• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Kit.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Those of you who've had therapy for depression
  • Kit
    Free Member

Mind if I ask for how long you saw someone? And did you ever go back once therapy had finished?

I had about 6 sessions (of CBT) nearly 4 years ago, which have made things much better for me, but I’m struggling to cope again and want to go back. Anyone been in a similar situation, and how did it feel having to go back for support?

Thanks,
    Kit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No first had experience as a patient but a little knowledge as a professional

CBT is a treatment – it helps you learn to cope. It rarely gets to the causes of the depression

sometimes there is no cause that can be found, sometimes the cause is deep rooted and learning to cope is easier than rooting it out. CBT is effective and does get results

Perhaps consider a different “talking therapy” to look into the reasons why you feel like this – looking for a cure rather than a treatment to oversimplify. I am a fan of Person centred therapy but it is not for everyone.

You are the person who knows yourself best so long as you are honest with yourself. If you feel you need more treatment then why not. Have a look into different sorts of treatment and decide which suits you best. CBT is the easiest to get on the NHS as its cheap and does not take many sessions to get results.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve not had therapy specifically for depression (although I have suffered from depression) but I’ve had plenty of therapy for OCD and other issues; I saw someone over several years.

Feeling that you need to go back for some ‘top up’ sessions might feel like a bit of a failure or a slip up to some people but I’d see it as pretty postitive myself, in that you’re aware of how things are for you and have the courage to take steps when you feel you need to (I tend to adjust my medication and take steps when I’m aware that things are worstening for me).

There’s something about ‘mental health’ issues that seems to leave some of us thinking that we ought to be able to stay on top of things all of the time, or sort it out for ourselves, I doubt that we’d be so doubtful about seeking help for a reccurance of a physical problem. Whatever you decide to do, it’s your call of course but as someone who’s have a longterm struggle with mental health problems my feeling would be to take what steps you need to keep yourself well and if that’s therapy then why not?

I hope that it works out for you, good luck.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mefty
    Free Member

You might like to check out a web based CBT tool as a refresher such as moodgym.

LsD
    Free Member

http://www.livinglifetothefull.co.uk/

Is a useful site as well.

PJay
    Free Member

As TJ says, CBT is a treatment – it helps you learn to cope. It rarely gets to the causes of the depression

True, CBT is more about equiping you to cope, but sometimes depression doesn’t have a ‘trigger’. I’ve had bouts of really deep cyclic depression that just descended out of the blue (I guess the ’cause’ was chemical), in those situations sometimes coping is all you can do. If you know that there’s a definite cause/event underlying your depression then working on this (counselling maybe) could help deal with the depression for good but if not and you know that CBT has helped before it doesn’t feel a bad idea to try it again.

People often have strong views about medication for depression, again it’s not a solution but I wouldn’t have a problem using antidepressants as a shortterm aid to getting through a bad bout (as I wouldn’t have a problem taking a painkiller for a headache). If you’re unsure what to do for the best chatting to an understanding GP might help.

Kunstler

I’ve had a lot of different types of therapy over the years. I had psycho-dynamic counselling a few years ago and knew that I couldn’t be re-referred for it until twelve months had passed, and that is what happened. Each time it was for a set number of sessions which I think were over a period of five or six months.
    Last year I had a choice between CBT or more psycho-dynamic therapy but with a psychiatrist. I was initially offered (and recommended) group therapy which is open ended and can go on for years. I chose one to one sessions which ran for six months. This worked very well for me – better than any previous counselling. It was tough at times but the psychiatrist worked hard to direct the thinking. Things were looking up after that but I’ve had a really bad time of in the last six months and really wish I could go back right now. Going back to therapy again, I’ve known how it works and how to use it but knowing this doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s any easier to get to the core of things.
    You can email me if you want – I think we might be using services in the same area.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

I think it’s effectiveness can depend on broadly what kind of depression you have, If it’s reactive (i.e. reacting to events or external stimuli triggering depression) Then some kind of talking therapy will almost certainly help.

If you have monoamine based depression (i.e.neurotransmitters and neuromodulators being screwed up by the body not producing enough seratonin) It still could help, but probably not as much as in a reactive episode.

imho obviously.:)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve been off and in for therapy for over 10 years, depression and PTSD. Nothing wrong with going back for something that helps. You have the benefit of knowing the therapy and possibly which areas worked best for you, concentrate on those and keep well. Good luck.

lovewookie

My Wife suffers from depression, if you like to call it that, really its such a varied label, but anyway.

She pretty much knows her way around al of the self help stuff, but what has helped, and what she uses is a combination of hypnotherapy and EFT to calm her mood and Hakomi psychotherapy, which we both go to as it’s exploritory so can be surprising what comes up as a source.

Seems to be doing the trick, although I’m not anticipating a cure as I don’t believe it’s something that has a cure as such.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’ve had a fair bit of therapy over the last 6 years and it has helped enormously with OCD. I can’t say I’ve had much luck with depression though; exercise, routine and being around other people seem to help more.

I did a 6 week course in cbt and found it useful, but I did not commit to the process enough to really know how beneficial it is.

swiss01
    Free Member

i go to my physio for my dodgy musculoskeletal bother on a regular basis. this year i decided to take the same approach to keeping my head straight. treating it like any other problem, nothing special. and it’s been great.

i pay for it mind but it’s worth every penny

Kit
    Free Member

Thanks for all the web links and some ideas. And thank you to those who have invited me to email them – appreciated!

I believe my depression is reactionary. It largely stems from low self-esteem, and I’ve got a pretty good idea of the triggers. I have various attitudes to things in life that I think maybe I need to deal with, and yes talking to a professional seems the best start.

I’m completely against drugs, mostly due to my mum and my sister being dependent on them – I don’t want to end up on that road if I can avoid it.

I paid privately for my CBT first time about, but I can’t afford it now (being a student) so will see what can be offered through the NHS.

Cheers!
    Kit

PJay
    Free Member

You should be able to get some counselling or CBT through the NHS, but it’s often very limited in terms of duration (6 sessions or so). As a student you might find support through the college/university counselling service (most have them these days) if you’re okay about that; I doubt that they’d do CBT though.

Kunstler

Yes, that’s a good point. Counselling should be available through college/uni and woud probably happen fairly soon. After being referred by a GP there will be a wait before you van commence sessions. In past experience this has always been more than a month.

Kit
    Free Member

Aye someone else suggested the university services. Will give them a call, thanks for reminding me!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Those of you who've had therapy for depression’ is closed to new replies.