Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • those cheap new singlespeeds on ebay
  • MadBillMcMad

£160 to £200

anyone bought one ?

Are hey total tosh, or OK as a student bike for the son ?

eg this as a random example

nwmlarge
    Free Member

A couple of mates have the Nologo ones which look pretty similar.

They are ok, the bottom brackets wear fast but i presume that’s normal for a bike that never stops pedalling.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the bottom brackets wear fast but i presume that’s normal for a bike that never stops pedalling. is a total shonkfest.

FTFY.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

the bottom brackets wear fast but i presume that’s normal for a bike that never stops pedalling. is a total shonkfest is built to such a tight budget….but at least it gets people cycling which is the main thing.

FTFY.

edhornby

Mango do ss at this price point, for a little bit more you get a warranty and better bits

nach
    Free Member

They’re all made around cheap frames and bits from the East. Companies doing them seem to come and go.

I bought one in London from a now defunct company named Moritz, and it’s been fine. They’re not complicated bikes. I went through one chain and replaced a lot of the kit on it with nicer bits. Selling it soon because it isn’t suited to Yorkshire.

Some of the components on that ebay listing are identical to the one I got when it was new, just with different brands on them. It’s not amazingly confidence inspiring when the bars have something like “TIANYOU. Established 2012” on them, but nothing ever broke catastrophically.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I used to have the drop bar version of this Viking Citifix

It was a bit heavy, but functionally perfectly fine. The nuts, bolts and steel parts (brake caliper springs etc) actually stayed shiny and non-rusty for a lot longer than the Trek singlespeed that I replaced it with which cost 3 times as much and went rusty almost at the first sign of rain.

jekkyl

They don’t look bad for the money. How do you switch between fixed and freehub?

mrsfry
    Free Member

That viking seat post is back to front aint it?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It is, and the box was fairly battered when I got mine but don’t let that ut you off. As something simple and serviceable, it was fine.

MadBillMcMad

@jekkyl,

you with have a rear wheel with a flip flop. IE you take the wheel out & swap it around. One side being fixed, one being free – or you get another wheel.

Thanks all, think for the money it’ll make him a good student bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looked at these for my SiL when she was going to uni, but we thought she’d be better served with a nicer quality secondhand MTB or hybrid (though she ended up with neither).

eshershore
    Free Member

We often see customers with ‘no logo’ (same bikes sold under different names) single speeds having reoccurring punctures from the poorly finished deep section “aero” rims.

Sharp metal edges on the rim interior, often on the beadlock where the rim strip doesn’t reach. Very hard to sort out even with filing/grit paper. Often needs new wheels which is not cost effective for a £150 bike

nach
    Free Member

Wheels on mine were okay, but the rim strip was shit and the tube herniated into a spoke hole. Replaced with schwalbe high pressure tape and no punctures since.

antigee

noticed a review of a Reid bike over on road-cc (not an SS though)

Reid SS’s are very common around Melbourne – if any one asks me about buying a commuter bike on a budget I recommend a visit to Reid’s shop
    (not on the pay roll)

a little bit more than an ebay special but not a lot

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Reid-Griffon-2016-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_90802.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘those cheap new singlespeeds on ebay’ is closed to new replies.