Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Thomson x4 bolts
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a bolt upgrade that uses a large Allen key size?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the current size, should avoid over tightening (owner of that stem, fly a lot an have to remove the bars a lot still on the existing bolts)

Paceman
    Free Member

The bolt heads are designed that small on a Thomson X4 to prevent over-tightening which might compromise the strength of the stem.

mcj78
    Free Member

I’ve thought about it too haviong both undertightened & also snapped one due to overtightening… the 3mm ones that came with my last X2 are worse, an allen key almost snaps before you get anywhere near tight enough, got a shot of a mate’s torque wrench that uses bits instead & it’s never moved since. Unless you really want new bolts i’d get hold of a torque wrench & do it that way as the flex in a small allen key makes it feel like you’re overtightening.

If you do really want new shiny bolts, these’ll do shiny

mikewsmith
    Free Member

an allen key almost snaps before you get anywhere near tight enough, got a shot of a mate’s torque wrench that uses bits instead & it’s never moved since.

Sounds like a cheap crap Allen key?

mcj78
    Free Member

Well, maybe near snappage was a slight exaggeration but the park one I have flexes enough below 5nm that it’s pretty difficult to gauge how tight the bolt is – when I tried a mini torque wrench with a 3mm bit I was surprised how much tighter it should have been, and explained why my bars used to creep forward over a few days commuting leaving me stem-gazing Alla Froome 😆

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Thomson x4 bolts’ is closed to new replies.