• This topic has 36 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Those ads (again!)
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

So knowing how clever online advertisers are getting at targetting ads on sites like this with their fancy algorithms, should I be upset that I’m being bombarded with ads for singles dating and weight loss?!?

(funny thing is I’m neither overweight or single – so pftt! to your algorithms – tho’ I do like looking at good looking women, and weirdly and quite worryingly – well ripped men 😳 )

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’d worry. It’s probably what your missus has been googling.

🙂

cookeaa

It’s probably because words like “Single”(track) and “bike”, “cycle”, “Cycling”, “MTB”, “Training”, etc pop up a lot on the pages you are browsing.

I don’t think the targeted ads are as smart as people think, they just pick up on the most frequently occuring keywords in your browsing history. Put’s 2 & 2 together and come up with: “Tubby, Singleton, who likes bicycles”

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    perthmtb
    Free Member

“Tubby, Singleton, who likes bicycles”

So, what you’re saying is they’re pretty accurate for 90% of the people on STW…

plyphon
    Free Member

Don’t forget its Valentines around the corner also.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I keep getting the “Talk To Frank” drug counselling service ads. I would prefer dating sites I think.

cookeaa

So, what you’re saying is they’re pretty accurate for 90% of the people on STW…

Yep 😆

Mark

Not all the ads are targeted on browsing history.
    Some are targeted to the demographic of the website itself.

Looking at the ‘dating’ category on our Google Adsense report I should probably say that we’ll block them when you stop clicking them 🙂

mrelectric

Of course these ads do help support these forum web sites….we’re not paying much for them ourselves!

Cougar

But this one that popped up just a minute ago has got me really worried

Is that some sort of quiz? “Hm, 1958, next…”

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

When viewing STW at work it keeps freezing and I get a warning asking me if I want to stop running a script…slows things up in a big way.

What else am i going to do all day if I can’t get on STW?

IE7 btw.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Papa_Lazarou – If you can send me a screenshot I’ll look into that for you.
    If you are you able to, I’l recommend you install/upgrade to a modern browser.

As a pragmatic quick fix you could get a digital sub and turn off the ads.

JAG

Oh don’t tell my wife these things are triggered by your browsing history – I’ll be divorced and looking for ‘Dads-net’ advice before you can say “howsyourfather” 😛

perthmtb
    Free Member

Not all the ads are targeted on browsing history.
    Some are targeted to the demographic of the website itself.

Breathes sigh of relief! So I don’t have to worry that Mrs Perth has secretly been organising threesomes with mature ladies and gym hunks afterall…

It’s just that the average STWer (ahem, not me of course) is slightly pervy that I’m getting all those ads…

Looking at the ‘dating’ category on our Google Adsense report I should probably say that we’ll block them when you stop clicking them

Right you sick lot (you know who you are!), stop clicking on those dating ads so that the rest of us don’t have to endure them any longer! Of course, don’t mind if you keep clicking on the T-shirt ones – I quite enjoy those 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

I get Garmin, which if targeted on browsing history is about right (for once) I have been looking for both OS related maps and tracking equipment..

I don’t get the dating sites stuff, I once get a flurry of Fitness Singles, but a lot of cycling sites get that..

I don’t seem to get the naughty Girl in stockings one anymore, I kinda liked that one.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

We’ve said a fond farewell to loveagain.com. We’ve had some good times but now it’s time to go our separate ways.

Drac

Mam?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Wow, thanks guys! That’s service for you…

So it’s safe to surf again without risk of awakening my Oedipus complex!

Actually feel slightly guilty for making such a fuss and you losing revenue over it 😳 … but I’m sure that feeling wont last for too long 😀

zokes
    Free Member

Looking at the ‘dating’ category on our Google Adsense report I should probably say that we’ll block them when you stop clicking them

How about blocking them because of this?

No posts of a sexual nature, including images of a sexual nature or intended to provoke a sexual response.

wwaswas

zokes – if you feel the above images fall in that category then report them to a moderator?

Drac

You do realise Mark was joking, yes the Edinburgh defence, hence why they’ve been dealt with.

zokes
    Free Member

Sorry – should really refresh a page I must have opened earlier and never got round to reading 😳

Though devil’s advocate on: isn’t any singles advert

intended to provoke a sexual response

Drac

A twitch.

zokes
    Free Member

Bit like Friday Kylie then?

Drac

It usually ends up getting closed or deleted for that, yes.

zokes
    Free Member

So any ads doing likewise will presumably be subject to the same fate?

Drac

If they’re reported as remember we don’t all see ads or the same ones.

zokes
    Free Member

Well, that fitness singles lass is holding her water bottle very suggestively, and I’m pretty sure they’re not cycling shorts. 😉

Perhaps she’s just a model posing in the hope of titilating some forumites?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Snorg tees (“My mother had me tested…”) and the “Fitness Singles” one.
    Lucky lucky bike stem. Ooooh. 😯 😀

tony_m
    Free Member

Sometimes I really wish I could see these ads instead of just freeloading, but I’m quite happy with my proper paper subscription… 😉

Mark

You realise that Premier access comes with the print subscription too?

rickmeister

Snorg T’s ads…

Dreamy…..

allthepies
    Free Member

Fitness singles ad, attractive girl in tight top, short-shorts with midriff showing. Bet that generates lots of click hits for STW.

<clicks>

tony_m
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy
    You realise that Premier access comes with the print subscription too?

Aye, happen I’ll get round to doing something about it one day.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey, Myleene’s latest collection in that Littlewoods advert 😯

zokes
    Free Member

If they’re reported as remember we don’t all see ads or the same ones.

From the above, it seems there are quite a few adverts that are provoking a sexual response. Might it make sense to have a ‘report ad’ button below each one then we can help you make sure none of your adverts breach your forum rules.

We wouldn’t want double standards would we – I mean it’s a family site. What if children start clicking on some of those adverts, or ask Daddy loudly why the webpage he’s on has lots of naughty ladies on it.

Mark

Give it a rest Zokes.
    If we had a report this ad button you’d wear it out just to try and annoy us

Your faux outrage doesn’t quite disguise your enthusiasm to upset the establishment.

I’ve personally added over 50 ad campaigns to our blocked list and as each week passes I add more.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Those ads (again!)’ is closed to new replies.