Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Those metal bike shed things…
  • Harry_the_Spider

…like this.

Anyone got one?

How many bikes?
    How secure?
    How much?

Go!

mrhoppy

I had one fabricated for me, 8’x4’x4′. Currently got 7 bikes in, 2.5mm plate steel sides on a 50mm angle iron frame, door has an interior frame, hinges are welded in place, twin slide bolts to lock it, I could have covered the locks but I’d rather they had a go at them than break into the house. Its then internally bolted to the garage floor.

£700.

cinnamon_girl

Used to have a Trimetals one which I think is in your pic. Held 3 bikes plus tyres etc. As regards security I did lock them to each other anyway but the top dog was in a warm house.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Had one. I got 3 bikes and some other stuff in it but that did involve taking some wheels off and having to take them all out to get the one at the back.

As for security I put mine on a concrete base that had a ground anchor inside it so I felt it was fairly secure (never knowingly tested). Otherwise I’d say average as best; not sure I’d want only the standard equipment for an uber bike.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’ve still got this one I reviewed for Descent-World 5 years ago. Still going strong. Currently houses 4 bikes, a strimmer and a towbar bike carrier. http://www.descent-world.co.uk/2010/08/07/safe-as-part-1-asgard-secure-bike-storage/

dazh

Before I got myself a garage, the rule was that bikes lived in the house. There was also another rule that I wasn’t allowed to buy any more without getting rid of one first. The first rule is no longer necessary, the second one has yet to be repealed 🙁

Sorry no help on the shed thing. I’d worry about the security. Scallies and boltcutters seem to have a symbiotic relationship where they get the best out of eachother.

bones
    Free Member

What do the bolt-cutters get, food?

dpfr

I have the Asgard ‘one bike’ box, which houses two pretty large bikes quite happily. It is solid and doesn’t seem to have to many places where it can be attacked (hinges and door frame are protected), and the whole thing is bolted to a concrete base. My only negative is that the door has a 12 mm padlock hasp which is just too small to take a SoldSecure Gold lock, which mostly seem to be 14 mm hasps or bigger, and some insurers would insist on this class of lock. Bigger Asgard bike boxes have a lock in the door, rather than relying on a padlock, I think.

andyl
    Free Member

I would consider either getting one made (look for a local metal fabrication place) or get a metal cage made if it’s cheaper for the security level and clad it with thinner metal sheets.

gribble
    Free Member

Have an Asgard Access 4 bike shed. Fits three comfortably. Wide bars are an issue.

Feels secure and well made. But unfortunately where there is a will…

climbingkev
    Free Member

Asgard Annex. 3 bikes, tools, helmets, shoes, pack, and duffle bag of armour etc. it’s a bit “Tetris” but it fits. I can’t remember how much £500? The manufacturers site was cheaper than other stockists……by a huge amount! Very secure, mine lives in an unsecured front garden and I loose no sleep. PIR light, small yappy dog and an 8st Ridgeback help 😉

matt_outandabout

Don’t be tempted to buy a cheap steel shed. Utter rubbish. I 80% built this one before coming to my senses and sending it back….
    Waltons Metal Apex 10x6 Shed Review

djglover
    Free Member

I used to have the trimetals one, I had a DH bike, trail bike and road bike in it, all with wheels on. It was a squeeze. If it’s properly secured to the ground you should be good with one.

andyl
    Free Member

Size is one reason I think get one built.

Whatever you think will be big enough it probably won’t.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have similar to that Waltons POS, it was free as my old man didn’t need it any more but will be replacing it when funds allow. Ventilation is an issue.

edhornby

depends on circumstances but I wouldn’t necessarily rely on the metal box to be the secure bit – a mate in chorlton had his metal shed repeatedly opened by toerags who knew that a bike was in it, and they broke the roof off a brick outhouse above the door to open that as well.. f3ckers

if it’s in your back garden then the access to the garden will be a big factor, as will the concrete and ground anchor that has the chain attached to it that goes through the bikes, and the shed alarm

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Of course, nothing’s secure but for me this replaced a wooden shed that was smashed to bits to nick 3 bikes, and is infinitely more secure than that. Think carefully about placement too, I actually ended up putting it out the front of the house rather than hiding out back, I’m on a relatively busy street so it would be near impossible for scrotes to spend time breaking without being seen by someone, regardless of time of day.

samuri
    Free Member

I had that you linked too Harry.
    3 Large bikes in it no problem plus bits and pieces.

The Police home security guy reckoned it was as good as anything he’d seen for stopping toerags. He pointed out that nothing will stop professionals though.
    “Don’t let them know you’ve got nice bikes” was his answer to that one.

So I rag all mine silly.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ventilation is an issue.

What are the asgard ones like for that? Get much condensation build up? Rusty bike bits?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I’m really interested in this – was thinking of getting one – so posting on the thread so I can find it later…

Does it get really hot in these? Any tubeless-explosive-jizzage inicidents?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

What are the asgard ones like for that? Get much condensation build up? Rusty bike bits?

As standard, not great. I’ve drilled several small holes to help and also stick one of these in http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005MZ1EJE/ref=pd_aw_sbs_kh_1?refRID=05RY6PRQBPSHEAEDP5AK

Have never had a problem since

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Those metal bike shed things…’ is closed to new replies.