• This topic has 27 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • This saddle? It's 650b specific, of course
  • slackalice
    Free Member

Good grief. They don’t help themselves do they?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Makes the arse feel alive?

damascus
    Free Member

Oh no, does that mean I need a new saddle for my 29er?

teasel
    Free Member

Pah! If what they claim is correct then continuing to use your current saddle will eventually create that weird cutaway…

bikebouy
    Free Member

What a pile of shite 🙄

brooess
    Free Member

Um, the problem is (and he’s essentially admitted this) that 650B wheels are too big for the size frame/rider they’ve designed the bike for!

And you wonder why we ‘put up with’ 26 for 30 years… cos it worked!

I predict the imminent death of 650B when it becomes clear you can’t actually design a mountain bike that works with those size wheels. Blithering idiots 😯

slackalice
    Free Member

brooess, that’s just as ridiculous a statement as a wheel size specific saddle! 🙂

Unless of course I’ve misuse your sarcasm?!

Bregante

That’s it.

I’m off to my shed to develop a 650b pump and 29er specific pedals.

kickstarter here I come

brooess
    Free Member

Pivot founder Chris Cocalis: “It quickly became apparent that we weren’t going to be able to use the geometry we wanted to use with a conventional saddle on our upcoming 27.5? carbon downhill bike. We wanted to maintain the same travel, chainstay length and rider positioning as on our current 26? Phoenix DH bike and this presented an overall clearance challenge with current seat and rail profiles. Something had to give,

brooess, that’s just as ridiculous a statement as a wheel size specific saddle!

He does basically admit the bike design won’t work unless they change the saddle…

scraggy
    Free Member

Where are these 650b trails?ive been riding the 26 ones,there must be new trails that are 26 ers can’t cope with.wonder if there’s a workout to get a 650b backside to fit that perch

Northwind

Not a new thing though, saddle/wheel interaction’s always been an issue with some dh bikes. There’s nothing in the world less cutting edge than a 224 and mine needs the saddle higher than I might otherwise put it, otherwise it hits the wheel.

parkesie
    Free Member

650b specific.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fizik were promoting 29er specific saddles the last few years, at least theirs made sense, longer to allow for more weight shifting on the longer wheelbases.

stim
    Free Member

It’s not that the bike design won’t work, it’s that you wouldn’t be able to quite achieve the same saddle position as you could on an equivalent 26 bike. Saddle position is very important to many downhillers, especially high level ones so if you can achieve an extra 10mm lower saddle or 10mm further back, then why not have a saddle with extra clearance built in? The saddle is not 650B specific (although the Bike Rumor chaps obviously know how to push certain people’s buttons 🙂 ), it would still be useful on a 26inch DH bike for certain size people and frame sizes.

cookeaa

Parksie that’s just the natural evolution from this of course… But of course neither is 650b specific.

matther01
    Free Member

Dear lord whatever next?! 😯

Kryton57

We wanted to maintain the same travel, chainstay length and rider positioning as on our current 26?

There’s a simple answer for that, still available from most leading bike shops….

JCL
    Free Member

Makes a lot of sense although they should have called it high clearance rather than 650b specific.

brakes
    Free Member

Surely black isn’t a very suitable colour for 650B?

scaredypants

I see the price tag is tailored to the new 650b industry standard too 😯

D0NK

We wanted to maintain the same travel, chainstay length and rider positioning as on our current 26? Phoenix DH bike

does that read to everyone else as “we wanted to shoehorn the new cool wheel size into a bunch of frames we’d already made so we’re having to bodge the saddle.” ?

Brooes I think they could design a 650b frame it’s just these guys can’t be arsed

Damascus you mean you’ve been using a 26er saddle? ****ing amateur, 29er saddles been around yonks

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1, I read that as ” we’re trying to sell our existing frame with trendy wheels. But we crashed on the test run.”

user-removed
    Free Member

Other than the colourful toy, I really like that Trek ^^^.

Trimix
    Free Member

Marketing hey !

Capable of emptying your wallet and filling your life with stuff you dont need.

Its almost brilliant.

vermillion
    Free Member

I’m off to my shed to develop a 650b pump and 29er specific pedals

Bregante,
    29er pedals already invented.

RustySpanner

THIS is how stupid they think we are.

We must destroy everything and start again.

D0NK

It’s not marketing, it’s a bodge. Well it is marketing I guess but it’s a “the frame is not designed for 650b wheels so we did this bodge, specific saddle” which isn’t quite snappy enough so they just went with 650b specific. Still turd polishing and worthy of plenty of scorn just make sure you call them out for the crap design fix it is, rather than branding choices.

I’m sure that if khs can build a 29er DH bike with a standard saddle other companies can manage it with the much smaller wheel size – if they could be bothered.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘This saddle? It's 650b specific, of course’ is closed to new replies.