those people carrier excuses for cars..what's 'good' second hand?

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • those people carrier excuses for cars..what's 'good' second hand?
  • mudshark

I’m really happy with my Roomster, only one kid has to fit but great for putting a bike inside too with the rest of the luggage. I would have gone for a Yeti if needing more passenger space or a C-Max – the new ones look very good but presumably the OP would be looking at an older one.

Premier Icon funkrodent
    Subscriber

aracer – Member
    Mondeo a good shout but not as big in height room.
    Why exactly is lack of height room a disadvantage?

Well, it’s a simple equation that says the greater internal height available, the greater the total space is within the car. This means more storage and more flexibility as you can move round in the car more easily, making it more feasible if you are using it for camping and want to use it as a place to hang out (particularly useful in crap weather). Also useful in terms of carrying bikes!

I’ve driven both the Mondeo Estate and the Galaxy (one of which I owned as a company car). Couldn’t agree more that the Mondeo is an excellent car. But the Galaxy (new shape) drives almost as well as the Mondeo, offers seven seats, has more space than you can shake a stick at, is versatile beyond belief, offers a nice high-up driver’s position (great visibility) and seats you can get into without needing a degree in limbo (6’4″ driver content). A 5 yr old with 70,000 miles on, in good nick, can be picked up for around £7k. I can’t see any need to look further.

I suggest the OP test-drives a Galaxy and then reports back on his experience 🙂

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Yes the height really helps with space

Until we got the Scenic I’d never tried a car where I ould set my seat for driving (I’m 6 foot 4) and then sit in h seat behind the driving position ihout my knees touching it.

We’ve done 4 bikes and 4 people inside

We’ve done a family of 4icludin teenage kids, down through France last summer. All our camping gear incuding lots of toy including inflatable kayaks, with nothing on the roof.

Spaceman

I’ve had various people carriers over the years and have also hired a few, out of the ones I’ve had the Zafira was the worst car I’ve ever owned, (that includes a Chevette and a Renault 18!)

Honda FRV is a good shout, still quite cool looking and handles well, has quite a versatile 6 seat combo like the (hideous) Multipla.

FWIW I’mm now on my 2nd diesel C4 Grand Picasso with electronic gearbox, I do a lot of miles and it is a very easy car to drive, effortless. Not had any mechanical issues in the 3.5 years and 130,000miles I’ve put in on the two cars although have owned both from new so would expect reliability as a given (although the Zafira broke numerous times, as did a Peugeot 308 variant I had)

We do lots of camping and/or mtb trips and the amount of space in the C4 is fantastic and the extra two seats in the boot can actually be used by adults for a length of time, unlike those in other compact mpvs.
    Saying that If I could have afforded it (or rather if my company would let me afford it) I would have had an Smax. Looked at the C max but thought the C4 was still a better bet.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Well, it’s a simple equation that says the greater internal height available, the greater the total space is within the car.

Well in that case I could just as well say “Picasso/Scenic a good shout, but not as big in length and width room” – the thing is a Mondeo has more actual space inside than any of those small “people carriers”. Of course a Galaxy has more room inside, and I’ll give you that they’re quite decent to drive, but they are seriously big vehicles. Your economic argument for those falls down not only because there’s only one Galaxy under 5yo and under 80k miles for <£7k on autotrader in the whole country, but also because you can get a similar age and mileage Mondeo estate for a lot less money. Not only that, but the Mondeo will be quite a bit cheaper to run. Remember the OP is only talking about a couple of kids.

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

In my expereince cars like Mondeos have way less boot space and rear leg room that a grand Scenic. The more up right seating means that you can’t really compare vehicle length

But for that reason estates are way cheaper used. Even more so for true 7 seaters

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

funkrodent – Member

A 5 yr old with 70,000 miles on, in good nick, can be picked up for around £7k. I can’t see any need to look further.

That’s a pretty big price premium over a comparable estate though. More or less twice what you’d pay for an equivalent mondeo, without scrimping on spec either.

Why exactly is lack of height room a disadvantage?

Never had to sit in the back of a car on a long journey without enough headroom? Even some estates have stupidly low roofs over the back seats. Bear in mind that it’s easier to lift small kids in and out of cars with more headroom, and small kids grow into big kids who need as much headroom as adults.

Whenever I see a man driving a people carrier, I always imagine there’s a wife next to him keeping his balls in her handbag.

I’ve got a C-max.

I have no kids.

I can fit a double mattress in the back and get naked without needing the flexibility of a teenage gymnast.

Would I buy one again? No, I’d buy an even bigger one.

My biggest criticism of it is the seats, why don’t they fold flat? I know the sliding mechanism means you can have humungous leg room if there’s only 4 people in the car, but why? I’m 6ft, and there’s acers of leg room as standard, should have had normal hatchback seats or like the vauxhall ones which fold into the floor. Either would give it a 6ft long boot without having to take the seats out.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

In my expereince cars like Mondeos have way less boot space and rear leg room that a grand Scenic.

Well the specs would disagree with you on boot space, and I presume you’ve not sat in a current Mondeo if you think the rear seats on that are lacking in legroom.

Never had to sit in the back of a car on a long journey without enough headroom? Even some estates have stupidly low roofs over the back seats. Bear in mind that it’s easier to lift small kids in and out of cars with more headroom, and small kids grow into big kids who need as much headroom as adults.

We were talking about a Mondeo, which doesn’t suffer from those issues.

Either would give it a 6ft long boot without having to take the seats out.

Like I get in my Mondeo? 😛

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘those people carrier excuses for cars..what's 'good' second hand?’ is closed to new replies.