Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • This week pole is it me or…
  • juan
    Free Member

It will be more relevant to Road.cc? What is the point of asking fro length, when in mountains, points are distant of a certain time and/or altitude gain.
    To be fair when we asked each other how long a ride is, replies usually comes as XXXXm altitude gain. So I did click randomly because I know the altitude gain and loss of each ride (today was 1500m) but no idea of the length.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Keep taking teh pills Juan.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

mountains? we have some hills near where i live…
    i measure in distance.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I'm with Juan, people always ask me how long our rides are. I have no idea, I always say something like "It's about 3000m descending for maybe 250m of climbing."

Philby

Either specify in hours or sometimes in miles.

handyman
    Free Member

I think the word is poll

jimthesaint

I measure my pole in inches. I may change to altitude gain though.

juan
    Free Member

handy sorry for the bad spelling it was rather late. But it doesn't change the fact that using distance is just good for road bikes. For mountain activities it's just pish. Talking to people doing ski-walking or mountain walking and they never measure the length of the journey in distance.

Plus it's not miles it's kms, it is about time you people realise you're now in a metric country.

clubber
    Free Member

To be fair when we asked each other how long a ride is, replies usually comes as XXXXm altitude gain

I have never, ever said this. I've never had anyone say this to me either… Guess it's just too flat around here for it to make any sense 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

it is about time you people realise you're now in a metric country.

You're on a roll (or maybe a role?). Inside an hour, someone will call you a prick, and you will have a massive hissy fit about xenophobia. Am I right? 😉

clubber
    Free Member

What if I call him a pr!ck? I've got French nationality 🙂

(Only kidding Juan!)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Unless you live in a REALLY mountainous bit of country (lucky sod!) miles are perfectly acceptable, but usually I rate rides in time and type. 2 hours of fire-road. 1 hour of technical singletrack. When in alpine territory I just accept that it's all going to be hard and the ups average with the downs overall.

Speshpaul

"it is about time you people realise you're now in a metric country."

No we're not, the EU have given up on changing us!.
    And what makes the whole even more funny is that they made the annoucement just after the Irish had completed the change over, road sign and speedos an all.

What you have to do is measure distance in KM and ascent in Feet.
    Why, because both give you the highest figures.
    10m or 16Km?
    300ish m or a 1000 feet?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘This week pole is it me or…’ is closed to new replies.