Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Those on one helmets
  • wwaswas

Could you give an outline of the testing procedure and how your helmets faired in the tests.

how do you find out how all the other helmets you buy have been tested, surely you don’t ask the frame designer?

anyway I did a quick google on your behalf and found this;

http://cyclehelmets.org/1081.html

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Would this helmet receive so much love with “superstar” written on it?

I dunno, this thread seems overly cynical to me! Hard to imagine a new £40 Giro helmet getting this much of a grilling!

Thanks Brant. Could you give an outline of the testing procedure and how your helmets faired in the tests. As it’s a piece of safety equipment I’m more interested in its test performance than how it looks.

Does it really matter? Plenty of helmets out there will be made to just scrape through the tests (IIRC some road and XC helemts are actualy different between markets to maxiise venting/weight savings depending on the test). And the odds of you having a crash that exaclty replicates a EN or SNELL are slim to none, and then what happens if you have a EN crash and you’ve bought a SNELL helmet, you’re dooooooommmmmmmeeeeeeeddddddddddddd. And that’s before you suffer a “TJ special” (aka rotational injury).

Or you could do what the EN standard is designed to do, and let someone else figure out what’s safe, and if it is, give it a sticker saying it is.

plyphon
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member
    Thanks Brant. Could you give an outline of the testing procedure and how your helmets faired in the tests.

I would of thought it was fairly evident how they faired in the tests.

They passed. They’re on sale.

iolo
    Free Member

One one are so good at advertising.
    It costs them nothing.
    Very clever.

brant
    Free Member

iolo – Member
    One one are so good at advertising.
    It costs them nothing.
    Very clever.

What’s up iolo?
    I/we seem to niggle you.

Dark-Side

He’s the ad sales guy for MBUK…

fourbanger
    Free Member

Thanks wwaswas. I ask Brant as he’s a representative of OnOne products on here and usually, helpfully, answers questions regarding their products.
    I get the impression some of you find it an odd question. Would you find it odd if I asked about the NCAP safety rating if I were buying a car? I suspect not.
    If you’re buying a motorbike helmet, you can look at http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ for a comparative evaluation of the helmets performance in relation to various forms of typical simulated impact.
    Can Brant or anyone from OnOne give an outline of the testing procedure and how your helmets faired in the tests?
    I take my protection seriously.

iolo
    Free Member

Darkside, I’ve been rumbled. Damn you

Northwind

Bike CEN isn’t a comparative test, it’s a pass or fail so you can’t compare with SHARP (which is, in any case, shit) or NCAP. How did it fare? You already know.

nickc

car and motorbike safety is one thing, push bikes entirely different thing.

each to their own though

wwaswas

I get the impression some of you find it an odd question.

only odd insofar as it’s a pass/fail test. The o-o helmets passed but you seem to want more, I tried to link you to a site with more specific info on the tests and I’m sure google would provide more about the testing regime. I expect on-one just buy a helmet that’s passed and don’t worry about the detail of what happens, same as a lot of other people would and do.,

I just wondered what additional information you had from whoever you bought your current helmet off so that brant would know how much detail you were expecting from him.

Tbh, it felt like you were asking a general question about how the tests were carried out and what was measured rather than a specific question about brant’s helmet (so to speak).

re: NCAP = I would look and see if a car had n stars but what tests they actual represent the results of and how that might reflect in my day to day usage of the car I’d have no idea about. I wouldn’t expect the bloke who designed the engine to know the detail about the air bags, either, tbh.

fourbanger
    Free Member

So I should just worry about the colour and ignore how much damage limitation it might provide?

wwaswas

I think you need to decide if you trust the European safety standards and either buy a helmet that meets them or not.

brant
    Free Member

Oh my. With my shonky Chinese web connection I have only just got onto our site and seen there is zero content on the helmet details. I think we have had a web sync glitch and am trying to get it resolved.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Thanks brant

By the way how did the food hunting go? I used to go to china a lot, I really struggled with the food.

brant
    Free Member

Food good. Even for my vegetarian boss.
    Sleep less good.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Lots of pics of the helmets on the website now…..

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HEOOTSH/on_one_trail_sport_helmet

JoeG
    Free Member

I agree with AJsMonkey! 😀 The On-One Enduro looks the same as the O’Neal Orbiter. I wonder if O’Neal will be hounded for crash test dummy data as well! 😆

The O’Neals (formerly Azonic) I see selling for $90-105 here in the US. The On-One is $62. So did On-One they cut corners? I don’t think so, they just cut levels of distribution (middle men).

Example (costs made up, but not unreasonable):

On-One buys a helmet for $35; sells for $62; say $10 is profit, $17 in costs for warehousing, website, packaging, and other overhead costs.

O’Neal buys a helmet for $35, and has similar overhead costs to On-One so sells it to a wholesaler (like QBP or BTI) for $62. The wholesaler costs (including shipping) and profit mean a markup of 25% when they sell to the retailer for $77.50. The retailer also has shipping and overhead costs and wants to make a profit, so marks it up another 25% to $96.87 at retail. Which is about what they sell for in the US.

On-One

O’Neal

On-One

O’Neal

althepal

That O’neil helmet looks alright but a bit steep- has it been crash tested? 🙂

Yak

Trail Sport helmet has turned up now.
    Looks good and fits Mrs Yak’s head fine. Not ridden yet though.

For some reason buck rogers sprung to mind, but maybe that’s because she’s used to more xc/road type helmets and this gives a bit more coverage.

khani
    Free Member

What are the straps like? Are they fixed to the sides like a zen or do they run loose up the inside of the helmet?

Yak

Loose then fix at halfway up the inside at between the lowest and 2nd row of vents. The rear ones fix towards the bottom at the black downwards pointing triangle.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Flick up a pic Yak?

khani
    Free Member

Ta Yak, I hate rats nest straps..

Yak

here you go

try again – oh flip – what have I done wrong?

edit – bingo!

DSCN1185 by Yak_stw, on Flickr

DSCN1186 by Yak_stw, on Flickr

DSCN1187 by Yak_stw, on Flickr

DSCN1188 by Yak_stw, on Flickr

wwaswas

Yak

thanks

wwaswas

you need to put just this bit;

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7332/10722867993_9afe63e696.jpg

inside [ img ] … [/ img ] .

Yak

Thanks! – I had the bbcode and the html mixed up 😕

ocrider

Hmm, looking at Yak’s photos, it certainly is an interesting colour for a lid. What would inspire such a choice by O-O?

Yak

hmmm – my pics have made it seem purple.

In reality its dark grey with lighter grey patterns. If anything the dark grey has a hint of brown in it.

creedy
    Free Member

The new details for the lid made me chuckle! STW forum designs OO web page. Love the ‘lots in stock’!
    I thought more would have picked up on it really.

hammyuk
    Free Member

“Lots in stock” Really?
    I’ve had it with On-one – no offence Brant, whilst I appreciate your input on here your office couldn’t organise an alcoholic imbibing in its place of origin…..
    Placed yet another order yesterday morning and only now received an email, with no name attached ” apologising for your inconvenience, Unfortunately we have been experiencing technical issues with our website recently and stock levels advertised on the website have not been updated correctly. As such, we have over-sold on many ….blah de blad, de blah……”
    Apparently ONE item in the order I placed was out of stock so they cancelled the WHOLE **** ORDER!!,!
    “The website has now been updated correctly. We have cancelled and refunded your order in full so you will be able to place your order again with the correct stock levels available..”
    Great! I’ll just wait a week before I see the cash back in my account, then place yet another order for the items I want and then sit there wondering if it’s actually going to go through…
    This has happened on the LAST THREE orders I’ve placed…..
    Sorry Brant – my money for 5 helmets and the rest of the stuff has gone to Wiggle.

brant
    Free Member

Noted. You have mail.

rollodes
    Free Member

Also looks a lot like these ones..

Found: Fly Racing Freestone Mountain Bike Helmet

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Those on one helmets’ is closed to new replies.