Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • This tyre with this rim ???
  • downthemiddle
    Free Member

I have a DT swiss rim thats a 26mm outside and a 19.5mm inside ETRTO 622 x 19.5 measurement. Can I run this sensibly with a 2.3 tyre on ? or is the rim woefully undersized ? For a 29er 130mm full suss trail bike. The tyres were previously running on Specialized ROVAL rims which measured 26mm Outside and 20.5mm inside (although those were classed as 622 x 21) they came up ony 20.5

thomthumb
    Free Member

it will be fine.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Does it not compromise the handling if the rims to narrow, or am I reading too many mags ??

njee20
    Free Member

You’re massively over analysing.

wwaswas

it will be fine.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

I tend to do that 🙂

Heres the background, stumpy FSR 29er with stock ROVAL rims and crappy OEM hi lo hubs. Supposedly 21mm inside (but measure up at 20.5mm) with 2.3 tyres

Garbage freehub fails.

Dont want to carry on with those wheels as they are pure rubbish, Rims seal tubeless very badly indeed and freehub if replaced even under warranty will reportedly fail again as it is utter throw away s***e.

I also have a nice hardtail with decent enough DT wheels on with 19.5mm inside rims.

So I have a choice, do I invest in some wide trail wheels for the trail bike, or use the slightly narrower DT wheels on the Stumpy, and when the marathon season starts again, invest in some nice lighter wheels for the hardtail which I use for marathon events.

wwaswas

Use the DT’s for now and see how you get on?

njee20
    Free Member

So I have a choice, do I invest in some wide trail wheels for the trail bike, or use the slightly narrower DT wheels on the Stumpy, and when the marathon season starts again, invest in some nice lighter wheels for the hardtail which I use for marathon events.

core

Just swap them back and forth????

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Seems so ! Can we agree to use the word “slightly over analysing”
    Which makes me seems less mental 🙂

Northwind

Mavic recommend the 717 for up to 2.3 tyres, yours are internally wider. People get very excited about the difference, but the difference in profile between an averagey rim like yours and a fat one isn’t very big at all. (I’d happily bet that most of the people who believe it’s important couldn’t tell the difference in a blind challenge)

downthemiddle
    Free Member

I thought Mavic recommended 2.1 max on a 717 ?

Northwind

The website says 2.1 but the wheelrim stickers and manuals say 2.3.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I struggled with 717s when Panaracer Rampages. Even quite well inflated they felt like were going to roll off the rim on off camber stuff.
    Changed to an EN521 and its fine now. So try the tyres on the DT rims and see how it goes.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

I had rampages too, some time ago, they were a bit rolly if I remember

njee20
    Free Member

I ran 2.25″ tyres on a 717. They felt fine, they were (probably) a bit grippier than 2.1″ tyres. I have tried the same tyres on a Crest, Olympic and Podium rim. They felt very similar.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘This tyre with this rim ???’ is closed to new replies.