Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Those pump up squirty garden weed killer spray thingies for cleaning bikes.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Now that I’ve got a nice clean new car I’m a little loathed to go chucking mud splattered bikes in the boot. The Mighty Vectra (may it rest in pieces) was like a mobile chicken coop towards the end of its life. Dried mud in every nook and cranny and tyre marks on the roof lining.

So, I’m toying with the idea of getting one of those pump up weed killer spray bottle thingies.

Question 1: Do they have enough pressure to be of any use?

Question 2: Has a 5 litre one got enough capacity to clean down two filthy bikes or should I be looking at a larger 16 litre unit?

I await your nuggets of wisdom.

flyingmonkeycorps

1. Yes. They won’t blast the mud off like a pressure washer, but combined with a brush you can make a pretty decent job of it.

2. Can’t remember if mine is a 5l or an 8l, but it does two bikes at a push, just about.

MadPierre

Stop being a tight wad and get a Mobi! 😉 A job worth doing is a job worth doing well and all that

And bung old curtains or similar in the car to save what is left rubbing on it

trail_rat
    Free Member

the one i have is 3 bar/43psi

it has an adjustable nozzle

it cleans 2 bikes from 5litres – i kept 8 bikes clean for a whole 24 hour race no bother – and the battery never went flat :d

pick your brand carefully – i have usedsome right crap ones in the past – mines just out of aldi.

wont blast the mud off like the mains pressure washer at home – but i wouldnt want that near my bike anyway. its as good as the mobiwashers ive used tbh.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Question 1. No.

I use a small one for spraying on muck off, but have to use a hose (low pressure!!) to get the crud off.

superfli
    Free Member

As long as the mud is wet the hoselock ones are ok. I have a 5ltr one and 2 bikes is a struggle – I usually take a jerry can as well, with water to top up.
    Remove the spray nosel so that squirts more powerfully.

Mines older than this, and I only paid £25 I think
    http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-care-watering/watering-irrigation/hand_sprayers/Hozelock-Pressure-Sprayer-Plus-5L-12428578

7ltr one might be better option. Should do 2 bikes. But its £45
    http://www.garden4less.co.uk/hozelock-7-litre-professional-pressure-sprayer.asp

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had one, and found it to be pretty useless. Its a bit of a pain having to stand there pumping it up when you’re knackered after a cold wet ride too.

The ones powered off the car battery are a lot better

binners

You don’t need one of those.

Just finish your ride, maybe a quick pint, then simply instigate a civil uprising or coup. And… voila .… free jet washing for yourself and your riding companions! Simply grab hold of your bike and try and remain upright…..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I used a 5l B+Q, worked fine.

muddyground
    Free Member

The pump up ones are better than nothing, but you’re be better off with a bucket and big brush/sponge with 20l of water in a jerry can thingie. Much quicker, much more efficient. I’ve got a 5 litre pump up one, and it is only just enough to get one already wet and muddy bike 90% clean, but no more than that as they’re not very powerful. I’ve not tried a powered one, but still suspect a bucket and brush would be better.

dabble
    Free Member

I used a 5l B+Q, worked fine.

Hear hear.

Damp it down, bit of muc-off or your bike cleanser of choice and then rinse. Put PTFE tape on all the joints when building it up, and don’t tighten too hard (finger tight) then nip up if it’s leaking (again, with fingers). Jobs a good un. 5 litres is perfect for 1 bike, as has been said, just take a jerry can if you need more.

EDIT- i pump as i spray to keep the pressure at max, no bother shifting turd and big lumps stuck in my bottom triangle.

Huwzy
    Free Member

Been looking at this one,16l

[/url]

wrightyson
    Free Member

Or put the bike on a roof or towbar carrier?

D0NK

Remove the spray nosel so that squirts more powerfully.

yeah the weed killer versions seem a cheap light alternative but I think the diffuser on the ones I’ve seen would be too fine do do anything other than moisten the mud on your bike. Remove it or get/make a better one (dunno if you can manipulate the stock one)

dabble
    Free Member

Or put the bike on a roof or towbar carrier?

Some people may not like to advertise the fact they’ve got a couple of grands worth of kit that the police will do bugger all to retrieve if pinched. Bike crime is so rife nowadays i’d suggest everyone puts their bikes inside their vehicles where feasible.

binners

You could always carry your own cleaners…..

Junkyard
    Free Member

Question 1: Do they have enough pressure to be of any use?

Yes but it wont blast it off but you will be able to wash /brush/clean it off – then again so would a bucket of wate

Question 2: Has a 5 litre one got enough capacity to clean down two filthy bikes or should I be looking at a larger 16 litre unit?

I reckon the larger tbh – or two 5 litres if cheaper

I await your nuggets of wisdom.

You will have a long wait and no agreement

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Usually if you unscrew the nozzle you vary from mist…

…to a stream [as being demonstrated here] 🙂

binners

or give them your co-ordinates and stand back….

derek_starship
    Free Member

Binners is in a good mood. Had a good do at the reduced counter in Greggs?

Compact and cheap you say? :

Hareydan
    Free Member

You’d be better off drinking the contents and trying to piss the mud off (imho, of course 😉 ), my riding buddy had one and we used it about 3 times before ditching it for a dirt worker, sooo much better

binners

Even better than that Derek my good man. Back on the bike, post nackered shoulder, for the first time in 7 weeks. I is like a little ray of sunshine 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5D2tetZKeU[/video]

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

The people who have had success with them here, obviously don’t have proper claggy clay where they live. All that would happen round my way is that I would soak the mud making a nice drippy soup that would then drip all over the car when I finally gave in and went home.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

ahh yes, does of course depend on whether you trying to shift some wet peak district grit (easy) or chilterns clay (impossible)

curvature
    Free Member

Use a foam spryer. It soaks into the dirt and then washes off very easily.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Mesto-FOAMER-Pressure-Sprayer-1-5L-/390628666784?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item5af3486da0

The design of the nozzle means it will produce a foam from most detergents. I use RTF on my cars but normal bike cleaner when cleaning the bikes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Those pump up squirty garden weed killer spray thingies for cleaning bikes.’ is closed to new replies.