Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • Thomas Cook likely to go pop. Plans being made to repatriate over 100,000 people
  • Poopscoop

Been done?

Just saw it on the news.

If they do go pop it will be the largest emergency repatriation effort since WW11 apparently.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Shit, we are due to go out to Tenerife with them in October school hols. The kids won’t be happy if we don’t get to go.

burt
    Free Member

They need An extra £200m to stay afloat or its going to cost the civil aviation authority £600m to get everyone home.
    Funny old world 🙄

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Waiting for the photoshopped “Let’s leave the EU and save Thomas Cook instead.”

Silly jokes aside, hope this doesn’t wreck anyone’s holiday plans

bikebouy
    Free Member

Interesting, I wonder how their business model has altered since… y’kno 😵

Poopscoop

aberdeenlune

Shit, we are due to go out to Tenerife with them in October school hols. The kids won’t be happy if we don’t get to go.

Genuinely feel for you mate and hopefully they sort this out. It’s like the 1970s again where this sort of stuff happened a lot apparently?

Mr lad went away with them only a few weeks back with his girlfriend. I was a bit worried about that but luckily the company has survived this far.

Fingers crossed for you guys too.👍

bodgy
    Free Member

Oh dear. Who would have thought a survey of public opinion would have resulted in holiday flights to and from Majorca being cancelled, eh? Oh well; “price worth paying”, “sovereignty”, “voice of the people”?

Blue passports don’t mean a thing when they haven’t been internationally ratified. Lofl.

phil5556

I booked flights to Egypt with them last week to go in November. 🤞🤞🤞

Poopscoop

Just found the actual article on the Beeb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49761464

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Other travel companies/airlines are also in difficulty.

Uh Oh: XL Airways Stops Selling Tickets

See also Cathay Pacific cutting loads of flights.

Tough time for the industry.

chunkly

Travelling with TC and just waiting to board a flight to Naples for a week away. Possibility it could be more than a week…

oreetmon
    Free Member

Halfway through our hol with TK in almeria.

Our first family holiday since mini mon arrived could be more memorable than we thought.

Everything’s going to be just fine………

Poopscoop

Fingers crossed for you guys going abroad or already abroad.

Hopefully, even if things go south it won’t be for weeks rather than days.

tthew

Now the cat is out of the bag, it seems collapse is even more likely, new bookings are going to plummet from today. ☹️ Employ loads of people too, (including one of my cousins) Shit news around.

jonjones262
    Free Member

I guess the £4.5k they kept after I had to cancel my holiday hasn’t kept them going….

Cancelled due to 3 yo Daughter having serious brain injury (ADEM), they were buggers when I rang to cancel

davosaurusrex

My brother started a permanent job with them on Monday, after years subcontracting all around Europe he was well pleased to be able to settle in the Manchester area.

On the other hand he did vote for Brexit, figure that one out.

martinhutch

Pretty inevitable that one of the big holiday firms would go pop in the current climate. Wouldn’t be surprised to see another one hit the buffers as well. Sad news.

rone

The airline is separate – yeah?

dantsw13

Don’t think it is sadly.

chrismac

I think the shareholders should have to pay the balance of the repatriation costs rather than the taxpayer. As shareholders are the owners of the company it is their responsibility to employ the right people to run the company  hence the need for votes at the agm for executive and non executive  roles on the board

xora

I think the shareholders should have to pay the balance of the repatriation costs rather than the taxpayer.

The costs are already paid by previous travellers in an insurance fund :-

ATOL is able to provide this assistance by requiring ATOL holders to pay a fee for each traveller, which is held in a fund managed by the Air Travel Trust. This fund is used to refund, repatriate or reimburse travellers for the cost of repaying for the affected parts of their trip.

mashr

I guess the £4.5k they kept after I had to cancel my holiday hasn’t kept them going….

Cancelled due to 3 yo Daughter having serious brain injury (ADEM), they were buggers when I rang to cancel

So they stuck to their Ts & Cs and you claimed off insurance. Standard travel company stance tbh, wouldn’t hold it against them (has similar elsewhere when a family member died)

taxi25
    Free Member

So they stuck to their Ts & Cs and you claimed off insurance. 

You’d be amazed at how many people don’t take out insurance 🙁
    I’ve just booked a trip for nxt Febuary and haven’t taken out a cancellation policy. But it was only £540 so can afford to self insure. I couldn’t if it was a £4500 trip.
    Hope your daughter is well JJ262 and you all get a holiday 👍

scruff9252

“You’d be amazed at how many people don’t take out insurance 🙁”

I’ll put my head above the parapet and say it was embarrassingly recently it clicked for me that half the value in travel insurance was the cancellation part and it’s best to buy at time of booking the holiday. I used to buy insurance in the days immediately before flying – I assumed I was buying 10 or so days insurance from date of purchase previously.

Hope your daughter’s on the mend!

handybar
    Free Member

Will keep on happening, although things like brexit are having an effect, why would you bother with a package company when you can do it all online independently. I’m surprised so many have lasted this long.

tthew

The airline is separate – yeah?

Not at the moment as said, but apparently it is a profitable bit so they are trying to separate it.

davosaurusrex

Even if they do the tour operator is the airline’s biggest customer so whether the airline could survive without them is debatable, it would certainly have a massive impact with lots of redundancies

tomd
    Free Member

I think the shareholders should have to pay the balance of the repatriation costs rather than the taxpayer. As shareholders are the owners of the company it is their responsibility to employ the right people to run the company hence the need for votes at the agm for executive and non executive roles on the board

If you bought £1000 of Thomas Cook shares in Spring 2018 you would be sitting on £40 at the moment, which would fall to zero if they go bust. Shareholders take an absolute beating when companies go this way. I’m not sure how transferring extra liabilities on to shareholders would beneift anyone.

squirrelking
    Free Member

It’s also a public LIMITED company. The Limited part denotes the liability of the shareholders and is what differentiates it from a sole trader or partnership.

That Standard Grade 3 for Economics finally paying its way!

Edukator
    Free Member

A drop less kerosene burnt, I have mixed feeling. I feel sorry for the unfortunates stuck somewhere or losing the cost of the tickets, but every plane not flying is good news.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Brexit staycations then.

It is what they want after all, keep JonnyF out and UK Citizens in.

🤣💨💨💨💨

Drac

Sad to see a big company possibly going under hope it doesn’t happen for the staff and customers sake.

Can you imagine the size of the interview panel if shareholders were responsible for employing the staff.

johndoh
    Free Member

Now the cat is out of the bag, it seems collapse is even more likely, new bookings are going to plummet from today.

It has been on the cards for some time and I am surprised people have continued to book with them. We avoided using them when booking a holiday at the beginning of August (travelling in the third week of August) for that very reason. But I agree – I can’t see them surviving this without a huge cash injection/buy out from their Chinese investors (their major shareholder I believe).

footflaps

Now the cat is out of the bag, it seems collapse is even more likely, new bookings are going to plummet from today

They’ve been on the brink for some time, been in the Finance pages for weeks if not months…

Not at the moment as said, but apparently it is a profitable bit so they are trying to separate it.

The liquidator will sell of whatever bits it can, so that will probably survive.

taxi25
    Free Member

but every plane not flying is good news.

People will just fly with someone else, there won’t be an overall reduction in flights. But you know that don’t you 😉

oikeith

If they do go pop it will be the largest emergency repatriation effort since WW11 apparently

Did I miss world wars 3 to 10?

Seems like another market disrupted, pay more for a service with a rep onsite or pay less and dont receive that service, with the race to the bottom I guess most aren’t.

tthew

Now the cat is out of the bag, it seems collapse is even more likely, new bookings are going to plummet from today.

It has been on the cards for some time and I am surprised people have continued to book with them.

They’ve been on the brink for some time, been in the Finance pages for weeks if not months…

Oh yeah! I’d forgotten that, and I suspect that other recent customers have too. Maybe one significant plummet has already occurred and that’s adding to the problems now. My bosses wife is a finance director for them, (couldn’t remember if it was Thomas Cook or TUI) apparently she’s been pulling some long hours recently. 🙁

jonjones262
    Free Member

“I’ll put my head above the parapet and say it was embarrassingly recently it clicked for me that half the value in travel insurance was the cancellation part and it’s best to buy at time of booking the holiday. I used to buy insurance in the days immediately before flying – I assumed I was buying 10 or so days insurance from date of purchase previously.
    Hope your daughter’s on the mend!”

Cheers Scruff! 🙂

She’s getting there, hell of a scary time! I’m in the middle of sorting the travel insurance claim. It seemed crazy how after explain the situation (a week before due to fly), they were just “ok, the fee for cancelling is the full cost, thanks. bye!”

boomerlives
    Free Member

apparently she’s been pulling some long hours recently

Those documents won’t shred themselves.

Poopscoop

They have asked the government for a bailout.

This could be interesting.

Normally a Tory government would say **** off… But Boris seems a bit flush with cash in the run up to the election so we’ll see..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Thomas Cook likely to go pop. Plans being made to repatriate over 100,000 people’ is closed to new replies.