Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thomson Stem/Carbon Haven bars – torque ?
  • iainc

I have a bit of a creak going on which is worse when I twist the bars vrtically, so suspect stem/bar or stem/steerer. Can anyone remind me of the torque setting for the stem bolts ? I think its 5NM ? Also, is it worth putting carbon paste on the bars where they are clamped by stem, or just run clean and dry ?

Thanks

Don’t possess a torque wrench, but am familiar with using one – 5nm isn’t that tight – tighten another half turn and see if it goes away. Half a turn won’t kill owt and surely you’ll get a feel as to whether or not it feels tight enough?

iainc

aye, could try that, cheers. WIll also grease the bolts etc. Any thoughts re carbon paste on the bars ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Doesn’t it say the nM rating on the stem?

If it is 5nM, and you have not got a torque wrench, something like this might be quite handy:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-torque-key-with-interchangeable-bits/

themoodster
    Free Member

Sure you’ve got a Thomson stem? The torque is written on the front of the clamp, mine says 4nm. Yes to carbon paste, Easton recommend it’s use with their bars.

iainc

The torque is written on the front of the clamp, mine says 4nm

so it does 😳 I never even saw that. Okay, thanks, will refit with paste, cheers

iainc

right, bars off, carbon paste on stem clamp, reassembled and torqued to 4NM, also dropped headset, regreased all internal surfaces (Cane Creek 40 tapered), stem back on (top of steered degreased first) and torqued back at 4NM. . Rode it up and down the road and ‘seems’ to be cured. Only a proper ride will tell but can’t do that till end of week.

Thanks

iainc

Update after a decent ride – no creaking at all 🙂

Good stuff that carbon paste, innit !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Thomson Stem/Carbon Haven bars – torque ?’ is closed to new replies.