.

Previously (bike with no bottle cage) had a mavic one which held the bottle at an angle in the middle. So comfy and could remove and drink one handed while riding. Sadly the zip split, and didnt have enough capacity so ended up with a bit of taping stuff to the frame.

fathomer

zilog6128 – Subscriber
    I have one, it’s good although I mainly use it for hiking. Has he tried one of the low-slung backpacks e.g. Camelbak Skyline? That’s what I use, really rate it, feels a million times better to ride than a traditional backpack.

Just for the other end of the spectrum, I hate my Skyline, really must get round to selling it!

mrb123
    Free Member

https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/dept/bum-bags_d01232.htm

The Pete Bland ones are the classic fell running ones.

globalti
    Free Member

I used a Lowe Alpine skiing bumbag for the first few years of my mountain biking career until manufacturers started inventing backpacks with bladder compartments and net pockets. It worked fine except that on really wet rides water would penetrate the zip and grit would jam it.

andykentos
    Free Member

Evoc also make a 1L hip pouch, which i find perfect, not nearly as bulky as the 3L one (obviously) but with the pockets on the hip strap i can still carry a lock, sam finger splint, triangular bandage, wallet, keys, phone, spare tube, pump, thin windshell, oneup chain pliers.

Brilliant bit of kit.

https://www.evocsports.com/products/backpacks/hip-pouch-1l

kayak23

It’s a good idea. I mean if it’s good enough for the Rock

martinhutch

I have the repack too. I use it without a bladder (bottle on frame) and it comfortably takes repair stuff/first aid/phone and a layer (not a thick one). Even took it bikepacking this summer.

Very comfy, it only becomes a potential problem in mixed conditions where you set out with a couple of extra layers, then it warms up and you want both of them packed away, and vice versa.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I’ve got the Evoc one. Brilliant. I use it for all my rides, it can even hold a bottle.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Go outdoors and price match the camelback repack. Big discount.

easily
    Free Member

Isn’t this what Americans call a fanny pack?

Yes, because ‘fanny’ means your arse over there. Not your minge.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😂

stayhigh

I have one of THESE from Decathlon. Despite being a 10l pack it cinches up nice and snug, doesn’t bounce all over the place and has the added bonus of loads of space if you need it. Best of all its £15 so if he doesn’t like it/get on with it you haven’t taken too much of a hit.

Have had mine for about three years with no problems at all 🙂

noltae
    Free Member

Chest rigs are what all the kids who do wheelies go for ..

COLLECTIVE 'CHEST RIG'

solidrooster
    Free Member

Lowe alpine fjell user here. Big enough to carry pacajak, spare tube, tools and jelly babies. Been using it nearly 2 years still going strong

greenskin
    Free Member

Hey, I use a Evoc Hip Pack Pro 3l. Comes with a top opening bladder, easy to bin off if you require more space, has the ability to carry two 500ml bottles externally. The elasticated belt is also real comfy on longer rides and has a draw system to tighten for descents and loosen for climbs. Best i’ve used for a long while.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Got the Dakine hot laps small one. It’s perfect – holds a spare tube, mini pump, multi tool, phone and a bit of food easily. I leave it packed so I can grab it and go.

erictwinge
    Free Member

i bought an evoc one, maybe used it twice? just dont have the need to carry stuff anymore. water in the bottle, tools in the steerer, co2 on the frame. dont carry keys or a wallet, phone in me pocket.

it will be making an appearance this weekend tho, to carry a hip flask!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Those waist pack,/bum bag things. Any good, lad wants one for christmas.’ is closed to new replies.