Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Those solar storm Cree light batteries. Flatten and charge every time?
  • stoddys
    Free Member

So I’ve read loads of the what light posts, but could not see the answer to this question.

Just charged my new ss lights, I went out for 1 hour to try them out. Very pleased by the way.
    But
    I did not flatten the batterie on my ride, all 3 led,s on the back were still lit.

Should I flatten them completely before I re charge them?
    They won’t last on high beam for another longer ride, so do I run them down then recharge them so I can go out every time with a full charge?

If this has been answered somewhere before sorry, I did look.

Stoddy

deadkenny
    Free Member

Should be lithium batteries in which case there’s not really a memory effect on them so you can charge from half and will be back up to full, or drain and charge to full and all the same. Storing they’re happier with half a charge anyway.

Good batteries and chargers will have over and under charge protection. The under charge is quite critical as there’s a minimum it must hold. Lithiums tend to die completely if they drop too low and will never charge again, but they should be protected against this so long as they’re not dodgy batteries, but still a full drain is not really required.

stoddys
    Free Member

Thanks for the answer.
    I’m sure they are not good batteries not for £14 all in any way.

So I will top them up before the next ride.

shermer75
    Free Member

My understanding is that lithium based batteries, like lead acid batteries, do not like to be completely drained so therefore it is best to charge them as often as possible. Unlike the old nickel based batteries, which needed to be fully discharged every time. You will know if it is lithium because it will feel noticeably light.

pk13

Mine drained down over the summer/lighter months and will no charge. Bugger

stuey
    Free Member

I just spent two hours rewiring some cells into new batteries this morning – my mind boggles that I could buy a new light set from China for £20.

– Yup store long term at 50% and use a decent charger – no memory effect so top up as needed- funnily enough my two UK company chargers aren’t a patch on my DX ‘smart RC’ battery charger!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Those solar storm Cree light batteries. Flatten and charge every time?’ is closed to new replies.