Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Thorasic spine issues – anyone got any tips?
  • legend
    Free Member

about 8 years ago now I properly buggered my left scapula (broken in several places and dislocated it) which has led to ever increasing problems with my back, and a worrying increasing number of days missed riding 🙁

I know that this is the unpopular form of back injury (relative to lumbar) but was wondering if anyone here had any good exercises or tips for sorting it out?

I’ve been trying to self-refer to NHS physio but so far the service (and I’m an NHS fan) has done nothing but boil my p*ss 😡

Any help would be very appreciated!

althepal

Pulled the muscles either side of my thoracic- was a pita- especially for work!
    Managed to get private physio through work- ultrasound, tens, and a shitload of stretches and slow twist exercises..
    It’s still sore every now and again but a hell of a lot better..
    You don’t work in the Nhs do you? Think they can be fast tracked for referral..??

Kip

Chiropractor – costs loads and you need to be prepared for it to take a while to sort, but a good one will re-align then keep adjusting until your body stays in the position it should be in and not the one it has been in. Once that’s done it’s usually then a case of a check up every couple of months or so for the rest of your life. Or they’re like mine, you call them when it all feels a bit wrong and they re-adjust you.

This sounds costly – it is, but it really can make the difference between a lifetime of pain or waking up one day to realise it doesn’t hurt and you’re not sure how long it’s been like that.

legend
    Free Member

althepal, not an NHS employee so no such luck there. Figured stretches would be the way, got any good ones?

Kip, not sure if the chiropractor is the way to go for a known muscle and ligament/tendon issue?

mulv1976
    Free Member

A decent chiropractor wouldnt just work on restoring the thoracic spine and scapulothoracic function, they will also do all the stuff a private physio would do ie soft tissue techniques and giving shoulder rehab stretches and strengthening. And no it’s not that expensive, just as much as any other manual therapist nowadays.

Edit: An eight year problem is going to need more than stretches alone. Go and see someone who can diagnose it properly

glupton1976
    Free Member

For a whole host of reasons – please lord – give me strength.

Kip

mulv1976 makes a good point on cost and treatment, it just turns out expensive against NHS care.

I love my chiropractor and will be making an appointment to see them fairly soon as I can’t lie properly on one side. Been seeing one on and off for maybe 10 years and they have sorted a number of issues relating to broken collarbone, past car crash, pregnancy, muscle imbalances/lack of stretching. Had all sorts of treatment from adjustments to massage to acupuncture depending on what was wrong. Can’t speak highly enough for them. They keep me moving and pain free!

scaredypants

Tag Team on Glupton ! 😆

legend
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member
    For a whole host of reasons – please lord – give me strength.

Care to expand on that?

mulv1976
    Free Member

For a whole host of reasons – please lord – give me strength

Maybe you need to see a chiropractor too?

mulv1976
    Free Member

Care to expand on that?

It’s just the usual chiropractor vs medical/nhs/physio BS

Kip

Had issues sorted well by both nhs physios and chiropractors. Also had less than great treatment from both at times. Generally though I’ve been happy with the treatment I’ve had from the people I’ve dealt with, they’ve sorted the issues using their area of expertise. If it works, it works.

legend
    Free Member

that’s fine then, I’ll be honest right away and say that I’ve got no interest in visitiing a chiropractor unless a physio/doctor recommends it

mulv1976
    Free Member

It’s your choice at the end of the day – just giving our advice (as requested 🙂 )

glupton1976
    Free Member

ThoraCic…
    8 year history,
    Self referral to physio with an 8yr history and wondering why they have triaged you to the bottom of the pile,
    And NHS employees getting fast tracked – we dont get fast tracked we have our own physios. 😀

mulv1976 – behave yourself. 😀

mulv1976
    Free Member

mulv1976 – behave yourself.

😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

And that’s nothing like all of the muscles.

legend
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member
    ThoraCic…
    8 year history,
    Self referral to physio with an 8yr history and wondering why they have triaged you to the bottom of the pile,

nice try at filling in the blanks but you missed by a mile.

Injury was eight years ago. Fixed and no issues for around 6 years. A couple of fairly painful episodes later I have chat with my doctor, who hands me a self-referral leaflet whilst showing no interest whatsoever.

The last couple of months have been pretty bad so tried to get in touch with the physio. The first line gives me a minute long speech about Occupational Health before saying that the service isn’t available and to try another hospital! Next hospital line rings 3 times, tells me the opening hours, then tells me that they aren’t always beside the phone to answer it and to come to a drop in (where you may have to wait up to 2 hours and not be seen). WTF is the the point in a phone in service with no one to answer the phone!?!

Triaged to the bottom of the pile would be a vast improvement!

glupton1976
    Free Member

I wasnt trying to fill in any blanks.

legend
    Free Member

You sure?

wondering why they have triaged you to the bottom of the pile,

glupton1976
    Free Member

Absolutely positive. Knowing how the self referral system works, I have no doubts as to what has happened.

I’m sensing anger in your posts so I’ll not make any further comments other than to wish you a successful resolution to your problem.

althepal

Legend.. I wouldn’t recommend doing anything until someone qualified says so. Wouldn’t want to risk making things worse..
    Like I said initially- I had a whole host of things done- including some manipulation type things.. Oh aye, and fwiw my physio was talking about referral to a chiropractor at one point..
    Glupton, I can understand why the op didn’t like the tone of your posts. My trust has fast track referrals but to private physios, probably due to the amount of sick time we have due to bad backs, and the fact that the Nhs ones are busy!
    OP, speak to your GP and see if they can refer you- might be quicker than self referral maybes?

IanW
    Free Member

Had something wrong for about a year, last 4 months its been very bad. Pins and needles down my arms, neck locks up in the cold etc.
    Had an xray, all ok. Told to self refer by gp but also given Naposyn (guess at the name) which are my new wonder drug. Pain fee for the first time in 12 months.
    Sometimes the drugs do work.

mulv1976
    Free Member

That’ll be a strong non steroidal anti inflammatory (NSAID). Not something you want to be taking long term really. And yes it might address the pain but it won’t address what’s causing it in the first place, especially something that’s been going on for a year.

roady_tony
    Free Member

prolotherapy, check out the wharfedale clinic in leeds, sorted me out with about 8 injections over 8 weeks. never had an issue again.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Thorasic spine issues – anyone got any tips?’ is closed to new replies.