Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Those adverts over there (the one that blocks the "back" button)—>
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

One of those adverts is an annoying one that stops the “back” button working on the browser, by appearing as a complete page in the history. Rubbish.

sort it out mods.

rocketman
    Free Member

+1

CountZero

‘Bye, Stoner. 😈

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Fair enough gettign rid of the ads if you pay extra for premier account, but having adverts with cookies that prevent use of the back button is gash.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ Witch!

prezet
    Free Member

Have you also noticed sometimes the pages hang while loading – the status bar just indicates it’s waiting for an ad to load. I end up having to refresh twice on most pages to get them to load.

Drac

I’ll highlight this thread to the IT bods, I spotted it by chance if you want highlight a problem it’s easier to email us.

moderator@

Mean time those that see his issue can you give us your OS version and Browser name and version.

soobalias
    Free Member

thoroughly unimpressed

*deletes cookies, returns to work, complains again to the people that agree IT contracts that IE6 just isnt up to it*

Mark

Has anyone seen which ad it is? If you could give me more details so I can identify it I can trace it and block it from the ad networks that deliver to our site.

I killed one yesterday that was trying to make out you had won an iPhone using one of those awful jiggly boxes disguised as a Windows system message.

If you see dodgy ads then please feel free to contact me directly mark@…. and I’ll go and hunt the buggers down.

Apologies if you are experiencing issues. We take ads seriously. they need to be there but we are committed to making sure that all that we allow to display are at least benign if not useful.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Hi Mark – it was the jiggly iphone winner thing. Seems to have gone now. cheers.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Ive noticed the top ad in the right hand column, above ‘don’t miss’ often overlaps the pop up text showing the last poster if I hover the mouse over the last post time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyone had the Bravissimo/MYA/Pepperberry ads today yet? 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Open threads in a new tab. Close the tab when you’re done. No need to use the back button.

I would of course suggest the same as whatever Stoner presumably did, but I’ve been told off for that before, and anyway nowadays I have a nice P.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope but I never clicked on them anyway.

I’m seeing Co-Op “home insurance”
    A Dog that needs to write a book
    STW/Road CC
    Keep Peddling
    Cheap Flights.

And a “network access denied” (which I’m rather glad out IT dept has blocked.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I get this problem (IE6), no idea what add it is/was

Stoner
    Free Member

I never even suggested anything 🙁
    It’s positively Orwellian in here…

johnners
    Free Member

I killed one yesterday that was trying to make out you had won an iPhone using one of those awful jiggly boxes disguised as a Windows system message.

I’m seeing one of those right now, so some more killing required!

Cougar

We take ads seriously. they need to be there but we are committed to making sure that all that we allow to display are at least benign if not useful.

Can you not restrict adverts so that they can only serve .jpgs or something? I fail to see why there’s a need for animated interactive whizzy crap all over the place, making the forum look like a Geocities site and asking for Flash and XSS exploits.

Mark

Sorry Cougar, but simply no. we can’t restrict to static images, much as we’d like that, as the ads come from some huge agencies and if we start dictating restrictive terms and conditions they simply don’t bother with us and we lose thousands in ad revenue.

Without the ads on the site, in their current formats, we’d lose enough revenue to account for 30% of our entire business turnover for a year. Our margins are tight enough that this would mean we’d need to cut 30% of our staffing or in other words make 4 people redundant.

£2/month (£1.25 if you opt for the £15/year option) is surely not a great ask. With transaction fees and VAT on those prices we really can’t make it any cheaper and at least make something.

Is your use of our site worth a quarter the cost of an inner tube a month? (half a pint of northern beer) For that you get to switch off the ads.

Stoner
    Free Member

For that you get to switch off the ads. with Mark’s permission.

FTFY 😉

Cougar

Thanks for the info, Mark, that’s helpful.

we can’t restrict to static images

How about just restricting Flash then? It’s a massive security hole (and a dying technology), and you can still serve animated ads in the form of .GIFs or HTML5 videos so it shouldn’t impact functionality.

Is your use of our site worth a quarter the cost of an inner tube a month?

We already have a subscription here, it’s just in my partner’s name so she gets the [P]remiere benefits instead of me. Much as I love Singletrack magazine, I’m not buying two subscriptions just to avoid hostile adverts!

OTOH, if you had a ‘donate to the forum’ option, say a Paypal button or something, I’d happily shove a couple of quid in it occasionally.

wwaswas

Maybe a ‘family’ membership so everyone in a household can have a ‘P’ without forking out for multiple full subscriptions?

phil.w
    Free Member

How about just restricting Flash then? It’s a massive security hole (and a dying technology)

If it’s dying then there is no need to restrict it.

Oh, and stop being so melodramatic.

Mark

The ‘family’ membership idea I like. I shall consult with the IT crowd.

🙂

wwaswas

I shall expect a mug in the post 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

Depends if STW gets revenue from click-through, or just page displays?

Mark

TJ, by an incredible margin, the most clicked on ads are the ones most complained about. No really!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Never underestimate the intelligence of your audience I guess. I find that amazing. Me being awkward and contrary again?

Mark

Most of the ads are on a fixed CPM rate (Cost per thousand impressions). This is the standard model.

The ads from agencies like Google Adsense are a bit more complicated than that. The CPM paid depends on many more factors from demographic of the site to the number of clicks.

wwaswas

We all remember Cillit Bang because of the TV ads TJ – they were hardly subtle…

Mark

Go Compare?

Mark

Cougar

We already have a subscription here, it’s just in my partner’s name so she gets the [P]remiere benefits instead of me. Much as I love Singletrack magazine, I’m not buying two subscriptions just to avoid hostile adverts

Fixed for you 🙂

wwaswas

Ooooh, Cougar has a ‘P’ all of his own to play with. 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

I put the TV on mute when adverts come on, and go into the kitchen to make a cuppa. Might as well do something productive with my time.

Cougar

Fixed for you

Aw bless, thank you (-:

Cougar

Oh, and stop being so melodramatic.

Bit of light reading for you.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/trojan-on-stw

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Since updating to Flash 11.1 plugin thingy, Flash regularly crashes (Mac, happenz in Safari, Chrome and Firefox). And it’s something on this site in particular that seems to make it crash. So, something buggy in some of the ads? It’s a Flash problem, but cos it keeps crashing, I have to turn the ads off to view the site properly, which is I’m sure not what you want.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s a Flash problem, but cos it keeps crashing, I have to turn the ads off to view the site properly, which is I’m sure not what you want.

Since we’re discussing such things, you know you can just turn Flash off? Has the advantage of only filtering out the annoying ads, so you can still click on the non-annoying jpg ones – your own version of selecting which ads work.

I still run a Flash filter despite having a P, which makes my multi-tab browsing experience so much better (other sites also result in Flash overload – it’s just that here is/was the worst).

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Those adverts over there (the one that blocks the "back" button)—>’ is closed to new replies.