Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 384 total)
  • This Scottish Business
  • bencooper
    Free Member

a group of 2nd rate power hungry politicians who are feeding their own egos

Um – Cameron, Clegg, Osborne, Gove, Hunt,.. 😀

Can’t get in a real position of power in the Government?

What percentage of the UK population voted Conservative? Now what percentage of the Scottish population voted SNP?

There’s only one leader in the UK with an actual mandate from the electorate, and it’s not Cameron.

unknown
    Free Member

I honestly think the whole thing is nonsense and it’s a group of 2nd rate power hungry politicians who are feeding their own egos

You’re kidding right? Independence is the raison d’etre and central policy of the SNP, a party which has been steadily gaining support for 40 odd years and has been voted into power in the last 2 Scottish governments. The people of Scotland voted for a referendum but maybe we should just call it off as you think it’s a nonsense.

kimbers

it would be sad if the scots left and probably to the detriment of all

but the worst thing would be condeming the rest of the UK to an eternity of tory governments, Id never forgive them for that, though it may precipitate an actual v for vendetta style uprising

lostneverfound
    Free Member

If Scotland votes for independence, will that kill off the Union Jack or would it be modified, any idea what it would look like?

bencooper
    Free Member

but the worst thing would be condeming the rest of the UK to an eternity of tory governments, Id never forgive them for that, though it may precipitate an actual v for vendetta style uprising

I’d feel guilty if that was the case – but really the way Scotland votes hasn’t affected the result of an election for a long, long time.

Northwind

Shred – Member

So what happened to the point that in order to join the EU, an independent Scotland would need to start the process from scratch, and that means that have to take the Euro?

What happened to it? Nothing really- people who want to spread scare stories keep banging on about it even though it’s fiction, and people who have the slightest clue ignore it.

It gets covered in just about every thread on the subject but to recap- all new EU members are required to commit to joining the Euro, and are given a target date. But there’s no penalty or sanction for not meeting your joining criteria.

So, if you want to be in the EU but not in the euro it’s a simple matter of not satisfying the euro requirements- just as Sweden is already doing

BermBandit
    Free Member

Who do you think? The Scots.

I think you might be missing the point. I, and a considerable number of others are both entitled to and do consider ourselves to be Scottish. Some by birth, i.e. born there and moved away later, some by parentage, i.e. Scottish parents and brought up as Scottish, to name but two ways. Trying to undermine that reality with stupid points like “I bet you have some friends who are black” or trying to make an issue out of the non issue of the use of the term Jock as a familar collective term for Scots will not invalidate that point.

The simple fact is that there is a real issue here that goes rather further than simple tribalism.

bencooper
    Free Member

the term Jock as a familar collective term

A familiar derogatory collective term.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I think we should set some explosives at the borderline, blow them up and set the buggers free.

I’m not saying which side of the border I’m sitting but I wish they’d get on and do it to give us freedom from the tight fisted moaning gits.

🙂

unknown
    Free Member

I can think of plenty of familiar collective terms for the English, bit the swear filter won’t let me post any of them!

bencooper
    Free Member

I can think of plenty of familiar collective terms for the English, bit the swear filter won’t let me post any of them!

Don’t rise to it – this is what they want, to make independence out to be all about hating the English.

My father is English. My GF is English. Both live in Scotland, and will both vote Yes.

jekkyl

I’m a jock (born in Kirkcaldy) now living in Englandshire. The accent was good for getting the girls at Uni 😉
    I have faith in the people of scotland rejecting this nonsense. So many implications it’s difficult to know where to start.
    What about the joint armed forces?
    What about all the areas of the public sector that has been funded from the public purse and now become just Scotlands, will they help to support the national debt that was incurred by funding these areas?

On a lighter more humorous note: if Scotland was to have it’s own currency what would it be called? It has to be something uniquely scottish. The Haggis? 1 haggis/ 2 haggi? The sporran? The poond? 🙂

winston_dog
    Free Member

The people of Scotland voted for a referendum but maybe we should just call it off as you think it’s a nonsense.

IMO it’s nonsense. However, I never suggested to call it off. Crack on.

The SNP have fed off a “William Wallace everything would be better without the English myth”. A lot of the Scottish economy was built around heavy industry that suffered terribly in the 70’s and 80’s exactly the same as a lot of the rest of the UK. If that was inevitable is a different argument.

Personally I would prefer to stay as we are, however, I also think Scotland should have their referendum and if they wish to leave the Union then do so. However, it must be a fair split especially regards the national debt.

Also, if it’s a success, then I could always move there as we are all in the EU. If it’s a failure then never mind.

BermBandit
    Free Member

You’re kidding right? Independence is the raison d’etre and central policy of the SNP, a party which has been steadily gaining support for 40 odd years and has been voted into power in the last 2 Scottish governments. The people of Scotland voted for a referendum but maybe we should just call it off as you think it’s a nonsense.

I note the overwhelming vote in favour of the SNP and a referendum below.

I’d feel guilty if that was the case – but really the way Scotland votes hasn’t affected the result of an election for a long, long time.

See below.

Current list of Scotlands Westminster MP’s

Alexander, Danny (Liberal Democrat) Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey
    Alexander, Douglas (Labour) Paisley and Renfrewshire South
    Bain, William (Labour) Glasgow North East
    Banks, Gordon (Labour) Ochil and South Perthshire
    Begg, Anne (Labour) Aberdeen South
    Brown, Gordon (Labour) Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath
    Brown, Russell (Labour) Dumfries and Galloway
    Bruce, Malcolm (Liberal Democrat) Gordon
    Campbell, Menzies (Liberal Democrat) North East Fife
    Carmichael, Alistair (Liberal Democrat) Orkney and Shetland
    Clark, Katy (Labour) North Ayrshire and Arran
    Clarke, Tom (Labour) Coatbridge, Chryston and Bellshill
    Connarty, Michael (Labour) Linlithgow and East Falkirk
    Crockart, Mike (Liberal Democrat) Edinburgh West
    Curran, Margaret (Labour) Glasgow East
    Darling, Alistair (Labour) Edinburgh South West
    Davidson, Ian (Labour (Co-op)) Glasgow South West
    Docherty, Thomas (Labour) Dunfermline and West Fife
    Donohoe, Brian H. (Labour) Central Ayrshire
    Doran, Frank (Labour) Aberdeen North
    Doyle, Gemma (Labour (Co-op)) West Dunbartonshire
    Gilmore, Sheila (Labour) Edinburgh East
    Greatrex, Tom (Labour (Co-op)) Rutherglen and Hamilton West
    Hamilton, David (Labour) Midlothian
    Harris, Tom (Labour) Glasgow South
    Hood, Jim (Labour) Lanark and Hamilton East
    Hosie, Stewart (Scottish National) Dundee East
    Jamieson, Cathy (Labour (Co-op)) Kilmarnock and Loudoun
    Joyce, Eric (Independent) Falkirk
    Kennedy, Charles (Liberal Democrat) Ross, Skye and Lochaber
    Lazarowicz, Mark (Labour (Co-op)) Edinburgh North and Leith
    McCann, Michael (Labour) East Kilbride, Strathaven and Lesmahagow
    McClymont, Gregg (Labour) Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch East
    McGovern, Jim (Labour) Dundee West
    McGuire, Anne (Labour) Stirling
    McKechin, Ann (Labour) Glasgow North
    McKenzie, Iain (Labour) Inverclyde
    MacNeil, Angus Brendan (Scottish National) Na h-Eileanan an Iar
    Moore, Michael (Liberal Democrat) Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk
    Morrice, Graeme (Labour) Livingston
    Mundell, David (Conservative) Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale
    Murphy, Jim (Labour) East Renfrewshire
    Murray, Ian (Labour) Edinburgh South
    Nash, Pamela (Labour) Airdrie and Shotts
    O’Donnell, Fiona (Labour) East Lothian
    Osborne, Sandra (Labour) Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock
    Reid, Alan (Liberal Democrat) Argyll and Bute
    Robertson, Angus (Scottish National) Moray
    Robertson, John (Labour) Glasgow North West
    Roy, Frank (Labour) Motherwell and Wishaw
    Roy, Lindsay (Labour) Glenrothes
    Sarwar, Anas (Labour) Glasgow Central
    Sheridan, Jim (Labour) Paisley and Renfrewshire North
    Smith, Robert (Liberal Democrat) West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine
    Swinson, Jo (Liberal Democrat) East Dunbartonshire
    Thurso, John (Liberal Democrat) Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross
    Weir, Mike (Scottish National) Angus
    Whiteford, Eilidh (Scottish National) Banff and Buchan
    Wishart, Pete (Scottish National) Perth and North Perthshire

Now tell me that it wouldn’t have any effect on the rest of the UK!

bencooper
    Free Member

What about all the areas of the public sector that has been funded from the public purse and now become just Scotlands

We’ll take our share of the NHS (already separate anyway), our share of the BBC, our share of everything else that Scottish taxpayers have contributed to (including Sterling) and our share of the national debt.

You can have the nukes for free.

unknown
    Free Member

No-one’s saying every last person is for it, or that you have to be, but to call the referendum, something that the people of Scotland voted for, nonsense is downright ignorant. Or should we only action democracy when you agree with the outcome?

dragon
    Free Member

For my whole life, I’ve been ruled by a government that seems completely opposite to my views,

There is a fair chance that won’t change regardless of the outcome, as what are you suddenly expecting to happen on independence? Scotland will stay fairly middle ground liberal, with a slight left leaning. It isn’t going to change wildly from where we are now.

lostneverfound
    Free Member

Putting aside all the conflicting economic and lefty/righty mumbo jumbo, on the basis that the Union Jack will look crap (see above), please Scottish people stay in the UK.

bencooper
    Free Member

what are you suddenly expecting to happen on independence?

I’ll be ruled by a parliamentary system that, via PR, is at least trying to represent the views of all the citizens of the country.

As compared to Westminster, where all that matters are the views of a few undecided voters in a few marginal constituencies.

bencooper
    Free Member

– Scottish MPs have NEVER turned what would have been a Conservative government into a Labour one, or indeed vice versa.

– on only TWO occasions, the most recent of them being 38 years ago, (1964 and the second of the two 1974 elections), have Scottish MPs given Labour a majority they wouldn’t have had from England/Wales/NI alone. The majorities in question were incredibly fragile ones of four and three MPs respectively – the 1964 Labour government lasted barely 18 months, and the 1974 one had to be propped up by the Lib-Lab Pact through 1977-78 so in practice barely qualified as a majority. Without Scottish MPs but with Liberal support, Wilson would have had a majority of 12.

– and on ONE occasion (2010) the presence of Scottish MPs has deprived the Conservatives of an outright majority, although the Conservatives ended up in control of the government anyway in coalition with the Lib Dems.

– which means that for 62 of the last 67 years, Scottish MPs as an entity have had no practical influence over the composition of the UK government. From a high of 72 MPs in 1983, Scotland’s representation will by 2015 have decreased to 52, substantially reducing any future possibility of affecting a change.

Why Labour doesn’t need Scotland

grum
    Free Member

Don’t rise to it – this is what they want, to make independence out to be all about hating the English.

This is what who wants?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’m getting rather fed up of people continually trying to frame the debate as being about “getting one over” or “resenting” the English. The Yes campaign has been overtly positive and there really hasnt been much the “William Wallace everything would be better without the English” bluster that you think the SNP have been thriving off.

winston_dog
    Free Member

to call the referendum, something that the people of Scotland voted for, nonsense is downright ignorant.

I suppose your right. I should of said that IMO that the break of the UK is a stupid idea.

Or should we only action democracy when you agree with the outcome?

I think you are entitled to the referendum. Never suggested otherwise.

the people of Scotland voted for

Just because people vote for something doesn’t mean it’s a good idea now does it?

bencooper
    Free Member

For some light relief, the Treasury has suddenly announced (why today, of all days?) that independence would make Scots £1000 worse off.

That’s the same Treasury who said, at the beginning of the year, that independence would make Scots £1 worse off.

I think they’ve lost the decimal point on their calculator again…

BermBandit
    Free Member

Interestingly so can I and now I think about it there is a considerable element of the pot calling the kettle black don’t you think? So how about talking to each other like grown ups instead?

franksinatra

Independence is the raison d’etre and central policy of the SNP, a party which has been steadily gaining support for 40 odd years and has been voted into power in the last 2 Scottish governments. The people of Scotland voted for a referendum

Not able to back this up with evidence but I suspect SNP has been getting more votes not because of its independence stance but instead because voters do not want to vote Tory or Labour

binners

Bloody hell! I’ve just realised. We’ve got a Scotlandshire thread and we’ve not had this posted yet…

vorlich
    Free Member

BB. I called you out on using a derogatory term. Either take on board the fact that many Scots find it offensive and stop using it, or come north, use the term freely and see how far your Scottish heritage excuse gets you.

It’s not a ‘non-issue’ IMO.

GDRS

Just thinking about a few ‘what happens if…..’

So Mrs GDRS would take a Scottish Passport if they existed. Her father lives near Wick so there is link by ancestry. What would happen if everyone eligable for a Scottish passport ‘returned home’, Say to retire or have kids? Or if they married, and their spouse (i.e.me) was then eligable for a passport. Would these scenrios beneift Scotland or be too much of a stretch for the infrustructure?

I can see that the issuing of Scotish passports to the diaspora could be a money spinner. How big is the ‘Scottish nation’ if everyone eligable for a passport took one up?

On a simialr note, how many Canadian’s / Aussy’s and Kiwi’s would be eligible for passports – and would this be a legitimate way for people with ancester claims to enter the UK to work (as they would switch from a commonwealth passport with limited work rights to an EU passport with freedom of movement).

Would UK passport holders in scotland (who are Scottish) be asked to surrender their passports?

Current UK companies with offices in Scotland – Would a Scottish administration be forced to offer tax breaks etc to companies to keep parts of thier work force over the boarder? As a similar example is Nokia in Helsinki – they employ so many people in Finland they can boss the government around (taxes breaks etc). Or is this an oppertunity to increase employment in Scotland buy luring businesses to Scotland for faverable tax treatment?

If the Euro were adopted as a currency would that creat a ‘Dover – Calais’ / ‘Derry – Galway’ effect where excahange rate drives cross
    boarder consumer trade (petrol & groceries etc). Does that in the long run benefit the North of the UK and towns like Carlisle – or put more pressure on these local economies?

*My personal view on the whole thing is that it’s all or nothing. Vote in or out – and then see what happens in the morning!

scotroutes

On eligibility…

The following groups are entitled to be on the electoral register for the referendum:

British citizens resident in Scotland.
    Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland who have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave.
    Citizens of the Republic of Ireland and other EU countries resident in Scotland.
    Members of the House of Lords resident in Scotland.
    Service personnel serving in the UK or overseas with the armed forces who are registered to vote in Scotland.
    Crown personnel serving outside the UK with HM Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.

I assume that Crown/Service personnel don’t get to vote in any elections local to themselves? E.g. if you’re a UK citizen working in the US embassy you don’t get to vote in any US elections?

Northwind

dragon – Member

There is a fair chance that won’t change regardless of the outcome, as what are you suddenly expecting to happen on independence? Scotland will stay fairly middle ground liberal, with a slight left leaning. It isn’t going to change wildly from where we are now.

In the majority of elections in the last 60 years, Scotland has ended up with a party they haven’t voted for. So yes, it’ll change wildly. Scotland will stay middle/left/liberal and we’ll stop getting governments most of the time which aren’t.

vorlich
    Free Member

So how about talking to each other like grown ups instead?

A great idea. Some mutual respect. If only you’d started your thread in that manner.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

konabunny – Member
    The currency point ignores the fact that monetary policy is set by global capitalism. Currency sovereignty is a myth

I think you would get an interesting response if you tried to sell that idea to the youth of Spain, Italy, Portugal etc…

Ben – I struggle with you arguments re French/independence, £ and your use of Ireland as a blueprint for success, but like you ideas about the Yes v No campaign and how this comes across.

Of course, this is the Yes side’s trump card. Most of your (the yes camp) basic points will be irrefutable and can be expressed like a classic cold reading. We want to have more say, we want a better Scotland, we want a place where our children will be happier growing up, we want better services, education, beer (spesh is pish) etc. Hard to argue against any of that. But then the crux. How do you deliver that? When the no campaign (correctly IMO) picks holes in “the how”, this is very easy to portray as being negative and/or scaremongering. Its nothing of the sort, but that will not prevent this line of argument being used for the rest of the campaign.

Ditto, Salmond and Sturgeon are masters at playing the Westminster bully boys card. When do they play this? Exactly when their own attempts to (bully?) maximise Scotlands self interests (unsurprisingly) at the expense of the rest of the UK come up against resistance (again unsurprisingly). I think this explains a lot of the animosity in England. Of course this is neither a vote for Salmond nor against Cameron but it easily becomes so. Salmond wants his cake and to eat it (and more). His blatant opportunism and masquearding behind “Westminster bullies us”, grates south of the border * (sorry 😉 ). That and the fact that after all this time, he still hasn’t properly thought things through. And not just little things but the major issues that will determine the future wellbeing of the Scotland. That is unforgivable in my mind and if the vote does go “no” then those who wish for independence should never let him forget this lack of detailed preparation. He’s had enough time.

* Sturgeon’s rather sad attempt to argue about the share of Uk liabilities this morning is a prime example.

NW – on the topic of self-interest (mine in this case!!! 😉 ) can you remind me what would happen to English/Welsh students applications to Scottish Unis in the case of a yes vote. How will you admission policies be affected, if at all, and what about fees for residents of England or Wales?

BermBandit
    Free Member

which means that for 62 of the last 67 years, Scottish MPs as an entity have had no practical influence over the composition of the UK government

Or to put it another way since World War 2 out of the 6 terms of Labour government 2 or 1/3rd were directly as a result of the Scottish MP’s. So instead of 10 Tory and one tory dominated coaltion we would have had 13 periods of Tory domination, out of 17 which is 75% near as damn it which is precisely what we lefties down here are worried about.

Interesting how you can manuipulate both words and statistics isn’t it?

bencooper
    Free Member

The only reason the No campaign can pick holes in the “how” is that Westminster refuses to discuss the possibility.

winston_dog
    Free Member

The only reason the No campaign can pick holes in the “how” is that Westminster refuses to discuss the possibility.

Sorry Ben, not sure what you are trying to say there?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

can you elaborate?

yossarian
    Free Member

IMO the details and the finances need to follow after the basic question has been answered. The remainder of our shared island and the EU aren’t going to stand by and watch Scotland go tits up. Take the bullshit and made up stats from both sides out of the argument and simply answer do you want to break away from the UK. Yes or no. Everything else will equal itself out over time.

If I had a vote it would be yes.

scotroutes

Here’s a good example…

There are a lot of competing claims about the position of iScotland in the EU. The EU have said that they would be only too willing to provide a definitive answer – but only in response to a request from the UK Government. So far, the UK Government have declined to put forward that request. Why? Perhaps they just like the uncertainty…or perhaps they have an inkling that they’ll not like the answer? Much better to stand at the side and heckle. It’s called FUD – Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

richmtb

Well you have one side who point blank refuses to provide information about how a post independence settlement might work

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 384 total)

The topic ‘This Scottish Business’ is closed to new replies.