Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • those carbon wheelsets on ebay…
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

Well I seen a fat punter heaving along a road with a full carbon deep section wheelset, stomach/moobs bulging everywhere I do think wtf!
    But at least he’s getting out I suppose, just annoyed he has better gear than me.

I do like the idea of doing well on inferior gear though!

traildog
    Free Member

‘Nice’ wheels means what though? Something that looks the part – then, yes I think if you’re bothered by the looks.

For general riding around I’d say tutleheading is more or less right. When general riding out on your own you don’t get the same speeds up – you are battling cross winds, and you get many miles in on rough roads. Something that lasts well, serviceable, brakes well, comfortable is better and therefore ‘nice’ IMHO.

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of reynolds 46mm clinchers on my cervelo S2. They are quick, light enough at just over 1500gms, and I’ve raced on them in the wet with no real problems.

Mainly though, they look great, and an aero frame with standard wheels looks wrong 😳

I’d have a set of the chinese ones for sure.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

good thread, some interesting points.

faz083
    Free Member

Quick update, I’ve ordered the following which will hopefully be with me soon. Lots of other new shiny roadie goodies too so I’ll post an update or follow up thread with a small review when they come.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271173826082

Rather excited!

IanW
    Free Member

Don’t these deep rims get blown about a lot from side winds?

IanW
    Free Member

Don’t these deep rims get blown about a lot from side winds?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, can do. Side lanes and farm gates were the worst – you get a sudden blast of crosswind! Manageable though.

faz083
    Free Member

Only 38.. should be ok! Also managed to remember to order some 60mm inner tubes… would have been annoyed if I had gone to fit tyres and found I couldn’t find the valve!! haha

faz083
    Free Member

Right well I did some tracking today after recieving the saddle I ordered at the same time (different seller) arrived. Unfortunately the parcel arrived yesterday but was stopped by customs and there was a charge to pay. I decided to drive to pick them up from Gatwick and paid the charge (£29 for anyone interested.)

Got them home and unwrapped, first impressions are these are really nice. Hub bearings have no play, very true, and actually pretty good quality on the whole. Tyres went on easily (ultremo ZX – new), and got a new cassette (free of charge as CRC decided to lose the packaging but sent it anyway… I don’t really mind, it’s still new!). And new chain, obviously.

I took some pictures so here goes, and I’ll be riding tomorrow after work and will let you know how I get on. I’m very excited though. They feel so light, didn’t weigh them (silly!) but the tubes are 60g, tyres 180, and wheels are about 1400, so about 2kg for the whole wheelset with cassette, by my very rough reckoning. Which is good.

Anyway, pictures.

please avoid any comments on decor… I have my priorities right…
    Will look so much better when I get the ultegra cranks. Those cranks look naff.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice. What finish are those?

faz083
    Free Member

thanks. they’re the 3k matte . Glossy looked tacky and the fully matte doesn’t show off the carbon 😉

If anyone is interested, they’re these exact ones:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271173826082?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

the seller is excellent, they were very well packaged, fully tracked (EMS worldwide, then parcelforce 24 in the UK), and when I sent them a question they replied very quickly.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘those carbon wheelsets on ebay…’ is closed to new replies.