Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • This plastics ban
  • Trekster

Dickyboy…. what’s the cost you buying what you do v packaged goods?

I can’t get my head around banning stuff that gets into our seas!!! How does it get there????

I have a “reserve” nearby covered in plastic bottles, packaging etc. Now it’s easy to blame the kids who use it to get to and from a school nearby but there are many adults who use the tracks and a building site borders it……..

Oir roadside verges are littered with all kinds of packaging.

Do we need to “ban “ everything or do we need to “educate” those who choose to dispose of their waste onto land which then finds its way into our rivers and seas……

Surely responsible disposal of waste would be much more preferable???? Much in the same way as sVer driving, responsible cycling etc, etc……….

How many keyboard warriors realised the click their keyboard makes is due to a piece of said plastic??? Their iPhone uses a piece of plastic possibly made in Scotland as does a lot of motor vehicle plastics. Your tin cans are lined with plastic for 2 reasons, one to prevent that “tin”taste and the other to allow the tin can to be made thinner and cheaper. Your solar panels are lined with plastics

There are many reasons/laws why some plastics cannot be recycled.. research it

I May or may not work at:

http://www.dupontteijinfilms.com/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Surely responsible disposal of waste would be much more preferable???? Much in the same way as sVer driving, responsible cycling etc, etc……….

What is responsible disposal? Landfill?

The issue here is very clear though through laziness and bad habits we now produce millions of tonnes of plastic that has the sole purpose of being used once then binned.

How many keyboard warriors realised the click their keyboard makes is due to a piece of said plastic???

Given the resources required to make it I’d rather have a keyboard made of plastic than a few thousand drinking straws that will be binned tomorrow.

Dickyboy

@ trekster – it does cost about 25% more from grocers, but to be honest food seem better quality and there is still some plastic packing involved, but mostly it’s select your own into paper bags. It’s on wife’s way home from work so no extra travelling either. Unfortunately the human race is lazy and business is unscrupulous so I think regulation or financial penalties is the only way forward to a) reduce use in the first place & b) promote use of recyclable plastics. Look at the 80% reduction in use of plastic shopping bags for starters.

anagallis_arvensis

Do we need to “ban “ everything or do we need to “educate” those who choose to dispose of their waste onto land which then finds its way into our rivers and seas……

How you going to do that?

ossify

On a related note…

I started recycling PE bags and film, as we get the monthly shop delivered by the supermarket this is very easy (the drivers will collect it).
    https://www.recyclenow.com/what-to-do-with/plastic-film

It’s quite amazing how much gets recycled, hardly any of it carrier bags either.

However, this has introduced a lot of ranting!
    How hard is it for manufacturers to put the resin code (for type of plastic) on their packaging? Such an easy thing to do and might make a big difference.
    And don’t even get me started on the (often) uselessness of these symbols: https://www.recyclenow.com/recycling-knowledge/packaging-symbols-explained

For example: “not yet recycled”, meaning less than 20% of councils collect it for recycling. Hardly any councils collect plastic film therefore you’ll often find bags stamped with this even though EVERY DAMN SUPERMARKET IN THE COUNTRY will happily recycle the stuff. I’ve come across bags stamped with this and then the “recyclable ldpe” stamp right next to it.
    And the most bloody stupid one yet “Pastic – check local recycling” and then not mentioning which type of plastic. Aaargh. Do I put it in one of the recycling bins and hope for the best (because contaminating is bad) or just chuck it in general waste?
    I know my recycling of little bags makes only a tiny difference but it’s still infuriating.

A mildly interesting side note regarding the local delivery drivers:
    Tesco: always happy to take it and cheery.
    Asda: usually give me a look as if I’m being really weird, but take it anyway. One driver had never heard of this but took it “this once” so he could check with his bosses, he’d been doing the job for over a year.
    Sainsbury’s: only used them once for this but the driver was very happy and said this used to happen a lot before the carrier bag charge was introduced.

slowoldman

Two bricks?

perchypanther
    Free Member

By getting wildlife camera legend and serial polar bear annoyer Doug Allan to tell kiddies about it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-45978280

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘This plastics ban’ is closed to new replies.