Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Thomson Elite Seatpost – Can I cut it?
  • Premier Icon bentandbroken

I bought the long one second hand after a cheapy failed on me, but it’s about 3″ too long and won’t go far enough in to the frame (on one inbred) :-/

Obviously I need to leave enough inside the frame to keep it safe, but If I make sure the length of the post in the frame is greater than the MAX amount marked on the post that should be fine I guess?

I also understand the issues with trying to cut a tube without distorting it, but that’s a challenge I am prepared to take…..

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

No issues, just use a nice new fine hacksaw blade and a file to finish it off

Premier Icon gravity-slave
    Free Member

Can I cut it?

Yes you can!

Premier Icon thegreatape

You can?

Premier Icon b r
    Free Member

I’ve always found the a pipe cutter does a decent job, and comes with a deburrer.

Premier Icon andyl
    Free Member

just feed it into the hole in the top of your blender until it’s about the right length 😀

on a more serious note, the main issue is clamping it if using a hacksaw – ie be very careful and I would rest it on the just open jaws of a black and decker workmate rather than clamping it. Or use a pipe cutter, adjusting a tiny amount each time.

Also remember you min insertion mark is now X higher with X being the amount you chopped off.

Premier Icon bentandbroken

Pipecutter! Why didn’t I think of that? Heads to garage….

Premier Icon gravity-slave
    Free Member

Pipe cutter will deform the tube, finish the outside edge with a file.

Premier Icon Gary_M
    Free Member

can I cut it?
    Yes you can!

That was my first thought too 🙂

Premier Icon oldtalent
    Free Member

I just hacked through mine with a jigsaw whilst holding it. Looked a right mess but you never see the bottom bit anyway.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Thomson Elite Seatpost – Can I cut it?’ is closed to new replies.