Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Thomson Dropper post piccy
  • chiefgrooveguru

Disc brakes require high force, low displacement actuation – ideal for unservo’d hydraulics. Dropper posts don’t – cables work great even if they don’t feel as slick. Furthermore brake feel has a huge bearing on how well you can use the brakes – a dropper post is up, or it’s down. Likewise gears are shifted, or they’re not. Feel may be nice in the shop but it’s irrelevant on the trail for gears or dropper posts.

Northwind

Well played! But, hydro brakes have significant advantages to offset the downsides.

(tbh if there was a cable brake that could directly compete with my The Ones I wouldn’t rule it out…)

andyl
    Free Member

Increasing complexity in forks and brakes is normally beneficial.

A dropper post just has to go up and down and do so reliably. I am a fan of keeping it simple which can either be a simple design or using well proven technology from someone who knows what they are doing.

fathomer

No 27.2mm unfortunately means I’m out at the minute. I’m surprised they’ve not gone for fixed cable like the Lev, it does look nice though.

brakes
    Free Member

actually, when I think about it, the lockout on my forks is cable actuated. maybe the desire for hydraulics is not a functional one but an aesthetic one and the general perception that hydraulic is superior to mechanical as a solution.

toys19
    Free Member

I have no problem with the cable actuation, its just the crap routing that spoils it..

captaindanger

They need to make it in silver!

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Thomson Dropper post piccy’ is closed to new replies.