Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Those of you who don't drink, what do you drink!?
  • the-muffin-man

I’m gradually weening myself of the beer (down to 4 pints in a weekend from 15)as it’s only effect on me nowadays seems to be to make me a right grumpy fart the day after.

So what do you drink on a social night out. 5 pints of coke doesn’t appeal.

Cheers!

molgrips
    Free Member

As a student I used to drink coke. Then I started enjoying OJ+lemonade, but also love a pint of OJ and cranberry juice.

Nowadays it’s coke or J2O, but it doens’t come up very often!

Fortunately I really like coke, and have a sweet tooth so I can (or could) handle it.

Keva
    Free Member

if I don’t fancy a beer then I have lime & soda. very refreshing.

woody2000

I like alcohol free Erdinger when I’m driving. Probably weird though, everyone else seems to hate alcohol free beer!

Plus a “something and soda” is normally the cheapest drink in the pub.

iolo
    Free Member

Lime and Soda Water, Orange juice and Lemonade, Coke is far too sweet of me.

chewkw
    Free Member

Coffee and tea … coz I need to sell them soon.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Weened myself off a lot of red wine by subbing Cranberry juice in a wine glass whenever I fancied one – worked for me.

Now drink juices and elderflower presse, if I drink the really odd stuff I feel a bit less ‘cheated’ when everyone else is having nice wine or beers.

(I do occasionally have a beer or glass of wine now but a lot less than a couple of years ago)

willard

I go through stages. Currently drinking ginger ale when I feel the need, although caffeine free diet coke was nice for a while.

I do drink a lot of squash and water though and tea (caffeine free of course) is something I drink pints of!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Blue Becks: it’s a while since I’ve drunk beer so it tastes fine to me.

forexpipz
    Free Member

Are u Having a jiraffe. Quit drinking for a few months then get leathered.

simon_g

Lemonade, lime (cordial) and (angostura) bitters. Assuming you’re willing to overlook the alcohol content of the few drops of bitters.

Less sugary: lime & soda.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m something and soda usually lime, if I crack it’s also good with a vodka in it.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Been off the drink for 4 years. Now the absolute extreme, in the last 2 years only ever drank water, tea or coffee, no other liquid has passed my lips. And yes, I’m a miserable git!

Bunnyhop

Something with soda, maybe lime, cranberry, grapefruit or blackcurrant.
    I don’t like the J2O type drinks, they’re really just sugar with water and a tiny bit of fruit added, too sweet for me.

beej

OJ and soda
    Ginger beer
    Tomato juice + Worcester/tabasco
    Diet coke
    Becks Blue, even managed 8 in one night.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Lime and Indian tonic water. Lovvverly.

augustuswindsock

I’m with monkeysfeet, slimline tonic etc,

garage-dweller

Orange juice and lemonade
    Lime or blackcurrant and soda
    Non alcohol ginger beer
    Coke
    Tomato juice with tobasco

I do drink alcohol occasionally but as I am often driving and always alcohol free when I do then one of the above or a coffee or tea usually does for me

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Ginger beer + lime
    Blackcurrant, lemonade and lime

Kryton57

I’m back on booze for a bit after 3 months off, during which I drank Erdinger blue, which is also low cal and had immune system benefits….

wallop

Sparkling mineral water if I’m staying off the booze. Drinking sugary drinks like cola just for the sake of it seems bleurgh to me somehow.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

A life without good ale is only half a life. 😥

vickypea
    Free Member

Tomato juice with Tabasco!

Jamie
    Free Member

Been off the drink for 4 years. Now the absolute extreme, in the last 2 years only ever drank water, tea or coffee, no other liquid has passed my lips. And yes, I’m a miserable git!

Any particular reason for this? Health etc?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Jesus tonight. Bunch of miserable sods.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jesus tonight.

Where?!

MoreCashThanDash

I find coke and too much fruit juice give me as much of a buzz/sleepless night as alcohol does.

If I’m having a non drinking night out it’s usually lime and soda, J2O, low alcohol beers or just lemonade

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well first off i tend to not have anywhere near as many drinks as my beer-using pals do, cos i’m not ever that thirsty… but yeah. lime and soda. or if we’re in an establishment that happens to sell erdinger alkoholfrei, i’ll have that. or fentiman’s ginger beer/dandelion & burdock/cola. beck’s blue is okay but a little bit harsh i think. maybe the (very) occasional appletiser (or peartiser). no J2O though, it’s too sickly.

GJP
    Free Member

Lime and soda, every time, for about the last 10 years, and yes I am a miserable sod, but not half as miserable as when I drink beer.

wordnumb
    Free Member

It’s good question. There was an attempt a couple of years ago to begin a trend of ‘dry bars’ across the UK – which appears to have come to nothing.

I like drinking, but I also like going out and staying sober. Too often I feel that I am not welcome out after 6pm unless I am buying a shedload of alcohols and engaging in a drink-it-quick culture.

porter_jamie

i don’t drink, and have not done for decades – i don’t really go to pubs apart to eat. i drink orange and soda or tea. not coke because it has too much sugar in it and i can feel my teeth disolving.

Marge
    Free Member

Another vote for erdinger or any German alcohol free weizen beer.
    really quite excellent (if you can find it) and whilst its some years since I drank beer I think it tastes practically the same & this is confirmed by friends who have compared back to back.

Not usually available in the pub though 🙁
    I can’t drink sweet stuff all night long hence I try to find something a bit bitter (original lemonade or ginger beer for example)

cat69uk
    Free Member

Jamie, initially just for getting weight off, and then no real reason. I guess I’d just broke the habit of drinking beer or anything fizzy/sweet. Feel good for it, although my family think I’m strange.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Can`t offer any advice myself but mate used to bring a tray of Kaliber to every party and then proceed to go can for can with you, never saw the point in that !!
    Funniest thing a couple of years back mate sat in pub on Becks Blue lad comes in , “what you on” “Becks Blue” “Ill take two of them please" another lad comes in " you want a beer " " aye 2 of these" "make it 3 of them please" they must have gone through the round about 5 times before someone else said how come youre not drinking!!!

traildog
    Free Member

I drink different things, but never coke. Fruit juices, cordials. The basic is water though. I chill out more and drink slower and can have a good night without drinking.

But will also have a beer if I feel like it and if I’m not driving. It just all takes a bit of mental adjustment which comes with time.

growinglad
    Free Member

For the past 3 – 4 weeks I’ve really got into Alcohol free beer.

Okay, I’m in Switzerland, so not sure what you get in the UK, but the stuff I’ve found isn’t bad at all.

I think I’d struggle given the choice between a good British pint of chop juice, but compared to the Lagers here it’s blooming good.

I drink water all day at work, don’t mind a cup of tea, but nowt beats a nice cold beer, plus you have the bonus of not having to worry about driving the car, hangovers or feeling groggy the next day, having to get up a couple of times for a slash (drink 3 pints, pee 6 and all that), it’s cheaper and less fattening…..and for a man approaching middle age, these are important factors.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Wheat beer seems to survive the de-alcoholification process with more of its flavour and character intact than lager does – any 0% lager I’ve tried has a similar bitter, bilious aftertaste.

The alcohol free Erdinger is decent but I object to paying the price of a bottle of full-fat beer for a bottle of no-fat beer.

Bavaria 0% Wit is OK too – very like Hoegaarden, taste-wise.

Just stumbled upon The Alcohol Free Shop when googling for an image of the Bavaria. Could be quite useful as most supermarkets seem to have a very poor range.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pint of mild?

Saccades
    Free Member

Britvic 55 in a pint glass topped up with coke

or

Ginger with a bit of lime.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Those of you who don't drink, what do you drink!?’ is closed to new replies.