Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Those bits that grip your saddle rails not lining up – will I die?
  • easily
    Free Member

I don’t know what to call them, the things that hold saddle rails that you tighten up – see the pic.

I just swapped saddles. As you can see the middle sections are not lined up with each other. It feels solid and comfortable, but looks wrong. Is this going to cause me any problems?

Edit: as I pressed ‘submit’ it occurred to me that if I turn the top section 180 degrees it might line up. Is the problem as simple as that?

AdamT

As per your edit, could be either the top of bottom bit is the wrong way round

plus-one

Carry on nothing to see here 😎

jonnyboi

Post a pic when you have swapped it round, that is playing havoc with my OCD

thols2
    Free Member

It’ll be fine as it is. The biggest loads on the saddle are generally with your weight on the back, levering the front upwards. The lower clamp will be loaded at the rear, the top clamp loaded at the front. The clamps don’t have to line up perfectly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Quite often, you’ll find an arrow or some sort of indicator marking on the two halves of the cradle

Bazz

I don’t think any of mine line up once a saddle has been inserted between them, and i have tried rotating all the separate pieces as it plays on my OCD as well, I’ve learnt to just live with it and nothing terrible has ever happened.

Onzadog
    Free Member

and nothing terrible has ever happened

So far…

thelawman
    Free Member

I’m not convinced the jaunty angle of those two bolts is entirely a good thing, tbh. Would expect them both to be more or less parallel to each other, and closer to vertical generally. Maybe I’ve just not used that particular clamp?

easily
    Free Member

@Onzadog is correct: there is a little arrow on the top clamp, and it was pointing backwards and is now pointing forward. The lower clamp is symmetrical.

OCD people be warned, it now looks pretty much the same – worse if anything:

Oddly it does feel a bit more ‘right’, although that might just be my imagination. I think I may have managed to move the saddle a couple of mil forward, which was what I wanted.

I agree with @thelawman that the bolts seem to be weirdly angled, but it seems to be how they fit. Is @Jameso still around? This is a 2019 Arkose 3 – is this what you’d expect it to look like Jameso?

greyspoke
    Free Member

You appear to have it at extreme nose down (offset seat tube?). If you have it all greased, the bolts and top thing will find their angles and positions. Looking at the design there, the bottom thing will slide rearward to get the nose down adjustment.

easily
    Free Member

🙂 that wasn’t a final position, I just took the pic there to show the state of the seat post clamps. The nose is on the left of the pic and is actually pointing up.

I have now levelled it up. I have also moved the saddle back a bit in the clamps as it was alarmingly past the safety marks. The clamps and bolts are still misaligned, and the bolts are still pointing all over the place. I’m beginning to think it’s just an odd design as everything seems secure.

The reason I was messing around with saddles in the first place is that recently it has felt like the saddle is too far back and I was always sitting on the nose (I’ve tried lowering the saddle). Is it possible the stem is too long and that’s making me stretch forward?

… I might start a new thread for that, as I assume everyone’s interest in the original topic is waning. Cheers for suggestions everyone.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

Metal Shaping for Beginners: Refini...
Singletrack Video Archive: Metal Shaping for Beginners: Refining the shape of the fender