Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Those cheap Vauxhall Zafira's
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

Mines a 1.8 petrol with 130k on the clock – known as the silver bullet! Not fast, not economical , bit of a liking for oil but pretty reasonable to fix, 7 seats and gets dogs and bikes in pretty easily

Heart wants a vw transporter next but head is saying get a new zafira and run for 5 years although tempted to go diesel

kevmac1962
    Free Member

I bit the bullet and bought a 1.6 Exclusiv for £10145 today and, I must say, so far (20 miles) it seems very good indeed. It wasn’t even a pre-reg, it’s registered as brand new. I decided that, as I wasn’t thinking of selling it on in 3 years then, for that price, it was a no-brainer for me. It’s got a years tax and a lifetime warranty, AA cover for a year, and I found a £250 money-off voucher on the Vauxhall website.
    Thanks for your help, chaps!

kevmac1962
    Free Member

I’ve only just realised that this is a members group for cycle owners, of which I am not one. No idea how this got so far up the google rankings for a search of “Vauxhall Zafira discount”, but I’m quite pleased it did!

retro83
    Free Member

kevmac1962 – Member

I’ve only just realised that this is a members group for cycle owners, of which I am not one. No idea how this got so far up the google rankings for a search of “Vauxhall Zafira discount”, but I’m quite pleased it did!

despite most members on here owning several bikes I suspect many don’t actually ride them so don’t worry about that! 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

kevmac1962, unfortunately having joined the forum you are now required to purchase a mountain bike to put in the back of the Zafira. 🙂

mmannerr

1st gen 2.2L models were quite fun to drive – for this class of vehicles anyway. 🙂
    Stupid to own though.

Kryton57

They are at it again. £9899 gets you a 1.6vvti or sum at with aircon AND – you’ll never guess – adjustable steering wheel.

I shouldn’t even be looking at them, it so beneath me…. 🙂

johnikgriff
    Free Member

If anyone is going to go for this, I have a voucher for £500 and something (I think its around 575 and I believe it comes off before vat is added so its worth more). I’m allowed to give it to a “friend”, I’m sure I could do a deal on it, especially as it has to be used by the end of March and I’ll it be buying a car by then.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Christ…I bet these are sh1t! I mean, it’s a Vauxhall FFS…I wouldn’t be seen dead in one 😯

Mind you, I have been thinking about chopping my saloon in (2 bikes at a push, but little or no luggage & what a what a ball-ache) for a better load lugger. Hmmm, under 10k you say…

Erm, where d’ya see that Kryton? 😛

Kryton57

My local dealer is advertising it in the Local rag. It gets a shit rating on Autoexpress but I’m wondering with an option of 7 seats but more appropriately a bike wagon type shape how bad could it be?

I’d be trading in the relative luxury yet impracticality of a no monthly payment so relatively very cheap 330i saloon though 🙁

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Yeah, mine’s an E46 330cd…lovely car but just not practical for the bikes.

‘course a 10k used car may be a better choice…still, worth a butchers.

Bristol St have the sub-10k offer on.

Honest John edit: the ‘good & bad’ section makes for interesting reading 😀

Kryton57

Crikey I think my decision would be much harder if my BMW was a diesel – I do a lot of motorway driving.

I can’t help wondering whether I’d be wasting 10g’s on a POS or perhaps I should wait a couple of years on get the late 320d tourer I really want 😀

Kryton57
    cp

Honest John edit: the ‘good & bad’ section makes for interesting reading

mainly the more recent diesel engines and associated guff. still a few randoms though like…. the horn doesn’t work when the headlights are on!!!!!

hora
    Free Member

Until something goes wrong

wrightyson
    Free Member

I haven’t read all that but the only thought in my mind would be, I hope you never have to overtake anything.

marcus7
    Free Member

Rarely do you “have to overtake anything” unless it is stationary in which case even the lowest powered of cars will achieve that quite easily. of course there maybe emergency situations that i’m not aware of…

DezB
    Free Member

I haven’t read all that but the only thought in my mind would be… what a great used car you could get for £10K…

kimbers

well in the market for a new MPV type thing and ummming and aahing over this offer

bit more than we planned to spend but getting a newish/low mileage Touran or even Berlingo isnt much cheaper

is the vauxhall warranty worth it?

teethgrinder

A little piece of my soul dies when I even see an mpv, so no idea what would happen if the current wife made me buy one.

Kryton57

DezB – Member
    I haven’t read all that but the only thought in my mind would be… what a great used car you could get for £10K…

Good point Dez, I would probably have to spend only 25% of that to get a loaded 320/330/520/530 diesel tourer good enough for M/Way use yet doubling as a weekend bike transporter*.

*My car is always the “second” family car, hence the cheapness.

Although I do yearn for an in-dash sat nav – fed up with trailing wires.

kimbers

Good point Dez, I would probably have to spend only 25% of that to get a loaded 320/330/520/530 diesel tourer good enough for M/Way use yet doubling as a weekend bike transporter*.

but at least 10 years old is that better or worse than a anew zafira

wrightyson
    Free Member

Rarely do you “have to overtake anything” unless it is stationary in which case even the lowest powered of cars will achieve that quite easily. of course there maybe emergency situations that i’m not aware of…

That’s a whole different thread for driving gods like me. But yes if you live/work in rural Derbyshire you will need to overtake something quite often that is bimbling along!

Back to topic I’d definitely go used with remaining warranty…

kevmac1962
    Free Member

I don’t work for Vauxhall (honest! I’ve never even owned a General Motors car before – oh, except a 1978 Chevrolet Caprice, does that count?) and I don’t have any particular metaphorical axe to grind, so I can only report that I bought one of these brand new 1.6 Zafiras (not a pre-reg) for £10,145, including a year’s car tax. I’ve had it a month and it’s great. Huge amount of space, comfortable, lovely stereo, quiet, well built, aircon, good warranty…..and apparently it has 7 seats too.

Staggeringly, I can also confirm that I have occasionally managed to overtake other vehicles – and not just a 2CV. It may surprise people to learn that this is not a fast car and that I will not be driving to Nürburgring to race it against a Ford C-Max or Seat Alhambra – I don’t know about you but there are speed cameras and speed humps around my way. I am also currently middle-aged and unlikely to be going in the opposite direction any time soon. So hopefully no speeding points for me.

I would guess that it gets bad reviews from some of the press because it is reviewed as an £18,500 car. Clearly you would have to be of unsound mind to pay that for it. Look out for a review based on a Zafira 1.6 costing about half that (come on Auto Express, you know you want to!).
    With regard to the warranty, it seems to cover most things and it lasts for as long as I own the car (or 100,000 miles. Or as long as Vauxhall can stay in business selling a Zafira for £10k). As an example of the warranty exclusions, they won’t cover the exhaust falling off on the M40 in the year 2023 which, frankly, seems reasonable.

I intend to keep it about 8 years and then get rid of it for hardly anything, so depreciation of about £1,000 per year which seems bloody cheap to me when compared to a second hand car with no warranty. I contend that, if my cunning plan comes to fruition, I will be a financial genius with no points on my license. Either that or I’ll have another mid-life crisis (the first one was brilliant! See 1978 Chevrolet Caprice for details) and buy a Ferrari. And a motorbike.

As an aside, I’m not sure why anyone would care in 2014 about the badge on the bonnet. I do remember when I was a small child becoming slightly aggravated when a Skoda drove past, but not for a good few years now. My next door neighbour, in fact, has two Skodas – honestly, I haven’t said a word.

As another aside, my Zafira smells fantastic. Really, it’s lovely. Good old Vauxhall, manufacturing a feast for all the senses (although it doesn’t taste good, so possibly not ALL of the senses).

cp

my local dealer is doing the 1.8 version for 9495. I’m scared, I’m tempted.

molgrips
    Free Member

I heard Aygos advertised on the radio yesterday for £8k. Compare to this for £9.5k!

tobsters
    Free Member

I bought one of the new 1.6 ones on offer about 6 weeks ago. Sure there are cars I’d prefer, but its perfect for what we need right now. I wont be doing track days in it, it carries loads of house reno waste to the tip, transports my family comfortably and safely, has a lifetime warranty, feels solid, rarely goes on the motorway, I won’t cry if the wife dings it etc.etc. If I was a single man, with no kids, doing lots of motorway miles, then I wouldn’t look at one, but given current circumstances its a complete no brainer at that price.

Also its my second VX over the past 6yrs, and I currently have no reason to worry about reliability; the 04 Astra didn’t miss a beat. Just my own real world tuppence worth having bought one, and owned VX’s, rather than what I’ve read in reviews.

hora
    Free Member

tobsters +1

If you want something abit special a used Audi A4 estate is hardly going to set the world alight dynamically. I read on STW today someone saying one goes round a corner well. Wow.

I’ve currently got a Xsara Picasso 1.6 and Jesus I’m struggling to fault it. Its dull as ditchwater but carries ALOT and doubles as a van very easily.

I am toying with the idea of a Honda S2000 or similar and KEEPING the MPV. Both together would come in waaaaay lower than a nearly Audi A4 dullwagon. Much better.

As I said earlier, I really don’t see the issue with Zafiras. If someone is that arrogant, well I guess you live in a house set in acres of land too.

Kryton57

Crikey he’s right, its the 120bhp 1.8 they are selling off.

Doesn’t look two bad either aand even has touch screen Nav according to the blurb!

http://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/new-car-deals/vauxhall/zafira/exclusiv/194420/vauxhall-zafira-1-8-exclusiv/

Nobby

Kryton57 – How bad can it be?

I had one as a courtesy car. After one day I took it back to the garage & swapped it for a Corsa.

There is a reason that these things are constantly being sold off cheap…..

PePPeR

I’d get one if I could afford one, we run our cars into the ground so being able to buy a car new and drive it for 11-12 years like we do would be ideal.

Sounds like a practical decent car, probably not the best but, I can’t see cars like a VW Touran being worth double this!

PePPeR

Molgrips, talking of stupidly priced Aygos, my daughter just spent £13k on one!

I was livid, it’s being superceded this year and there’s no way she should have paid that price!

prawny

Any updates on how these are turning out for the people that actually bought one? There’s still a few knocking about, I want a new car and these are the right sort of price. Looking at the diesel ones that are 12 grandish.

beinbhan

I bought one of the 1.6 zafiras in December, It replaced the one I had previously. There has been no problem with it. It does the job I bought it for. Chuck the bikes in the back and go it will sit at 70 to 80 on the motorway quite happily. I’m long past the boy racer stage its a tool for getting from a to b and for the price it was a no brainer.

kevmac1962
    Free Member

Hi prawny. See my previous post – I bought one (1.6 diesel) a few weeks ago and it’s just fab. It’s one of those things that’s advertised that looks too good to be true…..but it’s not, it’s just a great big load of car for the money.
    Kev

johndoh
    Free Member

They must have made a shitload of them or is no-one buying them still? I’m holding out for £6k…

rocketman
    Free Member

…is no-one buying them still?

the BIL bought one he can only buy cars that have been authorised by his mrs. For me its a horrifying vehicle to sit in, so far removed from what I think is a normal car I am just really really glad to get out of it. I cannot understand how anyone could possibly think hmmm yes thats a nice car I’ll buyone of those….

And relax

tobsters
    Free Member

Mine’s still fine, see earlier post. Needs a wash though. If anyone was that horrified to sit in then I’d be glad to let them walk, though not sure there is anyone that stuck-up in my friends group.

sbob
    Free Member

I read on STW today someone saying one goes round a corner well. Wow.

Whack the rear tyres up to 45psi, makes them much more fun. 😀

kimbers

got ours last week( but put the deposit down a while back,- govauxhall in wimbledon = sloooow)

1.8 (120) anyway drove up to Ae and back with 2 bikes and a load of kit this weekend, much easier to load unload than my mk1 focus

was fine to drive and got about 35mpg for the round trip, has enough oomph to overtake the sunday drivers and cruises fine on the motorway, seats were comfy

will make taking the family + bikes and kid trailer etc up to peebles for UKGE/ EWS tweedlove in May so much easier,

im sure the car snobs will hate me but i think its a bargain
    very happy

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Those cheap Vauxhall Zafira's’ is closed to new replies.